Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:11 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Are you a follower? ...or a FOLLOWER?

Are you a follower?
…or a FOLLOWER?
by OneAccord (June, 2008)

Interesting thing about the Bible. You read a word, thinking it means one thing, but it sometimes means something else entirely. Or, a word means one thing in one verse, and means something else entirely somewhere else.

That’s the case with the word “follow”. Usually the word “follow” comes from the Greek word “akoloutheō" which means to:

1) to follow one who precedes, join him as his attendant, accompany him
2) to join one as a disciple, become or be his disciple
a) side with his party.

Simply put, to “follow” means to become a disciple. This is what the word means when Jesus said “follow Me”. It means to join Him, to accompany Him, and to be His disciple. Notice how the word “follow” seems almost passive? Do nothing…just follow. And, if we were to stop right there (as people often do), it would seem that Jesus is telling us that nothing is expected of us, nothing is required of us but to follow Him. Just join Him. Just “accompany Him”. Just be “His disciple”.

However, elsewhere in the NT, the word “follow” has a different meaning. For example: Rom 14:19 Let us therefore FOLLOW after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. Here, the word FOLLOW comes from the Greek word, “diōkō” which means:

1) to make to run or flee, put to flight, drive away
2) to run swiftly in order to catch a person or thing, to run after
a) to press on: figuratively of one who in a race runs swiftly to reach the goal
b) to pursue (in a hostile manner)
3) in any way whatever to harass, trouble, molest one
a) to persecute
b) to be mistreated, suffer persecution on account of something
4) without the idea of hostility, to run after, follow after: someone
5) metaph., to pursue
a) to seek after eagerly, earnestly endeavour to acquire

Notice the difference. Here (and elsewhere in Pauls writings) the word “FOLLOW” is more active. It has a sense of urgency associated with it. The word “FOLLOW” (I use capitals to distinguish “FOLLOW” [diōkō] from “follow” [akoloutheō]. I’m reminded of the words of Jesus (underlined): Mat 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. To be a follower of Christ, we do nothing but follow- but to be a FOLLOWER, we get serious, we run swiftly, we actively pursue, we press in, we seek eagerly, we become hostile in the pursuit of our goals. That’s what it means to really FOLLOW Jesus.

What are some things we should actively FOLLOW? What are some things we should “run swiftly after” and actively pursue?

We’ve already seen one:
Peace and things that edify Rom 14:19

Then theres….
1Cr 14:1 FOLLOW after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

1Ti 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and FOLLOW after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

1Th 5:15 See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever FOLLOW that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all [men].

2Ti 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but FOLLOW righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Hbr 12:14 FOLLOW peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

These are just a few examples of what it means to FOLLOW Christ, rather than merely “follow Christ”. To FOLLOW Christ as Paul spoke requires effort on our part. We think to “follow Christ” requires no effort, no exertion. However, FOLLOWING Christ requires a good deal of effort on our part. Christian characteristics don’t always come easy for the fallen human race. Things like “peace, “charity”, “righteousness” and so on, are things we need to “actively pursue”. We think we have “arrived” when we begin following the Lord, but then God wakes us up to the fact that we shouldn’t just “follow” Him, but we should really FOLLOW Him. Notice: Phl 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I FOLLOW after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. In essence, Paul is saying he “actively pursues, he becomes hostile in his efforts to attain, he presses on, and runs swiftly” after the things of God. What else did Paul say? Phl 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Paul presses on for his goal in a hostile, active manner.

Yes, salvation is a free gift. Many secular denominations point to verses that seem to imply that salvation requires no effort on our part whatsoever… just accept God’s free gift of salvation. Nothing is expected of us, nothing is required of us. Sounds great, doesn’t it ? Just follow Jesus. But… that’s just one side of the coin. If we follow Him long enough, we’ll soon discover there's more for us to do to really FOLLOW Him. Multitudes followed Jesus initially, but when they soon discovered that something is required of them, many turned away from actually FOLLOWING Him. Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Notice in this verse how something is required of those who follow the Lord? We do a disservice to our hearers when we paint the walk with Jesus as a “tip toe through the tulips” walk that requires no effort on our part but to follow. We need encourage one another to FOLLOW Jesus. We need to FOLLOW after the things of God which includes HOLINESS. We need to actively pursue peace and fellowship with our brothers and sisters in the Lord. We need to press after righteousness and godliness. The things of God aren’t handed to us on a silver platter. We must be violent and hostile in our quest to really FOLLOW the Lord.

So… are we followers of Jesus? Or are we FOLLOWERS of Jesus?

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
blueaugust

Re: Are you a follower? ...or a FOLLOWER?

Nice post OneAccord...

Can I use this as a topic for our Adults Sunday School?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Sure ya can, Brother. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Very, very good OA!

Thanks for writing!
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

gooden///reminded me of a message i preached one time on are u a pillar or a pillow. lol. being a true redneck tried to make the words sound the same lol. anyhow good post oneaccord .. SO WHICH ARE YOU GONNA DO? OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH... love ya man.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:52 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorrick1959 View Post
gooden///reminded me of a message i preached one time on are u a pillar or a pillow. lol. being a true redneck tried to make the words sound the same lol. anyhow good post oneaccord .. SO WHICH ARE YOU GONNA DO? OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH... love ya man.
Oh... thats cold, Brother. You got me there. I'm gonna FOLLOW... but gotta follow first.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:58 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Jam 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

FOLLOWERS DO the Word. Followers only hear. I guess, right now, I'm the latter.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:15 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
Jam 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

FOLLOWERS DO the Word. Followers only hear. I guess, right now, I'm the latter.
On Father's Day I believe this is so perfect - - - Our Father set an example for us and we should do all within ourselves to FOLLOW Him!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
On Father's Day I believe this is so perfect - - - Our Father set an example for us and we should do all within ourselves to FOLLOW Him!!!
Amen, Sister. You preach it!!!