Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Pride of the Neighborhood

"Years of Delay" Saved Lives

This is the title to an op-ed piece in USA Today yesterday written by Marc A. Thiessen who served in senior positions at the Pentagon and the White House from 2001-2009. He has a new book coming out in January called "Courting Disaster: How the CIA Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack". This is one of the best editorials I have read in a long time. I'll just offer a few highlights:

Attorney Eric Holder took several swipes at President Bush for failing to prosecute 9/11 terrorists. "After eight years of delay, those responsible for the attacks...will finally face justice. No more delay. It is time--it is past time--to finally act."

Thiessen goes on to say that Bush purposely delayed prosecution of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and other accused 9/11 terrorists. He also says that the fact that Holder considers this a mistake exposes a dangerous mentality on the part of the Obama admin, one that increases the risk that our country will suffer another terrorist attack.

When KSM was captured in 2003 he refused to answer questions. He said "I'll tell you everything when I get to New York and see my lawyer." Instead the Bush admin sent KSM to a CIA "black site" where intelligence about future terrorist attacks was procured. When asked about his plans he said, "Soon you will know". He declared Americans were weak, lacked resilience, and were unable to do what is necessary to prevent the terrorists from succeeding in their goals.

After undergoing "enhanced interrogation techniques" including waterboarding KSM became prolific. According declassified documents he provided info that led to the capture of a cell of Southeast Asian terrorists KSM had tasked to hijack a plane and fly it into the tallest skyscraper in LA. He provided info that led to the capture of terrorists who were about to blow up the US consulate and Western residences in Pakistan. Two businessmen were arrested that were working with KSM to smuggle explosives into the US. He gave info that helped break up an al-Qaeda cell that was developing anthrax for attacks in the US.

He explained al-Qaeda's operating structure, financing, communications and logistics, how AQ sought targets, the profiles of Western operatives, what probable targets were & the methods of attack. He gave the US a picture of AQ as seen from the inside at a time when we knew almost nothing about the enemy.

In other words, the delay in KSM's prosecution, and that of other CIA detainees, saved lives.

Only after KSM had been exhausted as a source did Bush transfer him to Gitmo for trial by military commission. Once the legal obstacles had been cleared in 2008 the commissions got under way. And when they did, KSM and his co-conspirators all offered to plead guilty and proceed straight to execution.

By taking them to civilian court Holder has effectively rejected KSM's guilty plea. A lawyer for one of the detainees has said that all five plan to plead not guilty "so they can have a trial and try to get their message out". If not for Holder they'd be on death row instead of preparing for a trial that will take years. And Holder chastises Bush for delaying justice for 9/11 families?

Bush's first priority was getting intelligence from KSM to save lives. Under Obama and Holder that is no longer America's top priority. We have given up the capability to interrogate terrorists like KSM. We have returned to the flawed law enforcement mentality of the 1990s where terrorists were read their Miranda rights instead of questioning them to stop more attacks. We are in greater danger as a result.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.

Last edited by deacon blues; 11-25-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
crakjak

Re: "Years of Delay" Saved Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
This is the title to an op-ed piece in USA Today yesterday written by Marc A. Thiessen who served in senior positions at the Pentagon and the White House from 2001-2009. He has a new book coming out in January called "Courting Disaster: How the CIA Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack". This is one of the best editorials I have read in a long time. I'll just offer a few highlights:

Attorney Eric Holder took several swipes at President Bush for failing to prosecute 9/11 terrorists. "After eight years of delay, those responsible for the attacks...will finally face justice. No more delay. It is time--it is past time--to finally act."

Thiessen goes on to say that Bush purposely delayed prosecution of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and other accused 9/11 terrorists. He also says that the fact that Holder considers this a mistake exposes a dangerous mentality on the part of the Obama admin, one that increases the risk that our country will suffer another terrorist attack.

When KSM was captured in 2003 he refused to answer questions. He said "I'll tell you everything when I get to New York and see my lawyer." Instead the Bush admin sent KSM to a CIA "black site" where intelligence about future terrorist attacks was procured. When asked about his plans he said, "Soon you will know". He declared Americans were weak, lacked resilience, and were unable to do what is necessary to prevent the terrorists from succeeding in their goals.

After undergoing "enhanced interrogation techniques" including waterboarding KSM became prolific. According declassified documents he provided info that led to the capture of a cell of Southeast Asian terrorists KSM had tasked to hijack a plane and fly it into the tallest skyscraper in LA. He provided info that led to the capture of terrorists who were about to blow up the US consulate and Western residences in Pakistan. Two businessmen were arrested that were working with KSM to smuggle explosives into the US. He gave info that helped break up an al-Qaeda cell that was developing anthrax for attacks in the US.

He explained al-Qaeda's operating structure, financing, communications and logistics, how AQ sought targets, the profiles of Western operatives, what probable targets were & the methods of attack. He gave the US a picture of AQ as seen from the inside at a time when we knew almost nothing about the enemy.

In other words, the delay in KSM's prosecution, and that of other CIA detainees, saved lives.

Only after KSM had been exhausted as a source did Bush transfer him to Gitmo for trial by military commission. Once the legal obstacles had been cleared in 2008 the commissions got under way. And when they did, KSM and his co-conspirators all offered to plead guilty and proceed straight to execution.

By taking them to civilian court Holder has effectively rejected KSM's guilty plea. A lawyer for one of the detainees has said that all five plan to plead not guilty "so they can have a trial and try to get their message out". If not for Holder they'd be on death row instead of preparing for a trial that will take years. And Holder chastises Bush for delaying justice for 9/11 families?

Bush's first priority was getting intelligence from KSM to save lives. Under Obama and Holder that is no longer America's top priority. We have given up the capability to interrogate terrorists like KSM. We have returned to the flawed law enforcement mentality of the 1990s where terrorists were read their Miranda rights instead of questioning them to stop more attacks. We are in greater danger as a result.
What stupidity!!! These folks are sadly lacking in rational comprehension, liberalism really is a mental disorder. What does that say for Americans for voting them into office, delusion?
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org