Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post
I've heard stories just like this one, but have not experienced being in a service where this has happened. I have no problem with girls/ladies not cutting their hair for whatever reason.
Neither do I, but that's not the point of this thread. Doctrine is my point, and false doctrine at that.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Coffee Ms. View Post
I’ve never seen women so blatantly flaunt the fact that they are now doing all the things done by the Charasmatics, yet continuing to label themselves Apostolic..
Apostolic’s have always taught separation from the world, and a holiness standard of dress….. Now Modern day liberated women have decided things of old are just not for them. So they are using the words like “Trapped,” “In bondage“, and “legalism“. And as one said that “A woman’s hair is her glory, It doesn’t have to be long hair.” When in fact the Bible says a woman’s LONG hair is her GLORY.
I am not a preacher, but I am certainly not attempting to change the word in order to please myself either

That's funny. In the 'days of old', even the harlots dressed modestly!

Ever ask yourself how you could tell the Apostolic women from all other women 100 years ago?

I've seen lots of pics, and let me tell ya, there is no difference. The 'church' of today just wants women to dress like they did 100 years ago while the men are free to change and continue looking like other men of the world.

Why don't the men feel that the 'days of old' are good enough for them?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
for you women who cut your hair, FINE, but you don't have to be so condesending to the ones who hold fast to the old time teaching. that's not right and you know it
I have yet to see anyone on this thread or on this forum be condescending to women who don't cut their hair.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Invisible Thad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
The power of God coming out of her hair????? Yes, I'm denying it!

PS. I've worked all day and just got home, so allow me to catch up on these posts.

No one said anything about the power coming out of her hair
the spirit that hit the place came down from glory
joy, don't attempt to take away peoples' experiences with God
I really think that is dangerous. you should stop trying to figure God out with nothing more than human reasoning. Do you think that Namon would have recieved his healing if he tried to figure God out ??? God's ways are not ours and his ways are far above our feeble attempts to analyze the power of God
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Prince View Post
Oh, boy. I know I'm gonna get into trouble, but I can't hardly stand to let this one go by.

I wish that every woman would stop cutting their hair. I think it benefits their walk with God. I think it benefits the church. I believe it benefits our society, and the church's witness. Comprende?

BUT! This is NUTS!

A woman's hair is NOT her glory. It is a glory TO HER!

The power on her head is NOT HER HAIR! If anything it is God honoring her with his presence and anointing because of a spirit of obedience--BUT LET ME PROMISE YOU THAT IF YOU HAVE A REBELLIOUS SPIRIT--YOU CAN HAVE YOUR HAIR TOUCH YOUR TOES AND YOU WILL HAVE NO ANOINTING OR POWER FROM IT!!!

Her testimony, because of her hair, can have a powerful effect and demonstration, sure--but you don't get more anointing the longer your hair gets.

We can build this thing up so far that it is just stupid...taking the glory away from God...and turning it over from the Creator to the created creature.

It is a glory TO HER because it demonstrates something ABOUT HER! But, hypocrisy can reign where there has never been a pair of scissors--and sincerity and purity can reign where the scissors were just at.

Hair is an extremely important subject--I agree--but we not only can strain at a gnat and swallow a camel--we can strain at a principle and swallow a work.
I have to wonder why black women don't have these kinds of stories. I'm not positive, but I'd be willing to bet that if it were a black woman telling the story I opened this thread with, it would not have seemed that powerful to the audience.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Invisible Thad

Quote:
I have to wonder why black women don't have these kinds of stories. I'm not positive, but I'd be willing to bet that if it were a black woman telling the story I opened this thread with, it would not have seemed that powerful to the audience.

you're not being racial are you?? I sure hope they wouldn't take it that way if they saw this thread perhaps thinking that you are implying their hair is inferior
Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Prince View Post
Sis...I have answered that 20 times if I have answered it once. You don't agree with me on ANY ONE SINGLE POINT. I still have great respect for you, and value the thoughts you bring to bear on the subject. I have no desire, nor do I have the time to debate this. I just couldn't let the "magic hair" thing pass. It's bogus. I think you agree with me on this.

I will just restate in summary what I have many times said. Long hair on a woman looks more feminine and does not detract from her beauty. It tends away from some of the "gender-mixing" and "outlandish styles" that many of the modern styles bring the bear. (That does not mean that it totally eradicates them.) Our ladies stand out, and the beauty of their hair has a very wonderful attraction--and not just to them in a sensual manner....although long hair can be used that way. I have never seen a woman that I thought looked better with short hair than she did with long.

You speak as a white man about the hair of white women. Black men don't speak this way, even in the UPC. Know why? Because God didn't see fit to give black women the ability to grow 'long' hair, in most cases! Black women's hair doesn't look much different than the men, unless the men shave theirs. Their hair isn't an attraction. It doesn't get the stares that long hair on a white women would get.

This is only one of several problems that the 'long hair looks more feminine and gives more of a distinction between genders' arguments have. Black women just can't compete.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
She went on to tell us that it's not the length of our hair, but it's the power in it. She said that when people see your hair and comment on how beautiful it is, it's not because it's beautiful it's because they are feeling the power of God come out from it.
Bump for all you people that thought this was an anti long hair thread or this was about poopooing an esperience with God...

The above is THE reason for this thread.

Notice "it's the poewr IN IT (hair)" and "they are feeling the power of God come OUT from it (hair)"......

That is what was disturbing, not her saying she felt God nor that they have long uncut hair, but the doctrine that teaches in HER OWN WORDS that power (God's power/Spirit) is coming OUT of her hair...yikes! Come on people, we can believe in God and miracles, but that is just weird, let alone unbiblical. BTW where does the power of God come out of on the man? Or is he powerless unless married to a woman with uncut hair?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
You speak as a white man about the hair of white women. Black men don't speak this way, even in the UPC. Know why? Because God didn't see fit to give black women the ability to grow 'long' hair, in most cases! Black women's hair doesn't look much different than the men, unless the men shave theirs. Their hair isn't an attraction. It doesn't get the stares that long hair on a white women would get.

This is only one of several problems that the 'long hair looks more feminine and gives more of a distinction between genders' arguments have. Black women just can't compete.
Most whities (hehe) probably have no idea how hard it is to straighten black hair too
Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
BP- Bless you for trying but middle ground is much harder to stand on with this issue than either end.

I think what you said in answering is that it is basically personal preference that makes "you" feel good about seeing women with uncut hair. You think their dedication to God shines through it...

However, I doubt that society sees it in the same way as you do. I suspect it would be more akin to their reaction to Muslim women wearing head coverings. Something burdensome... (NOT SAYING THAT IT IS FOR ALL WOMEN), just pointing out the pros and cons of long hair being considered beneficial to our witness in the community.
I was at work tonight and my co-worker was speaking to the director of nursing about two women I know well that we used to work with in another faciltiy.

Both women wear skirts and have long, uncut hair. One is a UPC minister's wife and the other is a Branhamite follower.

My co-worker described them as people 'who believe the like Rama Bahama bunch'. Who are the 'Rama Bahama' people? They are the local cult group in this town who's women dress in skirts and have long, uncut hair.

Yeah, what a witness the UPC women have in this town. Is it any wonder that the church here hasn't grown in the several decades it's been here?
Closed Thread