Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Tithes........

Let me start off my saying that I am 100% for paying tithes... (don't really care what the Pastor does with them after I've done my part.) I believe that the tithes should be the first thing paid! You pay tithes before your bills. <-JMHO

OK.... I was always taught that you tithe on your INCREASE. So you tithe on the money you bring home. But what about when you sale your home? Do you tithe on that money?

If you are rolling all the money you are getting from the sale of your home into a new home, are you to tithe on that money before you use it as a down payment? I was raised that you would not tithe on it because you are putting that money into another home. If you were putting that money into your pocket.... then you should tithe on it.

So...... I'm asking you spiritual folks what you would do. I'd really like to know.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Christmas 2009

That's a tough one. I do believe that you are to tithe on any increase, so I guess that means on the sale of a house too. I hadn't really thought of it before.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Beaux's li'l buddy............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
That's a tough one. I do believe that you are to tithe on any increase, so I guess that means on the sale of a house too. I hadn't really thought of it before.
I tithe on increase.....to me this is increase.....guess it is how you want your blessing......but you already knew this didnt ya??

Old 03-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Give as giving unto the Lord,give what thou has purposed to give,give as thou has been prospered to give it's between you and God.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

I will pm my address. Keep those cards and letters coming.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

I'll pm yall my address it's for a worthy cause I'm worthy and my wife is the cause.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 PM

If you owned a Ford Dealership, and you had a brand new F-250 crew cab Diesel for sale for $65,000- would you tithe $6,500? Of course not, you would base your Tithe on the $2000 profit you made.

Now if you have a $350,000 house mortgaged to the hilt to have paid for the above truck, you would then see a net after sale of not $350,000. I have seen Sales Final Account and it is amazing how much Title eats of the proceeds with those $20 and $25 fees!

If the proceed is a 1033 Exchange, you have a net profit of Zero. Make that check for Zero Dollars and 00/100 cents.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen View Post
Let me start off my saying that I am 100% for paying tithes... (don't really care what the Pastor does with them after I've done my part.) I believe that the tithes should be the first thing paid! You pay tithes before your bills. <-JMHO

OK.... I was always taught that you tithe on your INCREASE. So you tithe on the money you bring home. But what about when you sale your home? Do you tithe on that money?

If you are rolling all the money you are getting from the sale of your home into a new home, are you to tithe on that money before you use it as a down payment? I was raised that you would not tithe on it because you are putting that money into another home. If you were putting that money into your pocket.... then you should tithe on it.

So...... I'm asking you spiritual folks what you would do. I'd really like to know.

(Not sure if I'm considered spiritual folk) Well, this is thought provoking. We've sold two homes so far and have had an increase both times...however, it was all put toward the purchase of another home. I'm sure curious what others have done...although I've never heard of anyone tithing on the capital gains of the sale of their home. Also, we do give tithes on my husbands gross income, not the net.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:02 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen View Post

When you refinance your home and find out it is worth more should we pay a tithe on the increase? No you pay the Tithe when the increase is paid out.

Otherwise go through your home.

I have memorabilia that grows in worth everyday.

Do I pay the increase on the items as they increase? No.

What if over time your new home drops in value, which happens all over this country.

I would say no do not pay a tithe on the money you move to a new home.

Do we pay tithe on our 401K statement at the end of each year? No.

Why because it is not being liquidated.

It could drop in value like Enron did a few years ago.

Do you pay tithe on an annuity that you know grows each year after the initial deposit? No because you have not liguidated it.

Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and unto God what is God's.

In this case of your home sale and buying of a new home.

The IRS does not require you to pay Captial gains at the time of this transfer.

Nathan Eckstadt
Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post
(Not sure if I'm considered spiritual folk) Well, this is thought provoking. We've sold two homes so far and have had an increase both times...however, it was all put toward the purchase of another home. I'm sure curious what others have done...although I've never heard of anyone tithing on the capital gains of the sale of their home. Also, we do give tithes on my husbands gross income, not the net.
Did the increase go into your Bank of Carey Checking Account?

Or did you roll the net $175,000 to change your $350,000 mortgage to then be $175,000?