Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
depression, holy ghost, salvation, suicide

Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Mental Illness Revisited...

I am really having a difficult time rationalizing how a person who is filled with the Holy Ghost AND living a life of holiness can be diagnosed with Major Depression, have suicidal thoughts, sadness that seems to re-occur repeatedly... how can I be witnessing this in a person who I KNOW is saved?

Really-- how is it possible?
Is this person maybe not even saved?

How do you reach someone seemingly trapped in this cycle?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

Re: Mental Illness Revisited...

The body is a biological machine. Sin has effected this machine and as a result it is fallen and doesn't work properly. It is still subject to sinful desires, aging, disease, atrophy, and death. Although one receives the Holy Ghost into their "spirit", it doesn't "change" the body. The body can still have various genetic and hormonal issues. Some of these affect the chemical levels in the brain causing depression, suicidal thoughts, sadness, etc.

We tend to think that it is purely emotional and immaterial. But fluctuating or insufficient chemical levels in the brain can bring on these symptoms. It's an infirmity of the flesh.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
The body is a biological machine. Sin has effected this machine and as a result it is fallen and doesn't work properly. It is still subject to sinful desires, aging, disease, atrophy, and death. Although one receives the Holy Ghost into their "spirit", it doesn't "change" the body. The body can still have various genetic and hormonal issues. Some of these affect the chemical levels in the brain causing depression, suicidal thoughts, sadness, etc.

We tend to think that it is purely emotional and immaterial. But fluctuating or insufficient chemical levels in the brain can bring on these symptoms. It's an infirmity of the flesh.
Right on.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I am really having a difficult time rationalizing how a person who is filled with the Holy Ghost AND living a life of holiness can be diagnosed with Major Depression, have suicidal thoughts, sadness that seems to re-occur repeatedly... how can I be witnessing this in a person who I KNOW is saved?

Really-- how is it possible?
Is this person maybe not even saved?

How do you reach someone seemingly trapped in this cycle?
JD how is it that you still sin and yet you are filled with the Holy Ghost??

We live in a broken world and we are broken people and our only hope is in Christ. People break, people sin and people die.

We will never be complete this side of Heaven.

Funny Baptist and Pentecostals suffer from the same things.

Healing comes quickly and other times not. They need help and I mean Christian professional help not doing the the funky chicken at the altar while speaking in tongues.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.

Last edited by navygoat1998; 09-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

The same way people with the Holy Ghost get a broken leg or cancer or diabetes.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
The same way people with the Holy Ghost get a broken leg or cancer or diabetes.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were all so "super spiritual" that none of the things in this world would effect us. Somewhere it said it rains on the just and unjust a like!

BT

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

i dont understand why most of humanity sees sickness that affects the brain differently than they do sickness that affects the rest of the body.

depression is most often sickeness that affects the brain. if you had cancer you would agressively treat it.

if it is the brain, people run and hide and dont want anyone to know.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

As far as them being trapped in that cycle, you wouldn't tell someone with cancer or diabetes to just get over it or just pray harder......but that often happens with depression and makes matters worse.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
i dont understand why most of humanity sees sickness that affects the brain differently than they do sickness that affects the rest of the body.

depression is most often sickeness that affects the brain. if you had cancer you would agressively treat it.

if it is the brain, people run and hide and dont want anyone to know.
So true. It has a stigma. Many are told to "just get over it" or to "just cheer up". Some are told "be positive". Or, "your problem is your attitude".

Clinical depression is more than a passing emotion or feeling blue. It's a disease that affects the brain. It often requires medication or change of diet to be remedied.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
As far as them being trapped in that cycle, you wouldn't tell someone with cancer or diabetes to just get over it or just pray harder......but that often happens with depression and makes matters worse.
Amen.