Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
depression, holy ghost, salvation, suicide

Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Re: Mental Illness Revisited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Can't happen. 2 Timothy 1:7.
I don't believe that Scripture means what many claim it means. I believe that it's talking about serving God out of fear.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I don't believe that Scripture means what many claim it means. I believe that it's talking about serving God out of fear.
2 Timothy 1:7 sound mind means sound mind.

Now please forgive me in advanced, but I think the problem is that most of you people believe that personal experience validates the Bible. Therefore if you are bipolar and believe you have the Holy Ghost and still continue being bipolar, then the Bible needs to be modified for your personal experience? Because evidently the scripture has to be interpreted a different way because obviously Joe Foofoofnick has to have the Holy Ghost? How about Joe doesn't have the Holy Ghost, how about if his lack of soundness of mind is do to Joe not even being saved? Just saying.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Yup, its pretty cut and dry..
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Well the Bible also says the prayer of faith shall save the sick. If you are sick and you are not healed it's your own fault (says so right there!). But cancer is okay but depression is not???

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Someone wrote me personally and asked about how to find my posts in A Wrecked Church. You will have to sift through that thread by Still Standing in order to find my posts within it if you are interested.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Well the Bible also says the prayer of faith shall save the sick. If you are sick and you are not healed it's your own fault (says so right there!). But cancer is okay but depression is not???
Yes, it says the prayer of faith shall heal the sick. So, if you aren't healed then the scripture is wrong?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
2 Timothy 1:7 sound mind means sound mind.

Now please forgive me in advanced, but I think the problem is that most of you people believe that personal experience validates the Bible. Therefore if you are bipolar and believe you have the Holy Ghost and still continue being bipolar, then the Bible needs to be modified for your personal experience? Because evidently the scripture has to be interpreted a different way because obviously Joe Foofoofnick has to have the Holy Ghost? How about Joe doesn't have the Holy Ghost, how about if his lack of soundness of mind is do to Joe not even being saved? Just saying.

Bro... there are studies that show chemical levels and activity in the brain. Those with clinical depression and PTSD actually show "physiological changes" in the brain. It can be measured, charted, and studied. It's not just "in one's head". Honestly, I'm shocked that you'd imply that. It's a proven fact that various therapies, medications, or changes in diet are necessary to heal and stabilize the brain.

I'd submit to you that Paul was writing to Timothy about keeping the faith... and most likely Timothy didn't face a serious mental illness.

I doubt Paul would flippantly dismiss the trauma of a soldier reliving combat or an abused child reliving the abuse if he were writing to them.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

This is such an interesting and meaningful subject to me.

I believe that some of us have been gifted by God with great sensitivities that other people simply don't have. Some people can be very damaged by things that other people just shrug off. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard someone say, "Just get over it...."

I know people who get very emotionally upset at just the mention of any of the following words:

-Religion

- organized religion

- church

-Jesus Christ

-hell

-Pentecostal

Those people in the church world who just say "Get over it" may never become sensitive to why others have strong reactions and honestly, I think waiting for them to become sensitized isn't the way to go. That's like relying on other people to save or deliver us.

I could really see how being in a loud church environment could not be a good fit for some of us, so I want to ask this question:

Has anyone been in Oneness of God in Jesus Christ fellowship services where people receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues as the initial evidence and there wasn't a kind of mass hysteria, emotional contagion sort of atmosphere (people yelling, screaming, hollering, running the aisles)?

I was filled in an InterVarsity prayer meeting in my HS at age 17 and come to think of it now, that meeting wasn't your typical "Pentecostal" service.

What happened was that we would have prayer and bible study every Wed after school. On one Wed, as we were getting ready to pray out, two of the club members came in late. One said that he had gone to the other's church the Sun before and had received the Holy Ghost baptism and that it felt like electricity running all through his body. I didn't think that much of it. As we were praying out, the prayer became fervent. I opened my eyes to see my classmate on his knees praying intently. I asked the club member whose church the electricity guy had gone to

"What's happening to him?"

and he said, "He's getting the Holy Ghost."

So in my mind, I said, "God, give me the Holy Ghost, too."

The next thing you know, I was speaking in a new language.

One other club member began to speak in a new language, as well as my classmate who was on his knees.

None of us fell out, screamed, rolled on the floor, barked like dogs or demonstrated any other dramatic manifestations.

Now when I went to the club member's church (an "apostolic" church, I'd prefer not to say which organization), the normal atmosphere in which people received the Holy Ghost was very, very loud. We would dance on a Sunday night to the point that the floor would shake and the dust would rise from the rugs. Shouting and dancing were very much the norm. The more you "shouted", the more you were cheered on and affirmed as "belonging".

Don't get me wrong, I think free emotional expression has its place in church. I still dance in church when I have the mind to. But I think the danger is when those of us who are more highly sensitive get caught up in the emotional atmosphere of the church world, we can go into the soulish realm and get out from under God's divine protection.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Yes, it says the prayer of faith shall heal the sick. So, if you aren't healed then the scripture is wrong?
Sometimes healing is internal. Sometimes the inner healing brings peace between the dying and God.

We must keep in mind that physical healing is dependent upon God's will. If God desires to take one home, and it is there appointed time, we do well to accept God's will for the circumstance.

Even Paul prayed that an infirmity be taken from him. And it wasn't. Instead it taught Paul that God's strength is made perfect in human weakness.

Timothy had issues with his stomach (ulcers?). Paul advised "a little wine". Timothy wasn't in absolutely perfect health either.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

I roll with house churches. I've seen people receive the Spirit in living rooms wherein people are standing and praying soundly. No music or hysteria.

Please note... I'm not against anything in Pentecostal worship accept carnal excesses for attention.