Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Re: You Can Fake It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
The part that is interpretative is "and bring not this doctrine". We can say that if someone or family member comes over for fellowship that would be ok, but if they "bring" their religion or doctrine with them (in an attempt to undermine yours) then they should leave your home.
So, what if you went to the house of someone that read this in the Bible and you tried to convert them with your doctrine? Let's say an Amish man. Should he make you leave because your doctrine is different than what they believe? If he did so, would he ever have a chance to hear anything other than what he already feels he knows? Could someone ever shut himself off from hearing more of what God wanted him to know by practicing this scripture in the way you suggest?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
But I am asking you what you think. What do you think it means for you as a Christian today?
I believe I should keep myself modest and holy in the eyes of God. I don't have a set of rules I go by. I trust the Holy Ghost to convict me and my common sense.

You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Renewed

Quote:
When do you think that telling them they are going to hell may cross the line from free speech into verbal and/or emotional abuse?
When you chase after them with it. Hopefully the person has enough sense to stay away from them if they don't want to hear it.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Renewed

Quote:
So, what if you went to the house of someone that read this in the Bible and you tried to convert them with your doctrine? Let's say an Amish man. Should he make you leave because your doctrine is different than what they believe? If he did so, would he ever have a chance to hear anything other than what he already feels he knows? Could someone ever shut himself off from hearing more of what God wanted him to know by practicing this scripture in the way you suggest?
Well now your talking about evangelism practices. I have never nor will ever go to someone, at home or otherwise, to attempt to convert them. People will ask questions when they see the difference in me and I answer the questions. If your there to convert someone you should be asked to leave. I will talk with a Jehovah's witness until I see that he/she is immovable in their belief then I will let them know that there is nothing to gain by further conversation.

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe I should keep myself modest and holy in the eyes of God. I don't have a set of rules I go by. I trust the Holy Ghost to convict me and my common sense.

If other people have different convictions of what is modest and holy, can you trust that they too are led by God and their own common sense? Or do they need to go by your personal modesty rules and/or those of your church in order to be considered saved and/or a true Christian?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
When you chase after them with it. Hopefully the person has enough sense to stay away from them if they don't want to hear it.
So a person has to stay away from their own family for their own personal emotional safety so they don't feel emotionally or verbally abused. That would be a pretty sad commentary to whatever organization might have a part in encouraging any part of that.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well now your talking about evangelism practices. I have never nor will ever go to someone, at home or otherwise, to attempt to convert them. People will ask questions when they see the difference in me and I answer the questions. If your there to convert someone you should be asked to leave. I will talk with a Jehovah's witness until I see that he/she is immovable in their belief then I will let them know that there is nothing to gain by further conversation.
So you don't think anyone should ever go to someone's house to try and convert them? You don't believe in proselytizing?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceniez View Post
I think the point is that the UPC is supposed to be the true church . Or claims to be anyway.
First of all the UPC does not make any such claim. It's just an organization.

Second, whether true or not, it still gets OLD

In fact I've heard your assertion many times before. OLD OLD OLD and this is supposed to be Apostolic FRIENDS forum, not "Friends United against the UPCers"

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Renewed

Quote:
If other people have different convictions of what is modest and holy, can you trust that they too are led by God and their own common sense? Or do they need to go by your personal modesty rules and/or those of your church in order to be considered saved and/or a true Christian?
let each work out his own salvation.

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy Girl View Post
Isn't that God talking to the Israelites in the OT? When they were under the law, which included hundreds of rules as to how they were supposed to be separate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
Your telling me. But some people twist that to mean other things.
2Co 6:16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,
2Co 6:18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.