Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Banned

Re: Current UPC article of faith and TV/theaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
It does not specifically mention women wearing pants.

I never understood why it was left out.
I suspect that they would have believed that pants fall under, "any apparel that immodestly exposes the body".

It is important to affirm that modesty is a Christian discipline, regardless of one's position on women wearing pants. So, whatever one wears... let's keep it modest ladies. Your modesty and godly submission brings the praise of Heaven.
1 Corinthians 11:10 English Standard Version (ESV)
10 That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.
1 Timothy 2:8-10 English Standard Version (ESV)
8 I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; 9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I have never own a television since I have been in the Apostolic faith. Still don't have one. I have debated the issue between television and internet. With brothers who are ant-internet, and pro-television. When I would do that, there was no such thing as smart phones. The internet wasn't even to the place it is now. I preach that the Internet makes television look like a joke. Television is a skateboard and the Internet is a V12 rocket. I still cannot see the value in television, but what ever technology you have and currently use? You better be praying more than a tabernacle plan, or some prayer wheel. You better be having some sober prayer, real firebreating stripped down to the bone prayer in your life. Sanctification is within and without. Internet can take you straight to a lake of fire by the nap of your neck. While it beats your head against the walls red with flames. I don't preach that people need to get rid of smart phones, lap tops, tablets, or IPads. Who you are in the dark is the real YOU. You can run but you sure can't hide, and your sin will always find you out. You may escape man's judgement, but you cannot escape the final judgement. While we are all alone in places where no one can see us, while we believe it is all hidden away from family, spouses, saints, ministry. We cannot hide it from Jesus, or from ourselves. oh, the conscience can be seared clean away, where surfing the darkside of the internet ruins a life. While everyone sees the perfect picture of Hazelwood Missouri on the outside. The Lord Jesus sees nothing more than a sparkling tomb filled to capacity with dead men's putrefying corpses.
PREACH!
Old 02-19-2018, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Internet is going the way of cable TV. It was the Great Escape from all the stupid advertising. Until it was taken over by the Stupid Advertising cult.

Internet? Same-same. Google has become next to useless for finding anything other than some clickbait consumerist advertising junk. Etc etc etc.

I'm almost ready to pull the plug on the intardnet. Other than email, I've lost interest. An I've got over 50,000 unread emails. lol
Excellent point. My use of the internet has become more narrow and specific. There's a lot of garbage out there.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
I agree. I guess I see no potential for good in television. We preach against all types of Hollywood entertainment. Also preach against unrestricted use of internet. I agree that internet has way more potential for destruction and the devastating results of its abuse are tenfold to that of television. Probably more than that. The potential for positive use is greater as well, however.
It would appear that with great power comes even greater responsibility.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

TV bores me to tears. My husband watches news & sports. I like to watch educational material, particularly history. My greatest interest and pursuit is studying the bible. My desire is to live a life that is pleasing to God and that myself, family and friends be saved.
I admit that I have a television in my home. But I rarely watch the television programing included our package. You're right, it's boring. If we want to watch a movie or a television show, we stream it over FireStick. This way, we have total control over what we're watching. The kids are into YouTube videos more than movies or television shows. But I want to mention that any YouTube content being viewed by kids absolutely needs to be monitored as much as anything else.

Family prayer, family devotions, family altar, etc. are Christian practices that should be revived. If your Christianity is only practiced in a church, it isn't leavening your whole life. Christian practice needs to be predicated upon a family's identity in Christ Jesus. A family's Christianity must be practiced in the home. Perhaps even more so than in a church building during regular services. The sense of Christian identity in the home should overshadow what is viewed and done in the home.

We've chosen the to observe sacred tradition of the Sabbath as our weekly day for family time, family prayer, family altar, and family devotions. Sometimes, I'll call an altar during the week if I feel led to or see the need to. Sometimes I'll take advantage of meal times after grace to see if I can get a family wellness check, so to speak. But, with these disciplines, I've tried to maintain a sense of responsibility when it comes to the use of television, the internet, video games, etc.

Bring back and preserve family altar.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-19-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Why is this of interest?
Wondering why our church reamins in upc when they have TV, go to theaters and sports, isn't that dishonest?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.

Last edited by Truthseeker; 02-19-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
I know in the past these things violated the AOF, but what about to day? It's been said with all the new technology, such as cell phones and internet, that it's been amended so now watching TV isn't a violation? What about going to theaters, is that still a violation?
AOF isn't scriptural.

Actually, the UPC isn't scriptural either. No organization is.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Wondering why our church reamins in upc when they have TV, go to theaters and sports, isn't that dishonest?
The church you now attend does these things? Hmmmmm...

Wondering why you still attend there, and why you are bringing this up here?

Have you approached your pastor with your wondering? Does he know you think he is dishonest?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 02-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
What you should be questioning is how your church prays. Is it scriptural?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
AOF isn't scriptural.

Actually, the UPC isn't scriptural either. No organization is.

Right, but lying is , is it not?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.