Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Re: Visiting a UPC Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Harris View Post
Morning,
I live in Arkansas. I don’t actually attend a UPC church at this time.
I just resigned from pastoring a small group and now I’m wanting to return to a more Pentecostal Church. I’m pretty old timey Pentecostal, the group I had pastored was not a Pentecostal group.
I’ve been invited to visit a UPC church plant by a friend. They have a great youth program, and very active men’s fellowship and the church as a whole seems to like taking trips and dinners together.
I’m truly interested since I believe it would be great for my family, however, I know doctrinally it’s significantly different then what I have been used to.
However, I have changed some of my views significantly over the last 40 + years, so anything is possible.
Patrick,
God bless you for being willing to walk a day at a time. I appreciate your small - group experience. You are blessed in that they were baptists and not ex-upcers.
More power to you if you have found a church home, but buyer beware! Remember that every UPC pastor has to sign an affirmation statement regarding holiness standards for his church, which boxes their theology in somewhat. My experience has been that those that harp on the standards (outer appearance) lack the humility and grace required in the ministry of a pastor, not to mention that this exhibits an need to control.
Is the pastor a ruler, or is he a guide? Does he let you privately (especially if you are his age or older) call him by his first name? Sometimes that's a real indicator of whether the pastor feels his position is SUPERIOR to your own.

One thing you need to keep in mind through all this is there are some good churches as well as not so good churches.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefortruth View Post
I was in UPC church for about 5 years. I read every book in the bible atleast three times and some of them 10 times my first year and the people in my church could tell because I was (still am) always speaking about the scriptures and praying non-stop. I also converted many people from the "other churches" to our congregation which they considered to be "spiritual fruit." I read all the material required for licensed ministry and became involved in publicly and privately debating for UPC doctrine with much fervency. Because of this they began giving me leadership responsibilities that included Sunday School teaching, preaching, meeting with people, leading songs, etc. I'm so glad the Lord brought me out of that movement early and that I didn't spend too much time believing the things that I was taught.

You can have your opinions based on your minimal amount of internet interaction with me but I assure you that you should actually get to know someone before making a personal judgement. Plus I think you might be biased. I doubt that you would receive advice or teaching from anybody who didn't believe you had to speak in tongues to be saved. Not to mention that if they don't believe Jesus is his own Father you couldn't really open up and let them teach you the Bible either. I'm just guessing though and don't want to assume (as you have) because we don't personally know each other
About five year old in anything does not an expert make! And to put that kind of responsiblity on a "five year old convert " doesn't make a lot of sense.
I do not say it boastfully, but after many years of experience and with what wisdom the LORD has given me: My advice would be to get on your knees and "humble yourself under the Mighty Hand of GOD. Allow HIM to do the promoting. Promotion does not come from any direction, but comes from the LORD". I pray you will do just as I have advised you, for in doing so, GOD is able to make a great man of GOD of you. If you will get over yourself and surrender wholly to GOD, in the process of time, you will understand what I
am speaking about today. And you will know that it was GOD that "made" you and not you yourself.

May GOD help you as you begin again, in Jesus Name!

Falla39
Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Genesis 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Bro. Harris,
You take water, freeze it, you got ice, boil it, you have steam. Still same water.

One God, (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) Three manifestations - still same GOD!

May God open your understanding, in Jesus Name. Let (allow, permit) HIM to
fill your mind with understanding.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. Also the beginning of knowlege and understanding.

Falla39
A friend of mine learned of the water example of God in Catholic school.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
About five year old in anything does not an expert make! And to put that kind of responsiblity on a "five year old convert " doesn't make a lot of sense.
I do not say it boastfully, but after many years of experience and with what wisdom the LORD has given me: My advice would be to get on your knees and "humble yourself under the Mighty Hand of GOD. Allow HIM to do the promoting. Promotion does not come from any direction, but comes from the LORD". I pray you will do just as I have advised you, for in doing so, GOD is able to make a great man of GOD of you. If you will get over yourself and surrender wholly to GOD, in the process of time, you will understand what I
am speaking about today. And you will know that it was GOD that "made" you and not you yourself.

May GOD help you as you begin again, in Jesus Name!

Falla39
Your barking up the wrong tree. I have repented of the false doctrine the UPC preaches. In fact I have spent much time in sorrow and regret that I ever taught anyone that false doctrine and led them away from Christ. I'm sorry for you. I'm glad I was brought out of it so quickly.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

As an update:
About 2 months ago we started again attending the UPC church plant I mentioned.

We went because of the way they choose to do things together as a church. The fellowship there is truly a breath of fresh air.

In addition, I was longing for a chance to be part of a Pentecostal fellowship again and we have definitely found a home there.

I had some rather frank discussions with the pastor and he said that while he was Apostolic in faith, he knew that some believed otherwise.

He said I will never question your faith and salvation because of what you believe. He went on to say that the things that we agree on were far greater than the things we had that differed, and that he would be more than happy to have us as part of the church.

My wife and I really love it there and look forward to every service.

The AG church here is little more than a hyper Baptist church. We just wanted a place where people were prayed for, healed, and the gifts were more openly practiced. I know that my spiritual life has definitely increased since attending there.

Last edited by Patrick Harris; 10-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
As an update:

We went because of the way they choose to do things together as a church. The fellowship there is truly a breath of fresh air.

In addition, I was longing for a chance to be part of a Pentecostal fellowship again and we have definitely found a home there.

I had some rather frank discussions with the pastor and he said that while he was Apostolic in faith, he knew that some believed otherwise.

He said I will never question your faith and salvation because of what you believe. He went on to say that the things that we agree on were far greater than the things we had that differed, and that he would be more than happy to have us as part of the church.

The AG church here is little more than a hyper Baptist church. We just wanted a place where people were prayed for, healed, and the gifts were more openly practiced. I know that my spiritual life has definitely increased since attending there.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
As an update:

Patrick, I am blessed because our AG church is as Pentecostal as any UPC church I have ever been. The Church of God is where I got the Holy Ghost and my church reminds me of the old Church of God services.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
As an update:

Sounds like a fair man.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Patrick, I am blessed because our AG church is as Pentecostal as any UPC church I have ever been. The Church of God is where I got the Holy Ghost and my church reminds me of the old Church of God services.
Wow. The Church of God is where I received the Holy Ghost as well, and this church reminds me so much of the old Church of God, which is exactly what I told some COG folks.

I'm glad the AG church where you attend is that way, it's not the way in every church anymore.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Wow. The Church of God is where I received the Holy Ghost as well, and this church reminds me so much of the old Church of God, which is exactly what I told some COG folks.

I'm glad the AG church where you attend is that way, it's not the way in every church anymore.
I won't be part if it is not Pentecostal, blessing on you and your family. I firmly believe that God has a home for each of us we all need a home that we can be part off.

When we left UPC and went to AG, we told them our background and they did not question our Godhead view, Baptism, Holy Ghost or Salvation.

I got the Holy Ghost in 1979 in the Church of God in Labelle, Florida I was still High School.

Last edited by navygoat1998; 10-18-2013 at 02:08 PM.