Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Church of Christ Legalsim

UPC folks have not cornered the market on legalism! In the Nashville Tennessean newspaper online today I just read an article about an area Church of Christ member who is being forced out of her job teaching kindergarten.

This woman has taught kindergarten for 27 years at a private Church of Christ Christian school in Columbia, TN.

Her crime is that she attends a Church of Christ church that had the nerve to recently use musical instruments in a special service and plans on using musical instruments in the future in two or three special services per year.

This woman was told she either had to quit her job or change churches. She has chosen to retire.

Two other teachers at that school that attend the same church reached a compromise agreement where they will be able to keep their jobs if they agree not to attend their home church the two or three services a year that musical instruments will be played!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Matthew 7:6

Re: Church of Christ Legalsim

do you have a link to the story?

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Christmas 2009

Last year when we got ready to take a team to Costa Rica for a missions trip, I told the leader (who had recently left a life long COC membership) that we wouldn't be doing anything as a group that involved swimsuits. We just try to stay away from that as a church. What individuals do on their own time is up to them. When I told him, he laughed and said that I sounded like the Church of Christ. It was funny, because I always think of legalism in Pentecostal churches!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
do you have a link to the story?
Here ya go;

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../NEWS/80609018
Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Last year when we got ready to take a team to Costa Rica for a missions trip, I told the leader (who had recently left a life long COC membership) that we wouldn't be doing anything as a group that involved swimsuits. We just try to stay away from that as a church. What individuals do on their own time is up to them. When I told him, he laughed and said that I sounded like the Church of Christ. It was funny, because I always think of legalism in Pentecostal churches!
Broadbrush alert! There are many, many Christians that have high standards of modesty but are not at all legalistic.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

My time in the COC showed almost no spirituality among the members. They do stand for Acts 2:38 but as far as a close walk with YHWH I never met anyone like that.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
My time in the COC showed almost no spirituality among the members. They do stand for Acts 2:38 but as far as a close walk with YHWH I never met anyone like that.
Please elaborate on what you mean by "they do stand for Acts 2:38".
Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Please elaborate on what you mean by "they do stand for Acts 2:38".
That is their favorite candy stick scripture CC1.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
UPC folks have not cornered the market on legalism! In the Nashville Tennessean newspaper online today I just read an article about an area Church of Christ member who is being forced out of her job teaching kindergarten.

This woman has taught kindergarten for 27 years at a private Church of Christ Christian school in Columbia, TN.

Her crime is that she attends a Church of Christ church that had the nerve to recently use musical instruments in a special service and plans on using musical instruments in the future in two or three special services per year.

This woman was told she either had to quit her job or change churches. She has chosen to retire.

Two other teachers at that school that attend the same church reached a compromise agreement where they will be able to keep their jobs if they agree not to attend their home church the two or three services a year that musical instruments will be played!
I can tell you that spirit-filled former COC make for wonderful liberated believers, O the passion. The church we attend was a COC 25 years ago, the Spirit of the Lord invaded this group, and with a grand piano in center stage backed up with drums and guitars, some of the most angelic singing I have ever heard. Those years of training in how to make music with the human voice accompanied by instruments just rocks the house, I love these folks.

They, of course, were excommunicated by the COC community many years ago.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Jesus is the Christ

What others have mentioned here about bathing suits does not surprise me. I was raised southern baptist and when I was a kid every year we would go to a week long camp. They handling the situation by having the guys and girls swim at seperate times.
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92