Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 PM

H.Armstrong's WCG: Believes elements of Holy Hair?

I have begun to research some of the histrionics of the holy hair doctrine.

Specifically, what other Christian groups or movements also attribute long hair to angelic protection.

There seem to be elements within Herbert Armstrong's (deceased) movement, father of the World Wide Church of God and it's offshoots, that seem to believe that long hair was directly linked to increased/decreased angelic protection.

Albeit, they do not believe in the uncut doctrine but believe a women's hair should be long. This is described as being, in some publications, as at least shoulder length.

I'm sure many of you have seen and/or read his The Plain Truth magazine.

The following is an excerpt from the September 1958 issue of his magazine.

Source: Q: SHOULD A WOMAN WEAR A COVERING ON HER HEAD IN CHURCH? (Link: PT Sep-58)

-----------------------------------------------------

One group that broke off from the mother church WCG, the Restored Church of God, unequivocally states that if her hair is too short she loses protection.

This is stated on their website archives:

Quote:
There is another reason a woman’s hair should be long: “For a man indeed ought not to cover his head [have long hair], forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause ought the woman to have power [long hair showing she is under authority] on her head because of the angels” (I Cor. 11:7-10).

When a woman has long hair, it shows that she is under authority and in submission to her husband. The phrase “because of the angels” shows that when a woman “uncovers” her head, she loses angelic protection. That is serious!
Source: Did Jesus Have Long Hair?: Proper Hair Lengths and Styles in God’s Church

http://www.thercg.org/articles/djhlh.html

------------------------------------------

This is some preliminary research but I thought I'd share it.

Carry on.