Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Re: Can a plant be a "spirit"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Two "christian" guys sitting at home, doing lines of cocaine...
Thats scary. its all sin to me just trying to see were all this is going.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
so let me ask this. hypothetical here, two christian brothers sat alone in a house and got high as a kite smoking refer. didnt go anywhere just hanging out at home. Is that ok for a Christian to do in your opinion? prefer yes or no
No.

First, I think that the abuse of cannabis does an injustice to the proper health related and medical use of cannabis. I'd advise against it.

Scripture doesn't condemn wine and strong drink, and even encourages it in some circumstances. However, the Bible does teach that drunkenness is a sin. To become "high as a kite" is clearly the same as becoming drunken with the substance. It doesn't matter if it is cannabis, wine, or cough syrup. We should always guard against drunkenness.

About the only "positive" thing mentioned in your post is that they stayed home.

Now, not all Christians agree with me. In Colorado there are "stoner" Christian fellowships (even Bible studies! lol). The stoners gather, smoke a little, and fellowship. But they aren't trying to get "high as a kite". They are just sharing a similar interest, like going to wine country and tasting a couple flights of wine together, relaxing and talking about Jesus.

Here's a video of an actual "stoner Bible study" (I think it is in Colorado). It's not my cup of tea. But, hey.... Christ is preached. lol

Last edited by Aquila; 05-15-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Two "christian" guys sitting at home, doing lines of cocaine...
Cannabis is nothing like cocaine. In fact, you can overdose and die on cocaine. Cannabis? Nope. You might get too "dizzy" and throw up. That's it. Technically, you can't overdose and die from cannabis.

Last edited by Aquila; 05-15-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
In Colorado there are "stoner" Christian fellowships (even Bible studies! lol). The stoners gather, smoke a little, and fellowship. But they aren't trying to get "high as a kite". They are just sharing a similar interest, like going to wine country and tasting a couple flights of wine together.
There are nudist "churches" as well. I don't know if they eat breakfast cereal together though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
In Colorado there are "stoner" Christian fellowships Here's a video of an actual "stoner Bible study" (I think it is in Colorado). It's not my cup of tea. But, hey.... Christ is preached. lol

This woman claims the first time she "felt God" was when she got high and went on a bike ride. She says she doesn't have "spiritual experiences" in church because she feels judged in church.

Good grief.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

you had me wandering.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
There are nudist "churches" as well. I don't know if they eat breakfast cereal together though.
That's another kind of church I'd never visit. For their sakes, not mine. lol

Quote:
This woman claims the first time she "felt God" was when she got high and went on a bike ride. She says she doesn't have "spiritual experiences" in church because she feels judged in church.

Good grief.
Yeah, I caught that too. I kinda feel sorry for her. I think most people want to feel something supernatural in their lives. It's a shame so few truly experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This longing leads many into deception.

The one issue I have with what these folks are doing is that they are incorporating cannabis into their worship. Personally, I wouldn't feel right doing that. I believe that one should be sober in mind during worship gatherings. I've taken Delsym cough medicine and I felt so loopy I wasn't comfortable in church. If one is taking cannabis for its health or medical benefits, it should be taken for those holistic reasons. And if it contains THC for those benefits, it should be taken at home or in an environment wherein one is not on the road or operating machinery, etc. I think taking it merely to "get stoned" or incorporated into worship to create a drug induced religious experience actually disrespects the herb and its proper use.

To me, using cannabis (or any other substance) to produce a religious experience is essentially witchcraft.

If one wishes to use the herb as a supplement or medication, that's reasonable. Even if they wish to use it to "chill" and it's legal in one's state, that's like having some wine (be responsible). But to use it to "feel God"... I'm not buying that. One might feel awe and wonder with regards to any pleasurable sensation the cannabis might bring, and thank God for it. But the sensations are not God. They are the plant. Just as one might praise God for the blessing of a fine wine. Any pleasure experienced as part of partaking in the wine, is the wine. Not God.

Last edited by Aquila; 05-15-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

"To me, using cannabis to produce a religious experience is essentially witchcraft."

Wow talk about can of worms. what else do people use to produce a religious experience?
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
"To me, using cannabis to produce a religious experience is essentially witchcraft."

Wow talk about can of worms. what else do people use to produce a religious experience?
Soma, peyote, and I think shrooms. I think ancient cultures were so amazed at the effects of these things, they saw them as sacred and believed that their experiences were truly spiritual experiences. Some believe the ancient Hebrews used kannabosm (cannabis) in the holy incense that was placed in the midst of the tent of meeting. But if that is true, whatever value the substance brought was never noted as being the focus. The incense didn't bring God, the incense only served to set the atmosphere and calm one as one waited on the LORD. Most don't realize that Frankincense and Myrrh also contain psychotic properties that can induce various states. So, if they used kannabosm, it shouldn't surprise us.

I think some things in life are designed to be celebrated because the bring great pleasure. I believe these things are sacred in the sense of being a blessing and bringing us great happiness and sometimes joy. But they are not sacred in the sense of connecting one with God.

Last edited by Aquila; 05-15-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

The euphoria produced during sex and sacrificing of humans has been / is considered to be a religious experience by countless numbers of people.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Registered Member