Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Wild Side
Facebook

Notices

The Wild Side Firearms & Hunting; Feed your wild side here!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: Hunting Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
I hunt quite a bit. Deer, Turkey, Ducks, Dove, Rabbit, Squirrel, neighbors way over abundant # cats, and whatever else my boys can persuade me to hunt.

Old tuff deer and most wild ducks are only good as jerky, no matter how much u soak or attempt to tendorize them, IMO.
My son wants the next deer we get to be used solely for jerky. What is your favorite way of making deer jerky?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Thanks ILG for that tip.... we didn't hang the deer! Maybe that is indeed why she was so tough. We were in a hurry to put her up, because the pulley system we have and where the deer was hanging wasn't amenable to leaving because of dogs/coyotes in our area. It is an open shed, and we have no way of enclosing it, and the shed isn't tall enough to pull the deer high enough so that animals wouldn't get it. I'll talk to my husband about seeing if we can figure something else out.

However, I did find that if I put the deer roast in the crock pot overnight on low, for about 12-hours, it was so tender it just fell apart, and was incredibly yummy!

I added some cream of mushroom soup after cooking it on low for about 6 hours, and some carrots. The result was an amazing gravy-like stew that we poured over mashed potatoes, and let me tell you, the crock pot was just about licked clean, it was that good! No leftovers!
Mmmmmm! Glad you found a good use for it!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
My son wants the next deer we get to be used solely for jerky. What is your favorite way of making deer jerky?
There is a recipe that uses ground venison (rather than strips) that is easier to chew. I don't know where the recipe is but that one is good!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Here is one:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/so2dr5oh...son-jerky.html

Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks! I've printed the recipe off. I agree that ground venison would definitely be easier to chew. Can't wait to try it!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

My son is going hunting this year. I can't wait!! We need the meat!!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Sasha, that's great! It is a blessing to have venison in the freezer for the winter!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM

We grind our buck venison(unless young) into hamburger, and season it different ways, sometimes store bought jerky seasoning, and we've also done recipes w La Choy soy, garlic, onion powder, smoke flavor, etc. I just mix a bunch of stuff like that in and let it set a few hours and put it thru the jerky gun into the dehydrater.

Today, I took my 5 yr old out and we put down a 10 pt buck. Tomorrow I think I'll just take the deer to the processor to make snack sticks and summer sausage w most of him. Probly going to he a little pricy but I don't want to mess w it this time.

Been soaking some wild duck we shot the other day, changing out a couple times a day soaked in water, vinegar, and salt to try to get out the wild game taste. Going to try Duck Dynasty's Kay's recipe tomorrow. Nasty things aren't hardly fit to eat IMO other than jerky. (Sure fun to hunt tho!)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 11-16-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
We grind our buck venison(unless young) into hamburger, and season it different ways, sometimes store bought jerky seasoning, and we've also done recipes w La Choy soy, garlic, onion powder, smoke flavor, etc. I just mix a bunch of stuff like that in and let it set a few hours and put it thru the jerky gun into the dehydrater.

Today, I took my 5 yr old out and we put down a 10 pt buck. Tomorrow I think I'll just take the deer to the processor to make snack sticks and summer sausage w most of him. Probly going to he a little pricy but I don't want to mess w it this time.

Been soaking some wild duck we shot the other day, changing out a couple times a day soaked in water, vinegar, and salt to try to get out the wild game taste. Going to try Duck Dynasty's Kay's recipe tomorrow. Nasty things aren't hardly fit to eat IMO other than jerky. (Sure fun to hunt tho!)
Do you mix any of your venison meat with cow meat?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Do you mix any of your venison meat with cow meat?
We do for burger. 1/3 beef to 2/3 venison for better frying. We use really good burger though. None of that 73% stuff.