Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School
Facebook

Notices

Sunday School A ministry resource forum. Find special help topics-- sermon ideas/notes, reference material, resources, etc.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Administrator

What Does It Take?

What does it take to create and cultivate true and lasting intimacy with God?

I would love to read what my brothers and sisters in the Lord have to say about this most important topic.

Serious answers only.

Let's see if we can get a real, edifying discussion going, one that blesses all.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Re: What Does It Take?

I made a mistake, and meant to put this in the Deep Waters section. If it can be moved by a mod/admin?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:09 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
What does it take to create and cultivate true and lasting intimacy with God?

I would love to read what my brothers and sisters in the Lord have to say about this most important topic.

Serious answers only.

Let's see if we can get a real, edifying discussion going, one that blesses all.
This is a very good question, and although I don't claim to have the perfect or right answer that you may be looking for... in my life, cultivating a true and lasting intimacy with the Lord starts with putting everything in my life in order - God first, and foremost in all I do, think, say, and believe.

I start my day off every day with quiet time before the Lord, time reading the Word, a devotional or two, prayer, and if I have time, some worship time too. I have found this quiet time every morning before others are up and stirring to be the best way to focus my thoughts on Him before the day starts. I would say this time with the Lord is the sweetest and best part of my day.

So for me, cultivating a lasting and wonderful intimacy with the Lord involves taking the time to spend with Him each and every day. I don't see how you can have a relationship with the Lord (or with anyone else) if you are not spending meaningful, one-on-one time with each other.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
This is a very good question, and although I don't claim to have the perfect or right answer that you may be looking for... in my life, cultivating a true and lasting intimacy with the Lord starts with putting everything in my life in order - God first, and foremost in all I do, think, say, and believe.

I start my day off every day with quiet time before the Lord, time reading the Word, a devotional or two, prayer, and if I have time, some worship time too. I have found this quiet time every morning before others are up and stirring to be the best way to focus my thoughts on Him before the day starts. I would say this time with the Lord is the sweetest and best part of my day.

So for me, cultivating a lasting and wonderful intimacy with the Lord involves taking the time to spend with Him each and every day. I don't see how you can have a relationship with the Lord (or with anyone else) if you are not spending meaningful, one-on-one time with each other.
Yes a very good place for us all to start and maintain.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Administrator

I agree that one on one time is highly important. I just had a brother confess to me how easy it is for him to go to another person for help and counsel, rather than go vertical and seek help and counsel from on high.

But I know many people make the effort to do just this, and feel like they don't get anywhere with God.

And so, for me, scheduling the time is the first step, but some other things must be included.

1.) Forsaking all others. Like a marriage, God has to be the only recipient of our worship and adoration. God just doesn't seem interested in getting intimate with someone who is divided in their loyalties.

2.) Learning how to properly respond to the urging of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is compared to a dove, and I have seen It flit away at a moment's notice, especially in a church service, but also in a private setting, when the response God was looking for wasn't quickly given. It takes time to learn how to yield to God, but it really is a romance, in the purest sense. It's like learning to make love, spiritually speaking.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree that one on one time is highly important. I just had a brother confess to me how easy it is for him to go to another person for help and counsel, rather than go vertical and seek help and counsel from on high.

But I know many people make the effort to do just this, and feel like they don't get anywhere with God.

And so, for me, scheduling the time is the first step, but some other things must be included.

1.) Forsaking all others. Like a marriage, God has to be the only recipient of our worship and adoration. God just doesn't seem interested in getting intimate with someone who is divided in their loyalties.

2.) Learning how to properly respond to the urging of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is compared to a dove, and I have seen It flit away at a moment's notice, especially in a church service, but also in a private setting, when the response God was looking for wasn't quickly given. It takes time to learn how to yield to God, but it really is a romance, in the purest sense. It's like learning to make love, spiritually speaking.
Yes Amen!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:

I agree that a relationship with the Lord requires being ready to be obedient to the simplest things He may ask us to do. I think of the man Naman being aghast that the Lord would ask him to dip in the dirty Jordan river seven times. Yet, in the end, it was his obedience in doing this seemingly foolish act that brought about his healing. I believe the Lord works in just this way with us still today. He may ask us to do something foolish, out of the ordinary, or otherwise just to test our faith and love for him. How we respond will determine the level of intimacy and relationship that He wants to have with us.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Confess him openly! Then he will direct your paths.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. 39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. Matt 10:37-39

If we hold onto our OWN LIFE we will never get to experience HIS. We deny ourselves of things that are not sin that we may spend our time in prayer, the word, Church activities, fellowship, witnessing and so forth.

In those times where we are encouraged by well meaning family and friends to participate in things that dishonor Christ we say we cant make it.

We are building a life in the secret place of the most high. Its so TRAGIC when you know people who say this Christian life isn't working for them. Then when you try to explain the part of denying your self they respond "What am I doing that's so sinful"? Many times nothing in particular. They are just holding onto THEIR LIVES.

Until one turns their back on self and lives their life toward Christ they cant understand this. No they may not be doing sin. But they are doing SELF. That's why the new modern teachings are so dangerous. You hardly ever hear teaching on forsaking all.

Much of it today is being presented as how God heals your broken heart. He will fix relationships. He takes you out of poverty. He forgives your sins, usually called "mistakes" or "shortcomings",

It seems all about him becoming part of our lives rather than the disciple becoming part of his.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. 39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. Matt 10:37-39

If we hold onto our OWN LIFE we will never get to experience HIS. We deny ourselves of things that are not sin that we may spend our time in prayer, the word, Church activities, fellowship, witnessing and so forth.

In those times where we are encouraged by well meaning family and friends to participate in things that dishonor Christ we say we cant make it.

We are building a life in the secret place of the most high. Its so TRAGIC when you know people who say this Christian life isn't working for them. Then when you try to explain the part of denying your self they respond "What am I doing that's so sinful"? Many times nothing in particular. They are just holding onto THEIR LIVES.

Until one turns their back on self and lives their life toward Christ they cant understand this. No they may not be doing sin. But they are doing SELF. That's why the new modern teachings are so dangerous. You hardly ever hear teaching on forsaking all.

Much of it today is being presented as how God heals your broken heart. He will fix relationships. He takes you out of poverty. He forgives your sins, usually called "mistakes" or "shortcomings",

It seems all about him becoming part of our lives rather than the disciple becoming part of his.
Yes, Bro. MTD, self is probably the biggest, and worst enemy that we face. Far worse than the one who usually gets the blame, satan.

However, when you really get the picture that this walk with the Lord is all about HIM, and not about you.... that is when you can then begin to walk in true intimacy and fellowship with our precious Lord.