Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading Currently, 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I finished this about a week ago. Very good over all. Some weak points. Afterwords, I thought about reading People of the Lie, but since I'd just finished a pretty depressing book about psychological trauma and what it does to the brain, I figured I would read something less heavy.

So I picked up and read in about three days Born to Run. It was very good, albeit some language concerns decreased my overall enjoyment.

Since then I've started reading three different books. Alan Segal's Two Powers in Heaven, Being Mortal by Dr. Atul Gawande, and The Lost History of Christianity: The Thousand-Year Golden Age of the Church in the Middle East, African, and Asia--And How It Died by Philip Jenkins:

https://voice.dts.edu/review/philip-...-christianity/

Of the three, this is the most interesting so far.
I am about halfway through The Lost History of Christianity. It's only so-so, so far.

As for Being Mortal I HIGHLY RECOMMEND everyone read this book, and take a long hard look at their own mortality with some true seriousness, and conviction about the fact we're all going to die one day, and what kind of life are we expecting to live leading up to that point. And if your parents are alive, I recommend reading the book, sharing it with them, and have some serious discussions about how the last years of their life might play out and what you can do for them to make those years the very best possible.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 09-24-2018, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Reagan The Inside Story by Edwin Meese III
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Just finished re-reading "Then came the glory" by Nona Freeman.
I am re-reading all of my Nona Freeman books.
They are very encouraging!
Old 09-25-2018, 03:57 AM
Loving God, His Word, His Name

why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill

Apostolic Defender Ministries
The Apostolic Defender Podcast on Spotify
Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Paul, the Spirit and the people of God - Gordon Fee

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Banned

AFF
Old 11-17-2018, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Man, I forgot all about that! I had been reading it at work during lunch periods, but was on a leave of absence for awhile, brought it home with me, and got caught up in everything else I've been reading, I forgot I was also making my way through. If memory serves, I am in 2 Corinthians still. Thanks for the reminder. Will have to get back on it!
I gave my RV away to someone who left for a missions trip to Central America. Have not purchased a new one yet.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I started reading 12 Rules For Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Dr. Jordan Peterson.

https://jordanbpeterson.com/12-rules-for-life/
I originally read through chapter 3, then put it down, but a few days ago my wife wanted to read a book together and she picked Dr. Peterson's. We've been reading aloud to each other, taking turns.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Also, I picked up and read through a short little book called The John Wayne Code: Wit, Wisdom, and Timeless Advice from the American Icon.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-Co.../dp/1942556586

Read through this again a couple of weeks ago. I intend to give it to my oldest brother, who is a Wayne fan, so I wanted to look it over one more time.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:15 AM
Administrator

I finished The Lost History of Christianity a little over a week ago. It became very good by the end. Anyone who wants to veer from the traditional Catholic and Protestant, that is, Western Christiany's history, and find out what happened in the East, especially after the fall of Rome, then during Byzantium, then into the Muslim era, this is the place to start.

I started reading Bearded Gospel Men. Put it down after awhile. Kind of lame, a bit funny, but not much.

Currently reading: http://www.prisonexp.org/book/

In the NKJV I am reading Exodus. Coming close to the end, there. Am in Jeremiah in the ESV, a little more than halfway through, and am only a few chapters from the end of 2 Kings.