Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > Sports Arena
Facebook

Notices

Sports Arena For all those who want to talk sports...

Old 09-04-2007, 05:10 PM

*** My Cuz Felipe Paulino called up to the Astros ****

Just got the news .... my cousin Felipe Paulino was called up to the Astros on the 31st of August. He may be w/ the club as early as tonight and come out of the bullpen, this evening, at the Milwaukee Brewers game.

His father, a former minor league prospect with the LA Dodgers,same name, is beaming w/ pride. His dad was close to being called up when he suffered a career ending injury. I have fond memories of playing catch w/ his Dad.

Mom says it's a dream come true for both of them.

Felipe Jr.'s, grandmother, Vienna, helped raise us since both my mom and dad worked secular jobs. I've never met Junior but look forward to coming into contact w/ him now that he will be playing home games here in Houston. His dad will be arranging the details for our meeting.

----------------------------------------------------

Full Name: Felipe A. Paulino
Born: 10/05/1983
Birthplace: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Height: 6'3" Weight: 245
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
College: N/A
MLB Debut: ---

---------------------------------

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CHICAGO -- As the calendar flips to September, the Astros' traveling party can expect to become much bigger in the next few days.

Seven Minor Leaguers will join the team in the very near future. First up is center fielder Josh Anderson, who was promoted from Triple-A Round Rock and will meet the team in Chicago prior to the Astros' game with the Cubs on Saturday. Right-hander Brandon Backe will also be activated from the disabled list that day.

On Wednesday, six more players will meet the Astros in Milwaukee, upon the conclusion of the Minor League seasons: right-handers Juan Gutierrez and Felipe Paulino, infielder Cody Ransom, outfielder Jason Lane and catchers Humberto Quintero and J.R. Towles.

Paulino was promoted from Double-A Corpus Christi, while the rest of the players will arrive from Round Rock.

Five of the callups are already on the Astros' 40-man roster, but Ransom and Quintero are not. The Astros will move Jason Jennings to the 60-day disabled list, which will clear one spot, but they'll have to take someone off the roster in order to make room for the other. That move will be determined at a later time.

Anderson, a 25-year-old center fielder, was hitting .273 with 16 doubles and 43 RBIs for the Express at the time of his recall. His superior speed is considered an asset and is the biggest reason why he's getting the early call.

"Anderson has made a lot of strides, offensively and defensively," assistant general manager Ricky Bennett said. "We're looking to add speed on the Major League club. He's a center fielder who can play all three outfield positions. He brings one aspect to our club that we don't have, and that's speed. We're trying to improve the depth on our club in that area, and he brings that to the table."

Ransom hit 28 home runs over 132 games for the Express. At 31, he's not considered a prospect, but he has Major League experience and probably earned the promotion as a reward for a job well done.
Ransom is mainly a shortstop and third baseman, but he'll receive consideration at second base as well.

"The guys that we're bringing here, No. 1, have had good years offensively, and also fill some holes here at the Major League level," Bennett said. "In time, Coop [manager Cecil Cooper] and I will talk about how we'll place guys."

Gutierrez and Paulino, both starters in the Minor Leagues, will begin the month in the Astros' bullpen.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Saved & Shaved

Great news. Free tickets.. LoL.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Philippians 4

WE ARE SOOOO PROUD!!!!!

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 09-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
Great news. Free tickets.. LoL.
In there ... like swim wear. Like I said we haven't met .... He doesn't really know many people in the States ... and is still learning the language ...

We were going to meet in New York .... two years ago after my surgery .... but it never panned out. Ironically, he'll be here in H-town .... for at least awhile.

If he can capitalize on this big break and stay up in the majors ... he'd call Houston home for some of the time.

It would be good to have some family here in H-town.

His grandmother sympathized w/ the JW's. I don't know what his faith is like ... perhaps it is an opportunity to share the Gospel w/ him.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Saved & Shaved

Just don't rant and rave about Acts 2:38 and standards 99.9999% of the time. *grin*
Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
GO CUBBIES!

glad he was called up....sorry he was called to the astros. it is a shame he wasnt called up to a winning team!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM
GO CUBBIES!

hook me up with some tickets for next week :-))))
Old 09-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGirl View Post
hook me up with some tickets for next week :-))))
Will your Cubbies be in town?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Good luck to Felipe ,i hope he does well.Go BRAVES.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
GO CUBBIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Will your Cubbies be in town?
yeppers!