Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Really? I think you're incorrect....
I believe he was talking about Alice Cooper's father.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
He impressed me; the other fellow didn't, although he was the better natural orator.
Jeff's[my husband] Dad is an AOG preacher...he was the sort who would preach a fine sermon, be smiling and friendly, tousle his kids hair and look like the perfect husband and father, then come home and beat his wife and kids half to death. Jeff's siblings are still twisted up over it, and Jeff has had to have God's help to get over it himself.

For kids, it's another dimension of mind-boggling when your father is a minister, and lives a double life. And children tend to believe that all other families have the same dynamic as their own, making it difficult for them to trust any other minister, or even God, as a result.

I'm not saying kids don't become responsible for their own actions eventually...of course they do...but there are some parents who are going to pay the piper when God holds them accountable for the damage they did to their children.

I imagine the devil is really pleased with himself for taking those boys where he has.... It's very sad. To me it seems impossible that they would ever find their way back, but with God, nothing is impossible!

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I believe he was talking about Alice Cooper's father.
Oh, okay...you're probably right.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Resident PeaceMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
I dont know about Les Pauls, but you mess up a Fender Tele and you are headed straight down.
Thats right and especially one with a parsons-white string bender.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Just got through watching the news and saw that on the David Letterman Late Show coming on (now on) the musical guests are "The Kings of Leon".

Some have posted about this group on NFCF and I think here. They are the kids from a family that not only used to be UPC but the father was a UPC pastor.

I don't know the story first hand but have heard that the entire family got out of church about the same time and the kids ended up into rock and roll.

I assume this had to be around ten years or more ago since I moved to Nashville in 1999 and the dad was suppposed to have pastored here and I have never heard of him.

I am guessing it must not have been a very big church or it would have been big news.

Does anyone know the family or the story?
They even admit that the title for their new album, Because of the Times is taken from the Mangun Conference.

To bad, the seem very talented, but when Parents live inconsistent lives, and keep an unhealthy heart the children reap it.

In my field and secular job, in almost every case where there is a trouble and screwed up child the blame lays at the feet of parents. 99% of the time!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Their dad could crawl out of bed, get up, and preach a flashy and catchy sermon almost without effort.

But when he preached revivals for us, you had a hard time catching him praying.

Berkeley's pastor, on the other hand, also preached for us.

That man prayed. I know, because I was young and spent a good bit of time at the church praying, and he was there a lot when I was.

He impressed me; the other fellow didn't, although he was the better natural orator.
While I know nothing of either man CS, based on your observations it is quite telling that it isn't just in a persons ability to preach, but in their Character.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
While I know nothing of either man CS, based on your observations it is quite telling that it isn't just in a persons ability to preach, but in their Character.

God spent a couple of chapters in Genesis dealing with the creation of the universe.

He allotted many times that many chapters to the story of Joseph, which really is the saga of a man's character being tried and built through adversity.

Character is THE issue. everything else being equal.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Their dad could crawl out of bed, get up, and preach a flashy and catchy sermon almost without effort.

But when he preached revivals for us, you had a hard time catching him praying.

Berkeley's pastor, on the other hand, also preached for us.

That man prayed. I know, because I was young and spent a good bit of time at the church praying, and he was there a lot when I was.

He impressed me
; the other fellow didn't, although he was the better natural orator.
This made me smile. Elder Coon, he ALWAYS stresses the importance of PRAYER!! ALWAYS!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
God spent a couple of chapters in Genesis dealing with the creation of the universe.

He allotted many times that many chapters to the story of Joseph, which really is the saga of a man's character being tried and built through adversity.

Character is THE issue. everything else being equal.
Good post. I agree. However, I like it when a man has character, a prayer life, AND has good oratory!!!!!

I like them there "total packages" as they say here in Tennessee.

I do know of men who could not preach their way out of a paper bag who built great churches on prayer so you are right on the money that between oratory skills and a prayer life the prayer life goes a lot further and more importantly deeper.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

While there is no doubt that these young men are not on the best possible path for their life I really wonder if proclamations of "demon possession" are appropriate.

Someone can be living a wrong life, committing sin, etc, etc without neccesarily being "demon possessed". Our fallen human nature alone is enough to insure plenty of sin and wrong choices!!!!