Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Snake Handling Easter Service in WSJ

This year's Easter service at the Tabernacle Church of God in La Follette, Tenn., will include many of the holiday's traditional rituals, like Holy Communion and footwashing. There will also be some startling novelties.

"It will be filled with shouting, dancing, speaking in tongues, serpent handling and fire handling," said its 21-year-old pastor, Andrew Hamblin. "We'll celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ with a good old time."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Re: Snake Handling Easter Service in WSJ

These guys are using Facebook to attract new Snake Handling believers.

"Since he opened its doors last fall, Mr. Hamblin's small Pentecostal church, 39 miles north of Knoxville, has grown to almost 50 members, most of them in their 20s. Part of his strategy for expansion has been to use Facebook to publicize the daredevil spiritual exploits of his congregation."

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Thrillseekers?

I can think of a thousand other things to do.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Good grief.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

They believe the words of Jesus. I can't fault them for that.

IMO, the anointing that they are feeling is an adrenaline rush. When I take up a rattler, I'll let you know if it's either/or.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Well, we can be thankful that the bible has no passages that say "And no fall from a great will harm you!" otherwise we would have apostolic cliff divers jumping onto asphalt parking lots.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Christmas 2009

Really wishing these guys weren't called "Pentecostal" and that they weren't from Tennessee!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Really wishing these guys weren't called "Pentecostal" and that they weren't from Tennessee!
It's not just Tennessee. There's a show on Discovery Channel, "Snake Man of Appalachia," featuring a family in rural eastern Kentucky who practice the same thing. It must be a regional practice.

Very interesting...
Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Sister Alvear

Been to a few snake handling churches but they did not handle any in the services we were in ...good people just misguided....

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 04-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Been to a few snake handling churches but they did not handle any in the services we were in ...good people just misguided....
I believe that. But then that's true about most people I know - even some non-Christians...