Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
Unless there's someone getting on the evangelist's nerves by the way that they are "speaking in tongues." Then the evangelist must find some way to "nicely" get the person (or people) to stop without causing hurt. So you just pull something out of your bag of tricks and hope that the person will be confounded long enough for you to minister to others.

Maybe that's just my cynical outlook, but there's enough wackiness in Christendom that you'll never get anything accomplished if you have to stop and straighten out every little sideshow.
We had an evangelist come once to our church. He asked me about another brother if he had the Holy Ghost. I said "Well I think so, but I am not sure because I often hear him praying with others by going "dadadada" say it say it "dadadada" say it, just let it out" and I indicated he might have learned how to speak in tongues at another church. (I think he came here from a Trinitarian Pentecostal org)

To my amazement, disgust and total disappointment, the evangelist said "well it doesn't matter as long as they get it".....I walked away with suspicion of all evangelists that come through after that.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
We had an evangelist come once to our church. He asked me about another brother if he had the Holy Ghost. I said "Well I think so, but I am not sure because I often hear him praying with others by going "dadadada" say it say it "dadadada" say it, just let it out" and I indicated he might have learned how to speak in tongues at another church. (I think he came here from a Trinitarian Pentecostal org)

To my amazement, disgust and total disappointment, the evangelist said "well it doesn't matter as long as they get it".....I walked away with suspicion of all evangelists that come through after that.
What about all the instances where someone has their head shaken so much that their words come our garbled only to have it loudly proclaimed that they "Got it! Glory!"?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
What about all the instances where someone has their head shaken so much that their words come our garbled only to have it loudly proclaimed that they "Got it! Glory!"?
I cringe when that happens. I am sure I have witnessed many premature "fillings" and non-fillings where the church went nuts because someone started declaring "She got it!" and I watch that person leave and never come back...... I keep hearing "If they knew what you and I know, they'd all be here"...so what happened to that person supposedly being filled with the HG? When I got it it was so real it was undeniable. I felt higher than a kite.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.