Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Rhoni Rhoni is offline
delete account


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,086
It really makes a person wonder...

why we have so many well read and well posted threads that have little substance, and then all the Easter and Resurrection threads get little to no attention. Are we getting desensitized to the gospel? Does it not move us anymore? Does it make us uncomfortable? Are we trying to 'normalize' the meaning of this religous holiday?

Just curious as to your thoughts? Our church is showing The Passion tomorrow.

Blessings, Rhoni
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Ron's Avatar
Ron Ron is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,925
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Good question.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Mosby48 Mosby48 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 172
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Our church is having a short play written by one of our members but it seems like everyone is just going through the motions. There is no excitement, no intense feelings of spirituality. It was the same at Christmas and New Years. Its seems most are too caught up in materialism and the daily grind to seek after God anymore. All you are hearing is about the meal and easter egg hunt. Then Volleyball and washers in the evening. Of course, evening services are cancelled since all will be too tired.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 AM
simplyme simplyme is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 996
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Desensitized? Probable although I can not count myself in that group., Resurrection Day., TO ME..is tops!
__________________
You can tell more about people
by what they say about others...than by what others
say about them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Rhoni Rhoni is offline
delete account


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,086
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

My sister has new neighbors, a new young couple. She invited them to join us for Dinner on Sunday. They kindly told her they were Jewish, she said, "That doesn't matter, you can come to church with us and eat dinner with us whether you are Jewish or not." They were so overwhelmed at her kindness. Please pray that Jesus manifests himself to them through us tomorrow afternoon.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 AM
A_PoMo's Avatar
A_PoMo A_PoMo is offline
^ = A_Post-Modern


 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,654
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
My sister has new neighbors, a new young couple. She invited them to join us for Dinner on Sunday. They kindly told her they were Jewish, she said, "That doesn't matter, you can come to church with us and eat dinner with us whether you are Jewish or not." They were so overwhelmed at her kindness. Please pray that Jesus manifests himself to them through us tomorrow afternoon.
I think the humiliation/kenosis and exaltation of Christ is more of a theology to us than a reality. Easter has morphed into an evangelistic 'opportunity' for most evangelical churches as we try to carpe diem and grow our churches more than we do celebrate the basis of our faith. It's a subtle but significant shift. I don't think we feel Easter and all it celebrates is unimportant, i just think we've misplaced our priority in general. Kinda gotten the cart before the horse, so to speak. I was struck by this other day when I heard a lady refer to this Sunday as Resurrection Sunday instead of Easter. I liked her approach. Maybe we ought to start there, stop calling it Easter which conjures up images of eggs, bunnies, chocolate, dramas, big out reach, slogans, pretty dresses, and new shoes.
__________________
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Rhoni Rhoni is offline
delete account


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,086
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_PoMo View Post
I think the humiliation/kenosis and exaltation of Christ is more of a theology to us than a reality. Easter has morphed into an evangelistic 'opportunity' for most evangelical churches as we try to carpe diem and grow our churches more than we do celebrate the basis of our faith. It's a subtle but significant shift. I don't think we feel Easter and all it celebrates is unimportant, i just think we've misplaced our priority in general. Kinda gotten the cart before the horse, so to speak. I was struck by this other day when I heard a lady refer to this Sunday as Resurrection Sunday instead of Easter. I liked her approach. Maybe we ought to start there, stop calling it Easter which conjures up images of eggs, bunnies, chocolate, dramas, big out reach, slogans, pretty dresses, and new shoes.
A_PoMo,

You know, I couldn't agree more.

Blessings to you this Resurrection Sunday!
Rhoni
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Bro-Larry's Avatar
Bro-Larry Bro-Larry is offline
I believe the Gospel of Jesus


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North end of DFW Airport
Posts: 1,375
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_PoMo View Post
I think the humiliation/kenosis and exaltation of Christ is more of a theology to us than a reality. Easter has morphed into an evangelistic 'opportunity' for most evangelical churches as we try to carpe diem and grow our churches more than we do celebrate the basis of our faith. It's a subtle but significant shift. I don't think we feel Easter and all it celebrates is unimportant, i just think we've misplaced our priority in general. Kinda gotten the cart before the horse, so to speak. I was struck by this other day when I heard a lady refer to this Sunday as Resurrection Sunday instead of Easter. I liked her approach. Maybe we ought to start there, stop calling it Easter which conjures up images of eggs, bunnies, chocolate, dramas, big out reach, slogans, pretty dresses, and new shoes.
I agree A_PoMo, Great post Rhoni,

Since the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of The Christ is the most important event in the history of all mankind, I reject all the religious, pagan and commercial trappings that have been added to the celebration of it. Especially the stupid concept of chicken eggs and bunnie rabbits.
__________________
The Gospel of Jesus Christ: Jesus bore away my sins, my sickness, and my poverty. That covers it all. Everything else is just legalism.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Joelel Joelel is offline
Banned


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tx.
Posts: 2,222
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
why we have so many well read and well posted threads that have little substance, and then all the Easter and Resurrection threads get little to no attention. Are we getting desensitized to the gospel? Does it not move us anymore? Does it make us uncomfortable? Are we trying to 'normalize' the meaning of this religous holiday?

Just curious as to your thoughts? Our church is showing The Passion tomorrow.

Blessings, Rhoni
I don't do Christmas or Easter,to many pagan things got put in both by the Catholic church.Don't do Holloween either.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
A_PoMo's Avatar
A_PoMo A_PoMo is offline
^ = A_Post-Modern


 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,654
Re: It really makes a person wonder...

Just saw thing on Yahoo News about how Americans spent $1.9 BILLION on Easter candy this year.

Makes me want to read Amos again.
__________________
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is sex before marrage a sin if you marry the person? stmatthew Deep Waters 141 10-23-2014 08:56 AM
How can a person learn to trust again? JaneEyre Fellowship Hall 31 01-14-2008 06:08 PM
The person most missed is.... BoredOutOfMyMind Fellowship Hall 26 01-04-2008 06:51 AM
What makes a person tender hearted? Sister Alvear Fellowship Hall 5 09-30-2007 02:06 PM
Should This Person get Paid? Praxeas Fellowship Hall 24 08-15-2007 10:38 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by houston

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.