Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

How Old is the Earth?

Dr. Al Mohler's argues for a young earth theologically.

http://www.christianity.com/ligonier/?speaker=mohler2
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: How Old is the Earth?

How old is the earth?

I don't think anybody knows.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

A slightly sarcastic commentary:

TJ,
First let me thank you for sending me that BioLogos link, in which they took Al Mohler to task for his views on creation. Thanks as well for your amusing comments, ribbing me for advocating a 6-day, Day-day, understanding of the Genesis 1 text. You're always so kind in sending me links to news stories about science, life, the universe and everything.

I answered a lot of questions for you yesterday, my responses to the BioLogos queries to Dr. Mohler. I actually came up with a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Now, you are in fact quite theologically conservative, a PCA elder in fact. Not only so, but you teach elder candidates. You are a Biblical inerrantist and also hold firmly to the Westminster Confession of Faith, with very few reservations. Lets leave aside IV.1. for the moment.

You believe that Jesus Christ was born from mother who was a virgin. Born male, of course. So it is not a case of human parthenogenesis. I can look up some links for you, if you want, but I think I am not overstepping my knowledge to point out that this is biologically impossible.

You fully accept the account that Jesus walked on water (and Peter for a moment). Perhaps we can explore the physics involved here. Studies have shown that human bodies have a tendency to pass through the surface tension of a body of water, though there is a variable amount of buoyancy to them. Empirical evidence suggests that both you and I enjoy a relatively high degree of buoyancy, owing to the generous lipid content of our body habitus.

You affirm that Jesus transformed a quantity of water into wine. I take it that where there was previously only H20 and some mineral solutes, after Jesus effected His change, the batch now included fructose, alcohol, and various tannins, among others. I seem to recall a little ditty we learned in school known as the First Law of Thermodynamics, which assures us matter can neither be created nor destroyed. Have we got ourselves a clash with science here?

Now Jesus also raised a number of people from the dead, including one man who had been dead for three days, with olfactory evidence of significant tissue breakdown. Medically speaking, this sort of thing just doesn't happen, can't happen. You (and I too) turn a deaf ear to science at this point, and maintain that whether or not it could happen, it did happen. And if science doesn't like it, too bad.

Jesus Himself rose from the dead. You would never dream of suggesting otherwise. I wonder if you would mind giving me your scientific understanding of this event. You know, we even have an account of a "science vs. faith" clash recorded in the Bible, on this very subject. I Cor. 15:12-13

Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.

You know, scientifically speaking, those guys had a point. Once dead, always dead, would be a succinct way of putting the scientific view of the matter. Oh, a couple of minutes on table, and the paddles can get a heart beating again, sure. But Jesus went at least from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning in a state of deadness, and then all of a sudden, He was alive again.
In fact, you believe the same thing is going to happen to you, only you possibly will have been dead hundreds or thousands of years. After this, you fully expect to continue alive indefinitely, with a body impervious to pain or disease or aging, a life never to come to an end. What would you suppose is the scientific view on the possiblity of this happening?
In fact the whole cosmos is due to be entirely re-created, is it not. You affirm this. Given your views about what did or did not happen in the original creation, informed by the pronouncements of science, how would you suppose that this re-creation of the heavens and the earth are likely to concord with science?

Well, my point is, you believe a great many things that science, observation of the phenomena of the cosmos, tells us did not happen, could not happen, will not happen. Yet when I suggest that taking the language of Genesis 1, in regard to the seven-day time references, as a reliable report on its face, you ridicule my suggestion as being risible, clearly not to be believed, in light of what science tells us.

Is it possible you are being a tad selective in your objections? Am I not somewhat justified in complaining of a double standard? Is there something about the creation account being long ago, and less central to the essentials of the faith, that allows us to treat it differently than all the other matters I've cited?
Just wondering.

http://theologica.ning.com/profiles/...er-to-tj-about
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
How old is the earth?

I don't think anybody knows.
Sorry, Sam.

It should say "Why does the Universe look so old?"

You'll find the answer given in the 62nd minute..."the universe looks old, because the Creator made it whole."

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Sorry, Sam.

It should say "Why does the Universe look so old?"

You'll find the answer given in the 62nd minute..."the universe looks old, because the Creator made it whole."
What exactly does that mean?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

The earth is far, far more than 6,000 years old. A study of the geology of the earth makes that clear and it calls back to the days (which I have known) of preachers saying there was no such thing as dinosaurs to say otherwise.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

there is no way to ever know how old it really is .. no man can say this is 1,000,000 years old ,, what guy lived that long to know how it will look in that time span? what devise could we definitly say can measure it since noone has or can live that long to prove that it can? lol.

in the beginning god created heaven and the earth, earth was without form and void,, we dont know, how long god left it like that till. he started saying let there be......

what does it really matter anyhow? doesnt change salvation ,make god biger or lesser by being older or younger ,,,only way i know i am 51 years old is my mom has a paper that says i was born on such a date ,,

the earth is pretty old ,alot older than me lol. between god makeing a world and forming it and putting things on it , heck he might have went and built a few more somewhere else ....inbetween that ..who knows ,,,
Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

There definitely isn't a clock or a calender somewhere we can consult but things such as the Hawaiian Island chain shed some light on it. I'm not just speaking of the visible islands. I am speaking of the entire 3700 mile stretch of undersea mountains. They were all formed from the same magma plume. As the volcanic activity spews out hot lava it cools and gets higher and higher forming islands. Then over time the islands erode back down beneath the sea surface.

This chain is formed by the gradual movement of the Pacific tectonic plate. This 3700 mile stretch of islands & undersea mountains would have taken millions of years to form.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Dr. Al Mohler's argues for a young earth theologically.

http://www.christianity.com/ligonier/?speaker=mohler2
I can't view the video's on this computer, but I'm sure he brings up Genesis 1:2. The Hebrew word for was, could also be translated became, thus the verse would read, "And the earth became without form and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep."

I heard Bro. Booker teach this a long time ago.

1 Cor. chapter 14 and verse 8 KJV
8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

Joel chapter 2 and verse 1
Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;
Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Official Hog Washer

Define "the earth."