Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

I disagree about that being the official gumbo of the world.Sorry but
the official gumbo of the world would be my Aunt Aline's Duck and Andouille
Gumbo.

For the brave at heart there is always."Guinea Gumbo."

http://www.guineafarm.com/breeders.html
Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouvere View Post
I disagree about that being the official gumbo of the world.Sorry but
the official gumbo of the world would be my Aunt Aline's Duck and Andouille
Gumbo.

For the brave at heart there is always."Guinea Gumbo."

http://www.guineafarm.com/breeders.html
disagree all you want. my gumbo is the "Mother sauce" all others are variations.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
disagree all you want. my gumbo is the "Mother sauce" all others are variations.
keep believing it
Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

What is this ingredient?

1 pound sliced andouille
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
What is this ingredient?

1 pound sliced andouille
It is a type of sausage... hmmmm tryin to think of how to splain' it... lets see if they have something close out dar....Wondermus!!!! Delightful!

(French: [ɑ̃duj], American English: [ɑnˡdu:ɪ]) is defined [1] as "a course[sic]-grained smoked meat made using pork, chitterlings, pepper, onions, wine, and seasonings. Andouille is French in origin, and was brought to Louisiana by French or German immigrants. Today the sausage is most often associated with Cajun cooking." [1]

Andouille (pronounced "ahn-DOO-wee") is the Cajun smoked sausage so famous nationally today. Made with pork butt, shank and a small amount of pork fat, this sausage is seasoned with salt, cracked black pepper and garlic. The andouille is then slowly smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane. True andouille is stuffed into the beef middle casing which makes the sausage approximately one and a half inches in diameter. When smoked, it becomes very dark to almost black in color. It is not uncommon for the Cajuns to smoke andouille for seven to eight hours at approximately 175 degrees.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingGrace View Post
It is a type of sausage... hmmmm tryin to think of how to splain' it... lets see if they have something close out dar....Wondermus!!!! Delightful!

(French: [ɑ̃duj], American English: [ɑnˡdu:ɪ]) is defined [1] as "a course[sic]-grained smoked meat made using pork, chitterlings, pepper, onions, wine, and seasonings. Andouille is French in origin, and was brought to Louisiana by French or German immigrants. Today the sausage is most often associated with Cajun cooking." [1]

Andouille (pronounced "ahn-DOO-wee") is the Cajun smoked sausage so famous nationally today. Made with pork butt, shank and a small amount of pork fat, this sausage is seasoned with salt, cracked black pepper and garlic. The andouille is then slowly smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane. True andouille is stuffed into the beef middle casing which makes the sausage approximately one and a half inches in diameter. When smoked, it becomes very dark to almost black in color. It is not uncommon for the Cajuns to smoke andouille for seven to eight hours at approximately 175 degrees.
Awe thanks. I wonder if it is what gives the flavor to the Andouille Gumbo's?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

It is not uncommon for the Cajuns to smoke andouille for seven to eight hours at approximately 175 degrees.
This must be why Cajuns drink so much.All the smoking is bound to make a peson thirsty.lol.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouvere View Post
It is not uncommon for the Cajuns to smoke andouille for seven to eight hours at approximately 175 degrees.
This must be why Cajuns drink so much.All the smoking is bound to make a peson thirsty.lol.
Thats funny dont care who ya are! Is the second hand smoke from that bad for ya????
Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Re: Need Some Cajun Recipes from Some of You Ragin

Bumping for Margie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Just because I am sooooo nice, here is the official gumbo recipe of the WORLD

Real Gumbo, not that disgusting stuff that gets passed off as gumbo by people who don’t know better.

This is the OFFICIAL GUMBO OF THE WORLD! All other variants are just that: Variants. Why would you want a variant when you can have the real thing?

Ingredients:

2 Cups Flour
2 ½ cups Canola Oil
1 Chicken cut up.
2 Bay leaves
1 Onion quartered
2 Stalks Celery cut in large chunks
1 large Carrot

1 Lbs. Sausage
1 Onion diced
3 Cloves Garlic crushed
1 Green Bell Pepper diced
4 Stalks Celery diced
Tony Chachere's seasoning.
Green Onion

Roux:
Pre Heat Oven to 400
Mix the Flour and Canola Oil in a Dutch Oven (if you don’t have one go buy one). Place in oven. Check and stir every 15 minutes until the color is chocolate. If the roux starts to look gritty, add some more oil. (This is the hard part. You need to get the consistency of the uncooked roux right. It should be pretty loose but not overly so. Kind of like a milk shake that is about half melted. )
When the color is a chocolate brown remove from oven and stir to cool. If it smells burnt it is toss it and start over.

Cook the Chicken in a large stockpot with the Bay leaves, quartered onion, 2 stalks celery and large carrot for 1 hour. When the Chicken is done, take it out of the sock and de-bone
Remove all the ingredients from the stock. Reserve the Bay leaves. Allow the Stock to cool enough to degrease.

Cook the Sausage in a skillet and set aside.
Sauté the Diced Veggies and Garlic in the drippings from the sausage. Add butter or Olive Oil if needed.

Bring the Stock to boil and then start adding the Roux. When about half the Roux is added, start adding the Tony Chachere’s. When the saltiness is right the spice will be right. If you can’t take the spiciness don’t make gumbo. Add more Roux to desired taste and consistency. I add it all.

Add the veggies, sausage and deboned chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Adjust the flavor. Degrease as much as possible. Just before serving slice the green onions and put on top of the Gumbo. Serve over Rice.

LONG GRAIN RICE! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER USE PAR-BOILED OR MINUTE RICE WITH GUMBO! THAT WILL KEEP YOU OUT OF HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good Cajun will Serve Gumbo over potato salad. It is very good that way….

If you want, get some Gumbo File Powder. ***VERY IMPORTANT*** don’t add the File to the Pot. NEVER allow gumbo with File to come to a boil it gets stringy this is one of the things that people do that makes me nuts…. Almost as bad as serving with Par-Boiled rice (something that God and I hate by the way). If you cant cook real rice, invest in a rice cooker they are great!
Sprinkle your Gumbo (in your bowl) with the File and enjoy!
Tabasco is also appropriate but don’t add to the pot, it might offend the weak tongued…
Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Re: Need Some Cajun Recipes from Some of You Ragin

This recipe looks awesome! I can't wait to try it!