Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Then you are making an issue out of a lady's uncut hair and all that is included in the faith of those who believe this, contrary to what you stated above.
No, I am not making an issue out of uncut hair. I am making an issue out of this idiotic teaching that has surfaced in the last few years that a woman with uncut hair has some supernatural hocus pocus power that other women don't. It's ridiculous, to say the least, and apostolics should be embarassed that people in our ranks have been gullable enough to believe it. It's one thing to have a conviction on not cutting your hair. I have yet to see anyone argue against it from the personal conviction standpoint. It's another entirely to believe you have some special power because of it.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Communion at AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
No, I am not making an issue out of uncut hair. I am making an issue out of this idiotic teaching that has surfaced in the last few years that a woman with uncut hair has some supernatural hocus pocus power that other women don't. It's ridiculous, to say the least, and apostolics should be embarassed that people in our ranks have been gullable enough to believe it. It's one thing to have a conviction on not cutting your hair. I have yet to see anyone argue against it from the personal conviction standpoint. It's another entirely to believe you have some special power because of it.
Okay. Your choice, your belief.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

This teaching is disturbing. But, I've thought that for quite a while now. Strange hair teachings have been around pre-Ruth Reider-Harvey.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Right to choose whether to reject or accept the glory GOD gave to a woman?????

Why would someone take away something God said was their glory??? Are they saying I don't believe what God said or I reject what God said or I am wiser than God??????

Please enlighten us.
You are a strict literalist, correct?

Then, pray tell, why does the scripture begin with:
1 Cor. 11:15 (KJV)
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

The word "if" in Strong's:

ean, eh-an'; from Greek 1487 (ei) and Greek 302 (an); a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.; often used in connection with other particles to denote indefiniteness or uncertainty :- before, but, except, (and) if, (if) so, (what-, whither-) soever, though, when (-soever), whether (or), to whom, [who-] so (-ever). See Greek 3361 (me).

Extra-Bibilcal, to say the least. Is God "conditional", "indefinite", or "uncertain"?

NO, but your interpretation certainly is.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
You are a strict literalist, correct?

If he was a strict literalist he would teach that only women can't wear gold and pearls and costly array, but it would be ok to wear silver and diamonds
Old 05-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
If he was a strict literalist he would teach that only women can't wear gold and pearls and costly array, but it would be ok to wear silver and diamonds

Nevertheless,
I believe he would describe himself as such.

Patiently waiting for a disclaimer, OK, maybe not so patiently....
Old 05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Isn't he cute?!

Oh, boy. I know I'm gonna get into trouble, but I can't hardly stand to let this one go by.

I wish that every woman would stop cutting their hair. I think it benefits their walk with God. I think it benefits the church. I believe it benefits our society, and the church's witness. Comprende?

BUT! This is NUTS!

A woman's hair is NOT her glory. It is a glory TO HER!

The power on her head is NOT HER HAIR! If anything it is God honoring her with his presence and anointing because of a spirit of obedience--BUT LET ME PROMISE YOU THAT IF YOU HAVE A REBELLIOUS SPIRIT--YOU CAN HAVE YOUR HAIR TOUCH YOUR TOES AND YOU WILL HAVE NO ANOINTING OR POWER FROM IT!!!

Her testimony, because of her hair, can have a powerful effect and demonstration, sure--but you don't get more anointing the longer your hair gets.

We can build this thing up so far that it is just stupid...taking the glory away from God...and turning it over from the Creator to the created creature.

It is a glory TO HER because it demonstrates something ABOUT HER! But, hypocrisy can reign where there has never been a pair of scissors--and sincerity and purity can reign where the scissors were just at.

Hair is an extremely important subject--I agree--but we not only can strain at a gnat and swallow a camel--we can strain at a principle and swallow a work.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Prince View Post
Oh, boy. I know I'm gonna get into trouble, but I can't hardly stand to let this one go by.

I wish that every woman would stop cutting their hair. I think it benefits their walk with God. I think it benefits the church. I believe it benefits our society, and the church's witness. Comprende?

BUT! This is NUTS!

A woman's hair is NOT her glory. It is a glory TO HER!

The power on her head is NOT HER HAIR! If anything it is God honoring her with his presence and anointing because of a spirit of obedience--BUT LET ME PROMISE YOU THAT IF YOU HAVE A REBELLIOUS SPIRIT--YOU CAN HAVE YOUR HAIR TOUCH YOUR TOES AND YOU WILL HAVE NO ANOINTING OR POWER FROM IT!!!

Her testimony, because of her hair, can have a powerful effect and demonstration, sure--but you don't get more anointing the longer your hair gets.

We can build this thing up so far that it is just stupid...taking the glory away from God...and turning it over from the Creator to the created creature.
No trouble here, brother.

I understand, but since we cannot teach it as biblical principle, or salvational, what is your answer?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Prince View Post

BP- Not trying to pick on you; but to better understand where you are coming from....

Where is the benefit? How does uncut hair:

1. Benefit a woman's walk with God?

2. Benefit the church?

3. Benefit society?

4. Benefit the church's witness?

Curious...
Old 05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Isn't he cute?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
No trouble here, brother.

I understand, but since we cannot teach it as biblical principle, or salvational, what is your answer?
Bro. Tatum--there are volumes written on this--and I think most know that I treasure our standards but no necessarily live and breathe the "you are going to hell if..." line on every single little point. I still think that hair can play a tremendous role in a Christian walk and witness--and that walking away from the "old-fashioned" standard has its very negative drawbacks, and greatly concerns me. I just won't say, "You are going to hell" over it.