Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Somebody smack me if I am posting too much advice, okay?

Darcie, The most enjoyable aspect of HM is that you get to be gatherers. A HM pastor must be approachable, idealistic, and a gatherer.

Remember, never scatter the flock, no matter how unlike sheep they may seem. Never pull up what you think is a tare, for it may be your harvest. Value everyone. Every soul counts.

Did you ever notice how many people Jesus gathered? He was always gathering the ones no one else wanted. The religious people hated him for that. Talking to an adulterer at a well, having dinner with a thieving tax collector, hanging around drunks.

Your job is to gather those sorts of people. You are fulfilling his mission to "seek and save that which is lost". So Darcie dear, gather people.

My wife and I have helped every type of miscreant imaginable. We have invited people into our home that had never had an old-fashioned home-cooked meal. We have helped rid families of lice (scared to death the entire time). We have bailed souls out of jail.

I don't regret any of it.

Don't believe the lie that numbers don't matter. They do. They do because you are to be a gatherer. You are a harvester.

Keep it coming! As you can tell we are all loving it!

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

We have been involved in planting churches from scratch. I would like to say first of all that Pastor Poster has shared from his own experience some of the advice I would have given. It is apparent he has gained valuable wisdom. I can see him writing a book that would be a great source of encouragement to church planters.

One of the mistakes many HM's make is to focus too much on a building with the concept of the church being the building and then spending much money and energy to get people into the building. It's important to stay focused on "the field is the world" and then become creative in how you can meet the needs represented in the world God has called you into.

Church is a "people" business. So, we concentrated on doing whatever put us in personal contact with people. I have always said that no matter what size the community may be you are called to, you must reach people "one by one" and "one on one."

Love people, not for what they may represent to the growth of your church, but because they need to be loved into the kingdom of God. At the same time, be prepared to be hurt deeply, for some of the people you will show the greatest love to will become your greatest disappointment. We have to love a lot to gain a little it seems.

Home Missionaries are the true heroes in my opinion. We so often put the Foreign Missionary on a pedestal, but most of them live a higher standard of living than they did at home. The Home Missionary meanwhile often has given up much to struggle to plant a church while working a full time job and without all the perks enjoyed by foreign missionaries.

In the end it's the call of God that makes the difference!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Numbers matter as does impact.

Numbers matter for sooooo many reasons. A large group is encouraging, there is power in numbers. I'm not saying that numbers is everything it just does matter.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 07-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
They're not all like the way you describe Chewy and I just feel that I need to speak up and say that.

We started a church a few years ago and the one thing that we said we absolutely didn't want, was exactly what we got. That is, saints from another church.

They had been unhappy for a long time but had stayed in their church, been faithful, paid their tithes and after they left there and started coming to the work we started they never talked bad or disrespectfully about the church or the pastor.

They also didn't come prepared to manipulate. They simply weren't like that at all.

We were totally surprised this happened - totally - and we did or said nothing to encourage them. No way! It was totally their own decision to make the choice they did. I felt sick at heart for the man who had been their pastor because I know what it's like to lose good people who you love and have developed relationship with.

I have to say it sure was wonderful going to church with people who were grounded, loved God and had a great attitude vs. going alone and struggling by ourselves.
Felicity, please don't just skim over what I wrote, read it.

I said there are folks who bounce from church to church to church and are never grounded. Sure they may try to set and grow roots, but chances are they won't. I have seen this circumstance too many times in the ministries of new pastors, many of which include dear friends and family members and in the end it is just one big frustration. The stuff usually hits the fan when the pastor asks them to make a sacrifice in one area or another or if he has to give correction.

Your situation is not at all what I was talking about.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
Numbers matter for sooooo many reasons. A large group is encouraging, there is power in numbers. I'm not saying that numbers is everything it just does matter.
I agree.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
Just don't put quantity over quality. Quality before quantity usually results in a quantity with quality.

...lets hear you say that three times fast.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
PP if you are posting too much, i must like too much. This is great.

anyone can tell this is a subject that is dear to your heart.
I agree. His passion is coming through loud and clear, and in a good way! This has been a good thread so far.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
One of the most difficult things to deal with in a new church are regurgitated saints.

By this I mean those people who have bounced from church to church or in your case, from organization to organization leaving quite a gut trail, and they come in nicey nicey, sincere, and willing to do anything, thinking they will have a chance to manipulate the bright eyed and bushy tailed pastor.

Be very wary and never ever ever trade a so called well traveled and troubled saint for increased numbers or heavier offering coffers. ALWAYS check references of folks coming from other churches.

And saints should make sure to check references on any pastor whose church they are planning on becoming a member of. Let's not forget that important piece of advice.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Felicity, please don't just skim over what I wrote, read it.

I said there are folks who bounce from church to church to church and are never grounded. Sure they may try to set and grow roots, but chances are they won't. I have seen this circumstance too many times in the ministries of new pastors, many of which include dear friends and family members and in the end it is just one big frustration. The stuff usually hits the fan when the pastor asks them to make a sacrifice in one area or another or if he has to give correction.

Your situation is not at all what I was talking about.
I read what you wrote and I agree with you (guess I forgot to affirm what you wrote), and we've had these kind of people come along. I just wanted to say that not all people who change churches are bouncers or act the way you've described --- to their credit.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

We were in Home Missions for five years. It was filled with challenges for certain. We started with 2 older ladies which was SUCH a blessing. Five years later we left a church of about 13. We did have a building, but it was the right thing to do for us (purchase a building). Not everyone should do that as soon as we did, but it was definately orchestrated by God for us and I have no regrets. The church is doing fairly well now from what I hear.