Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Cross-examine it!

Re: Tragedy of War RECOVERED! LISTEN!

I don't think it was tacky to Mention Olive Haney at all. This is what they looked like back in the day.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
I don't think it was tacky to Mention Olive Haney at all. This is what they looked like back in the day.

What evidence is there that this picture was taken while Sis. Haney was in the church? It was 12 years before the merger was she Pentecostal then? I am not saying she was not.....I am asking does anyone really know? Are there any pictures of her still like this after the merger? I have pictures of my mother wearing pearls and earrings in the 30's and 40's but that was before she was saved.....incidentally she was at the merger WT Witherspoon was her pastor at that time.

Additionally.....I challenge you or anyone to provide proof that this is "how they looked back then." My mother had many photos from that era and none of them showed jewelry and makeup. Beards, mustaches, goatees, absolutely.....dress was modest (for the most part) in society in general so the church did not have much difference

Last edited by bishoph; 09-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishoph View Post
What evidence is there that this picture was taken while Sis. Haney was in the church? It was 12 years before the merger was she Pentecostal then? I am not saying she was not.....I am asking does anyone really know? Are there any pictures of her still like this after the merger? I have pictures of my mother wearing pearls and earrings in the 30's and 40's but that was before she was saved.....incidentally she was at the merger WT Witherspoon was her pastor at that time.
Good point/question.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.

Last edited by Truthseeker; 09-15-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post

Sorry, I just had to fix this picture a bit.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
You think Landmark Conference, which is for everyone, is the place to air personal grievances against the organization? What good is speaking out at Landmark, other than being known as the one who called out his organization and gave a controversial message?

The better forum is during the business meeting at General Conference. If you truly want to do more than just be a martyr, and if you truly want to orchestrate a change...that is the place to do it. Obviously, it would have to be narrowed down and shortened in length. But that's where it should be done.

His reference to Olive Haney was tacky, as was his question of whether or not Goss would be allowed behind a UPC pulpit.

I do agree with his premise, and his statements of how the UPC was formed, I just don't agree with the forum and a couple parts where he seems to just take shots at the org.
I disagree. He pointed out the inconsistencies, it wasn't tacky. And behind closed doors the politics are really thick.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 09-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Great question.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Great sermon! I heard it first several years ago... still love it!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

The tares and wheat analogy is out ofcontext.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.

Last edited by Truthseeker; 09-15-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:

Additionally.....I challenge you or anyone to provide proof that this is "how they looked back then." My mother had many photos from that era and none of them showed jewelry and makeup. Beards, mustaches, goatees, absolutely.....dress was modest (for the most part) in society in general so the church did not have much difference
Loren Yadon says in his sermon that she was out of Frank Ewart's church. He was one of the biggest defenders of Olive Haney. If you wanted to find yourself on the outside with him, just attack OH.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

The terms "heretics" and "tares" I think are not his view of those whom he disagrees with.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves