Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-29-2020, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Re: Chronicles of Narnia-C.S. Lewis

Interesting Prophesy from 1942...
From the book: “The Devil's Letters to His Nephew” by C. S. Lewis(1942)

“And how did you manage to bring so many souls to hell at that time? -Because of fear. -Ah, yes. Excellent strategy; old and always current. But what were they afraid of? Fear of being tortured? Fear of war? Fear of hunger? -No. -Fear of getting sick. -But then, no one else got sick at that time? -No. -Yes, they were sick. -I'm sorry. -Nobody else was dying? -Yes, they died. -But there was no cure for the disease? -There was. -Then I don't understand. - Since no one else believed and taught about eternal life and eternal death, they thought they had only that life, and they clung to it with all their strength, even if it cost them their affection (they did not hug or greet each other, they had no human contact for days and days); their money (they lost their jobs, spent all their savings, and still thought themselves lucky to be prevented from earning their bread); their intelligence (one day the press said one thing and the next day it contradicted itself, and still they believed it all); their freedom (they did not leave their house, did not walk, did not visit their relatives. ...it was a big concentration camp for voluntary prisoners! They accepted everything, everything, as long as they could overcome their miserable lives one more day. They no longer had the slightest idea that He, and only He, is the one who gives life and ends it. It was like that, as easy as it had ever been.”
Old 09-29-2020, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post

Interesting Prophesy from 1942...
From the book: “The Devil's Letters to His Nephew” by C. S. Lewis(1942)

“And how did you manage to bring so many souls to hell at that time? -Because of fear. -Ah, yes. Excellent strategy; old and always current. But what were they afraid of? Fear of being tortured? Fear of war? Fear of hunger? -No. -Fear of getting sick. -But then, no one else got sick at that time? -No. -Yes, they were sick. -I'm sorry. -Nobody else was dying? -Yes, they died. -But there was no cure for the disease? -There was. -Then I don't understand. - Since no one else believed and taught about eternal life and eternal death, they thought they had only that life, and they clung to it with all their strength, even if it cost them their affection (they did not hug or greet each other, they had no human contact for days and days); their money (they lost their jobs, spent all their savings, and still thought themselves lucky to be prevented from earning their bread); their intelligence (one day the press said one thing and the next day it contradicted itself, and still they believed it all); their freedom (they did not leave their house, did not walk, did not visit their relatives. ...it was a big concentration camp for voluntary prisoners! They accepted everything, everything, as long as they could overcome their miserable lives one more day. They no longer had the slightest idea that He, and only He, is the one who gives life and ends it. It was like that, as easy as it had ever been.”
Interesting . . .
Old 09-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

The post above (#51) made the rounds on FB and the interwebs at the beginning of the lockdowns in April. The only issue is that C.S. Lewis never wrote a book entitled "The Devil's Letters to His Nephew." That entire quote and story is completely made up by someone and falsely attributed to Lewis.

I've found a lot of quotes attributed to Lewis and others that were made up by someone other than the attributed author.

I don't believe Lewis was into witchcraft or paganism. He simply loved allegories and was a good story teller. Another good author who liked allegories is Frank Peretti.

Like it or not, many Biblical stories and themes have pagan counterfeits.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:59 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
The post above (#51) made the rounds on FB and the interwebs at the beginning of the lockdowns in April. The only issue is that C.S. Lewis never wrote a book entitled "The Devil's Letters to His Nephew." That entire quote and story is completely made up by someone and falsely attributed to Lewis.

I've found a lot of quotes attributed to Lewis and others that were made up by someone other than the attributed author.

I don't believe Lewis was into witchcraft or paganism. He simply loved allegories and was a good story teller. Another good author who liked allegories is Frank Peretti.

Like it or not, many Biblical stories and themes have pagan counterfeits.

I would have thought that was from The Screwtape Letters.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
I would have thought that was from The Screwtape Letters.
That's what I wondered at first. But it's not there either.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you please post your source for the quote you claim is from page 129 of CS Lewis’ book, Reflections on the Psalms?

Edit: I found the quote on page 112 of Reflections of the Psalms. It's a bit misleading of whoever your source is to post a very selective and edited quote taken, IMO, very much out of context. Then again, that's par for the course with the internet. People slice and dice quotes, cutting them out of context and not only out of context but also cutting them out of complete sentences to arrange them in a way that causes them to appear to say something other than what was actually written.

Have you read Reflections of the Psalms? It's a good book. Short as well -- only 11 chapters and 131 pages, the final dozen pages or so are Appendices.

Reading this book explained Lewis' love for allegory. He compares some of the allegories in Psalms to writings of pagan mythology.

Here's the context of the quote:
"""Few things once seemed to me more frigid and far-fetched than those interpretations, whether of this Psalm or of the Song of Songs, which identify the Bridegroom with Christ and the Bride with the Church. Indeed, as we read the frank erotic poetry of the latter and contrast it with the edifying headlines in our Bibles, it is easy to be moved to a smile, even a cynically knowing smile, as if the pious interpreters were feigning an absurd innocence. I should still find it very hard to believe that anything like the 'spiritual' sense was remotely intended by the original writers. But no one now (I fancy) who accepts that spiritual or second sense is denying, or saying anything against, the very plain sense which the writers did intend.

The Psalm remains a rich, festive Epithalamium, the Song remains fine, sometimes exquisite, love poetry, and this is not in the least obliterated by the burden of the new meaning. (Man is still one of the primates; a poem is still black marks on white paper.) And later I began to see that the new meaning is not arbitrary and springs from the depths I had not suspected. First, the language of nearly all great mystics, not even in a common tradition, some of them Pagan, some Islamic, most Christian, confronts us with evidence that the image of marriage, of sexual union, is not only profoundly natural but almost inevitable as a means of expressing the desired union between God and man. The very word 'union' has already entailed some such idea. Secondly, the god as bridegroom, his 'holy marriage' with the goddess, is a recurrent theme and a recurrent ritual in many forms of Paganism -- Paganism not at what we should call its purest or most enlightened, but perhaps at its most religious, at its most serious and convinced.

And if, as I believe, Christ, in transcending and thus abrogating, also fulfils, both Paganism and Judaism, then we may expect that He fulfils this side of it too. This, as well as all else, is to be 'summed up' in Him."""

I don't believe Lewis is affirming paganism. He's speaking of the allegories that exist between Scripture and mythology but writes that Christ is both greater than paganism and abolished it.
I read about C.S Lewis on a vlog from a former witch. They use the work of C.S Lewis to educate those that are beginning in the craft. You can believe it or not, I firmly believe the way he wrote, the style he used to try to “describe” God falls in line with paganism.

Maybe you can relate to us how the scriptures fall in line with mythology?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I would, too.
Of course you would.

Maybe you tried “Leviosa” like Diakonos did.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
How soon we forget.

Magic In The UPC.

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ighlight=mAGIC
That ain’t no joke.

Some people see it, others don’t.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
I read about C.S Lewis on a vlog from a former witch. They use the work of C.S Lewis to educate those that are beginning in the craft. You can believe it or not, I firmly believe the way he wrote, the style he used to try to “describe” God falls in line with paganism.

Maybe you can relate to us how the scriptures fall in line with mythology?
Not everything or everyone is what the internet claims as I showed previously.

Mike Warnke claimed to be a High Priest of a satanic coven.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:28 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Not everything or everyone is what the internet claims as I showed previously.

Mike Warnke claimed to be a High Priest of a satanic coven.

Its funny how when certain folks leave certain groups we see anything they say as "fruit of the poison tree" meaning everything they say is suspect...but when a pagan or witch starts making excuses as to what got them into whatever of lifestyle they are in, some of us are all too quick to laud their every word blindly and without discernment.

Its a bit worrisome to me and its triggering quite a bit of caution in my spirit because there can be a bit of transition period coming from that lifestyle to where you have strongholds that need to be broken that must be filtered with wisdom and the Spirit of Christ.

Dont just go lauding that mess blindly...