Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Timmy Talk

Keep up the good work Timmy! As for how many Gods there are, can you tabulate how many perceptions of God there are? I would say one for each person who has ever lived...
Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Murphy View Post
Keep up the good work Timmy! As for how many Gods there are, can you tabulate how many perceptions of God there are? I would say one for each person who has ever lived...
Sigh. Another fan. Where are all my detractors?!?!?

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Don't ask.

But that's an interesting question: how many concepts of God are there. Your estimate may be a biiiiit high, but not too far off!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Don't ask.

What You Believe -- Part 8

What You Believe
Part 8
You When God Told Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac, And Abraham Was Going To Do Just That In Obedience, Because He Loved God Even More Than He Loved Isaac? That Was Awesome! There Was Nothing Wrong With God Giving Abraham That Command (God Is God - He Can Give Any Orders He Wants.... Pretty Much), And There Was Nothing Wrong With Abraham Obeying It (Hey, Wouldn't You?), But Thank Goodness God Stopped Him Just In Time! That Was Cool!

At least I think you all believe that!

Why am I not surprised?

Last edited by Timmy; 10-05-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Don't ask.

Re: What You Believe -- Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
. . . There Was Nothing Wrong With God Giving Abraham That Command (God Is God - He Can Give Any Orders He Wants.... Pretty Much) . . .
Not sure about these days. At least some folks think God is limited now (or always was limited, I guess). E.g., He won't tell anyone to kill their children, anymore. He stopped doing that, apparently. And He would never lead someone (at least not a man) to go into a strip club. That would be "against His word", apparently. See: http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ad.php?t=26605. While you're there, could you answer the question in post 31? Seems like a simple question, but it's been there since 9/28 and has had no replies!

Why am I not surprised?

Last edited by Timmy; 10-05-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Don't ask.

Re: What You Believe -- Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
What You Believe
Part 8
You When God Told Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac, And Abraham Was Going To Do Just That In Obedience, Because He Loved God Even More Than He Loved Isaac? That Was Awesome! There Was Nothing Wrong With God Giving Abraham That Command (God Is God - He Can Give Any Orders He Wants.... Pretty Much), And There Was Nothing Wrong With Abraham Obeying It (Hey, Wouldn't You?), But Thank Goodness God Stopped Him Just In Time! That Was Cool!

At least I think you all believe that!
Eeew. Typo, and too late to edit. "You Know When God Told . . . " Sigh.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Don't ask.

Jephthah's Really Bad Luck

Time for a break. Might pick up the series again later. For now, consider:

Jephthah's Really Bad Luck

Please read Judges 11. Or let me summarize for you. After some squabbling with the king of Ammon, war could not be avoided. The general of the good guys was Jephthah. Now, maybe he wasn't thinking very clearly, but he made a deal with God:
If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
Sure enough, the Lord delivered those Ammonites into his hands. And, wouldn't ya know it?! Who's the first one out the door of Jeph's house to greet him? His daughter. His only child! I can only imagine what was going through his mind. "Oh man, what are the chances of that happening?!" Guess he was hoping for a lamb to greet him, or something. And maybe then he thought back to the story of Abraham and Isaac, expecting (hoping) that God would stop him, just like he stopped Abraham.

No such luck. Jephthah killed and burned his daughter, in offering to God.

God is strangely silent on the matter, but we might assume that He was pleased with this sacrifice to Him. But you know what really stinks? The poor guy didn't even make it to the faith hall of fame in Hebrews! (Not to mention, his story is hardly ever in Sunday School curricula! )

Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Don't ask.

Bump.

(Emma's pulling way ahead. Gotta do something! )

Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Don't ask.

New topic!

Hmmm. Not working. Time to break out the big guns: a new topic! (Sorry, Emma, I'm letting my competitive urge get the best of me! I'll repent later. ) Here ya go:

The Purpose(s) of Dress Standards

I'm confused. (As usual!) Why are there dress standards (for those who require them)? On the one hand, it seems that they serve the purpose of making you look different from "the world". OK, that's fine. I can see that you want some kind of distinction. It's nice to be recognized on the street as ... well, as one of you guys. And it pretty much does the job. (For ladies, at least. Less so for guys. )

I know that's not the only reason, but, well, you could do a lot better! How about animal costumes? Then you'd really stand out!

OK, another reason is gender distinction. Yes, you want to make sure that everyone that sees you knows your gender. Again, I can see some logic in that. I mean, you guys (e.g.) don't want other guys lusting after you by mistake. So sure, guys shouldn't be wearing miniskirts and heels! And ladies wearing pants? Well, that would be just.... Hold on a sec. This ties back to Reason #1. That says you don't want to look like "the world". But #2 says (among other things) that women should never wear pants. And why are pants forbidden? Because the world says women wear dresses! Defenders of this standard even point to restroom signs as proof!

Let's move on. Reason #3. Modesty. The more skin showing, the more lust there is, I suppose. That's all fine, but how much is too much? Is there room for personal preference? Does society's "standards" matter? Does the culture you live in matter? Is a bikini a sin in Florida but not in Tahiti?

And does it matter how attractive the person is? Can I, er I mean, can a guy (not saying who) with chalky white, vericose veiny legs wear shorts (as long as they're bifurcated, of course!), but a hunk on the Strength Team has to keep those sexy calves covered up? Can a wrinkled old lady wear a miniskirt?

And again, #3 and #2 have a bit of a conflict. The more modest you are (burkha modest, in the extreme), the less gender distinction there is. If you took modesty, in both genders, to the extreme, nobody could tell if you're a guy or a gal! But, at least you'd be OK with #1, being different! Oh, I know! Guys could wear blue burkhas and gals could wear red. Oops. Make that white, or something. Anything but red!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't ask.

Still way behind, 1,561 to 1,686. Emma? You been praying again?

Why am I not surprised?