Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

The Spirit Filled Life Bible

Anybody familiar with or using “The Spirit Filled Life Bible”?

It is a NKJV so reading it is pretty much the same as reading the old familiar KJV but without some of the “old English” terms. The editor in chief is Jack Hayford who is well-respected by many Christians. It is specifically geared to Charismatic/Pentecostal folks.

I used a Spirit Filled Life Bible (SFLB) in Bible Study groups for the last few years I worked at GE. Recently someone at church asked me which Bible I would recommend. I asked her what Bible she used and she said KJV. I recommended the SFLB. I use several versions of the Bible. A couple of weeks ago when I taught the midweek service I used my SFLB. The woman was there so afterward I handed her my SFLB and told her to take it home and see how she liked it. A few days later I saw her again. She handed me back my Bible and said she loved it. I asked her if she was planning on being in Church the following Wednesday and when she said she would I told her I would bring her a SFLB. I had felt led to purchase a new one for her. The new one is called the New SFLB. I’m not sure what all has changed but I noticed there are some newer names listed as contributors in the notes. That Wednesday I used the New SFLB in my teaching and after the service, I gave it to her.

I don’t use the SFLB a whole lot. I was just wondering if anyone here uses it, and, if so, what they think of it.

These are a couple of reviews/advertisements/comments I have seen about the SFLB:

Dr. Jack Hayford, founding pastor of The Church on the Way, has led a team of anointed leaders to produce the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, which offers a fresh look at the Scriptures and the work of the Holy Spirit. Now, this dynamic Bible is available in two contemporary new styles, both with durable, smooth-textured Leathersoft material. This new edition addresses important issues of Spirit-filled living in the context of solid biblical scholarship. Readers will be glad to see the popular "Word Wealth" feature and the "Kingdom Dynamics" feature throughout the Bible.? A new generation of believers seeking to become biblically equipped for kingdom building will eagerly read and embrace the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible
----------------------

I have been asked several times lately what I recommend for a study Bible. The answer is quick and simple. The New Spirit-Filled Life Bible New King James Version is the best study Bible I have ever used yet.

I have used many different study Bibles including the Schofield Study Bible and a couple of Life Application Study Bibles in both the New International Version (NIV) and the New Living Translation (NLT). The New Spirit-Filled Life Bible was my first copy of a NKJV of the Bible. I have not completed reading through it entirely yet, but it has already provided me with revelation on God’s word like I have never experienced. I am about halfway through my yearly reading plan using the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible and I usually don’t leave home without a copy this study Bible or the student version of it. I have purchased the Spirit-Filled Life Student Bible that usually stays in my car. This is a hardcover edition that is geared a little more to a new Christian. I like this edition because it contains most of the same reference tools like Kingdom Dynamics and Word Wealth. It also contains a section in the front called Life Lights that concludes with three different example plans for sharing Jesus with others. You simple go to the first verse in one of the plans and there you will find a Life Lights box right next to that scripture to help you communicate what this verse is saying in reference to salvation. The informational box will leave you with instructions on where to go next in that particular plan.
This Study Bible is a must have for anyone seeking to know and understand what God is doing through the power of the Holy Spirit today.
--------------------------------------

The Spirit Filled Life Bible has become the standard for balanced scholarship in the Charismatic/Pentecostal tradition, and now it comes in three unique formats to meet your particular needs. It features Kingdom Dynamics, Word Wealth, Truth-in-Action Charts, and many more, all in a handy size. And for the high school and college age believer, the Spirit-Filled Life Bible for Students leads you to a closer walk with Christ.
--------------------------

For more than a decade, Spirit-Filled Life Bibles and study materials have been the trustworthy standard for millions of believers. Executive Editor, Jack W. Hayford, led a team of new contributors to release new content, Kingdom dynamics, charts, and articles all celebrating the modern-day work of the Holy Spirit in The New Spirit-Filled Bible.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Re: The Spirit Filled Life Bible

I'm not familiar with this version but I do have several versions at home.

If for no other reason, it helps to understand some of the archaic terms of KJV. I like to look up a scripture and use 4 versions for clarity.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 07-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

I have seen them but have not purchased one yet.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I believe the Gospel of Jesus

Sam, Have you had anybody accusing you of trying to change scripture? Aren't you just trying to make it say what you want it to say, by using all those different versions??

I've been accused of that several times.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Accepts all friends requests

I got one when it first came out - Thomas Nelson, right? But then I was in the "trade" back then and building a collection.

For me, the best all-round most useful Bible tool has been simply The Treasury of Scriptual Knowledge (TSK in your E-Sword). I believe it was originally compiled by R.A. Torrey - a notorious "Trinnie," but what are ya gonna do?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
I believe it was originally compiled by R.A. Torrey - a notorious "Trinnie," but what are ya gonna do?
Along with 95% of Biblical scholars......

- Groucho Marx
Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro-Larry View Post
Sam, Have you had anybody accusing you of trying to change scripture? Aren't you just trying to make it say what you want it to say, by using all those different versions??

I've been accused of that several times.
Well, I don't go searching through all those Bibles until I find one that agrees with me. I believe the originals were God-breathed but we do not have the originals any more. Experts have gone through old manuscripts and have researched old quotes from manuscripts no longer available to try and ascertain how the originals read. People have translated from what they think reflects the originals. I'm sure some have had a personal agenda and a private bias as they have translated so that may have colored their translation. I compare versions to try and determine how the originals may have read.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

I have one but rarely use it. I did not realize that Hayford was the editor. I actually met him in a restaurant. He was very friendly but seemed a little put off with me because I had never heard of him before. Since then I have heard him preach several times. One concern I would have is that I have heard from a couple of sources that he is ecomenical.

And speaking of that, I heard the UPC endorsed the ecumenical movement. Do you know if that is true.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Well, I don't go searching through all those Bibles until I find one that agrees with me. I believe the originals were God-breathed but we do not have the originals any more. Experts have gone through old manuscripts and have researched old quotes from manuscripts no longer available to try and ascertain how the originals read. People have translated from what they think reflects the originals. I'm sure some have had a personal agenda and a private bias as they have translated so that may have colored their translation. I compare versions to try and determine how the originals may have read.
The manuscript evidence for the Scriptures is overwhelming. It is THE best attested ancient document. I believe that we can get back to the originals and in the small number of areas of disagreement no essential doctrine is done away with.

- Groucho Marx
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Cross-examine it!

As far as translation go I am a big fan of the New Living Translation.