Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-27-2020, 11:01 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Have you ever lost confidence in leadership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Hair down is considered immodest to some, the bedroom look.
And some churches believe hair up is improper and violates 1 Cor 11.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-27-2020, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
After consideration, it's not complicated. My husband thinks I'm attractive, and tells me so all the time.
I’m glad your husband finds you attractive. I’m sure that’s the case

However my question is:
Has he been asked his opinion about the issue?

Or not?

Sister? Did the pastor include your husband in the meeting?
Old 10-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Sister, regarding the search for truth, I think is correct to not teach what you don’t agree with and also not teach something your congregation doesn’t believe as a whole. For ethical reasons you should limit yourself to teach what you and your congregation as a whole agrees upon. You should also tell your congregation pastor about your differences and that you will focus only on the common things. I think most UPCI pastors won’t freak out as long as you believe in a future tribulation, the physical return of Christ, and the bodily resurrection of the dead.

Regarding the hairdo, some people, especially older ones, may consider the hair down as immodest. In fact, IIRC, some early centuries churches practiced it. I would obey the pastor of your congregation. You want to be in good standing in front of your congregation in a spirit of meekness. Is it an excessive burden?
There is also the possibility of going to another church in the area if things get too hostile for you.
Here, I remember where that was:

Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor Book 3:
It is enough for women to protect their locks, and bind up their hair simply along the neck with a plain hair-pin, nourishing chaste locks with simple care to true beauty.
That's not authoritative, but just an example that some used to wear it up because of a teaching.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Here, I remember where that was:

Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor Book 3:
It is enough for women to protect their locks, and bind up their hair simply along the neck with a plain hair-pin, nourishing chaste locks with simple care to true beauty.
That's not authoritative, but just an example that some used to wear it up because of a teaching.
Along the neck is not on top of the head.

Moreover, back then they all believed women were to wear headcoverings, like Paul taught.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Along the neck is not on top of the head.

Moreover, back then they all believed women were to wear headcoverings, like Paul taught.
Yeah "up" I mean not down. And yes, they used to wear headcoverings too. I don't criticize those that do want to. I do think it is wrong for a woman to cut her hair, even if headcovering is practiced. But that's a topic for another thread .
Old 10-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
If he is teaching that, even on a one-to-one basis, and the congregation as a whole is practicing it, I think it is best to adopt the practice in meekness. You want to have a good standing in front of your congregation.
That being said, the pastor's argumentation was kind of weak, but nevertheless the meekness and good standing to the congregation still applies in my opinion.

That's why I shave my face as a preacher and I show up in a suit. The practice is not making me sin, and it is not an excessive burden. The argument for it has some weak points in our culture, but I still adopt it because my congregation expects it from me.

Just my opinion.
I agree. After thinking about it, our main topic was outreach/home bible studies, and I now think he mentioned it in that light because I will be representing the church.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
And some churches believe hair up is improper and violates 1 Cor 11.
So many subjective views added to the text.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:23 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Try added to the entire Bible.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:24 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/...ntecostal.html

Hair Culture Among Southern Apostolic Women

"In my own personal observations, I have noticed that the greater variety in hairstyling is usually seen in younger, unmarried women, whereas, married women or women with children, tend to wear more sober or simple hairdos, though there are always exceptions! These variations, like Sandi Davis hinted, are correlated to practicality. A young, childless woman typically has more time to dedicate to her appearance, especially on a Sunday morning, for example, if she does not have children to dress and feed. On the other hand, a woman who is married and/or has children might have less time to care for her appearance when confronted with more pressing matters like feeding her children. One can also imagine that many young, single women feel more pressed to appear attractive to the opposite sex in a society that places much emphasis on the importance of marrying within the faith-based community and therefore, take more care with their hairstyles.

It was noted that the Disney film Frozen has inspired many women to experiment with waterfall braids and to incorporate braids more into their hairstyling. Again, we see how the modern popular culture influences the hairstyling techniques of even generational Apostolic Pentecostal women like the Zeiglers and myself."

Old 10-27-2020, 11:26 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
That is the history of religion. As a result, if you try to just stick to the text, you generally don't fit in anywhere.