Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Wisdom and ideas, please

We have decided to try going to just one service on Sundays for awhile, expanding our morning service and also our Wednesday night service.

How many of you attend a church where there is only one Sunday service, and what is your feeling towards it?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

We do it and love it. Just know that once you go to one, you will never get the evening back. You might get a few, but never what you have now. I say this only because you said you would do it for awhile.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

It was clear to me once I saw the avatar some time ago where you had bushy facial hair that you were on the road to compromise.

This confirms that. What a shame. How dare you violate the biblical principles set down for two services on Sunday....er.....wait, never mind.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
It was clear to me once I saw the avatar some time ago where you had bushy facial hair that you were on the road to compromise.

This confirms that. What a shame. How dare you violate the biblical principles set down for two services on Sunday....er.....wait, never mind.
Awwww, go ride your bike. Looking for wisdom and ideas here, not jokes from someone who won't even meet you when you come to visit their church!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Bro, in the seven years we have been in Staunton we have only had Sunday evening services for Holiday events. If you are a bi-vocational pastor, I highly recommend you do the same.

Preparing three to four sermons a week while working a 45-50 hour a week secular job is killer.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
We have decided to try going to just one service on Sundays for awhile, expanding our morning service and also our Wednesday night service.

How many of you attend a church where there is only one Sunday service, and what is your feeling towards it?
I attend a church where there's only one Sunday Service. I spend more time at the church now than I did before when I was going to a church that had both morning and night services on Sunday.

We have drama team practice at 11am so hubby has to be there a little before they start practice to operate the sound system for them, we have leadership meetings some days, pre service prayer every service, some days I work in the church library from 11:30 till 1pm. Sunday School starts at 1pm... Worship service begins somewhere between 2:00 and 2:15 because they allow a short break in between for going around and making visitors feel welcome and letting the kids go to the bathrooms. Worship service is rarely over before 3:30-- and most days will run closer to 4pm. Then sometimes there are other things that we do on Sunday evenings, like visiting nursing homes, etc.

We have prayer meeting & choir practice on Tuesday nights... Mid week service & kidzchurch on Wednesday nights.

There's always something extra going on that people can be involved in if they are able to do so.. like Friday morning outreach where people go out into the community and visit with senior citizens, people who are disabled and not able to get out to church.

Sorry for rambling so much.. but yes, I really like things the way they are now with just one Sunday Service.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Bro, in the seven years we have been in Staunton we have only had Sunday evening services for Holiday events. If you are a bi-vocational pastor, I highly recommend you do the same.

Preparing three to four sermons a week while working a 45-50 hour a week secular job is killer.
This I agree with.

But I almost feel like I am letting the church down.

We had discussed this last year, but didn't do it. A couple of factors have come together to make it more viable now.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

I have friends who attend one service on Sunday.

The teaching is from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm and for the Sunday School classes. Then there is a 15 minute break.

Worship service is from 2:45 pm til 3:30 pm and all are in the auditorium, other than the very young children.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Awwww, go ride your bike. Looking for wisdom and ideas here, not jokes from someone who won't even meet you when you come to visit their church!

As I recall you didn't even tell me you had visited my church until AFTER the fact!!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Quote:
This I agree with.

But I almost feel like I am letting the church down.

We had discussed this last year, but didn't do it. A couple of factors have come together to make it more viable now.
Brother don't feel condemned you do what you feel you should do in your situation.