Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Re: Hard Hitting Praise Tonight Misty Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiding Now View Post
Hang on, this could be a long wait.
I'm not holding my breath.

"Found in Genesis and shows up in Revelation." I guess Noah and John were channeling their inner divine selves when building the ark and seeing the New Jerusalem.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
God's Son

N David presented a very misleading and inaccurate description of contemplative prayer.

Charles Finney, A.W. Tozer, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley speak of the benefits contemplative prayer.

Greg Boyd uses 2 Corinthians 3:14-16 as the foundation to support contemplative prayer. Paul encourages contemplative prayer in Romans 12:2 and other scriptures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
As promoted by IHOPKC, John Piper, Beth Moore and others... it tries blending catholic mysticism and new age meditation with prayer.

The roots of this are based in Zen Buddhism, not scripture. The one's who promote this false doctrine try using Psalms 46:10 as their only scriptural basis: "Be still, and know that I am God;" however, that one line they use is completely taken out of context and misapplied.

Contemplative/Centering prayer was never taught by Jesus or His disciples. It was formed by Catholics and Buddhists as a way to find common ground between the religions.

The practice focuses on "breathing" or chanting a "sacred word," and focusing towards your inner divine self.

Where is this taught in the Bible? Inner divine self? The whole premise and point of contemplative/centering prayer is focusing on your inner divine self, which is completely contrary to scripture.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 AM
God's Son

What makes Boyd's false teaching different than your false teaching? Are you going to reference Dave Bernard or Lee Stoneking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I've already attacked the message. What's interesting is that you would use the opinion of a false teacher like Greg Boyd to try and help your defense of contemplative/centering prayer. What's next, you going to ask me to read something from Rob Bell?

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
What makes Boyd's false teaching different than your false teaching? Are you going to reference Dave Bernard or Lee Stoneking?
That would be difficult, since I don't promote most of what Stoneking or Bernard teach. Good try though.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM
God's Son

N David showed ignorance on the subject. Contemplative prayer is not mindless chants. Contemplative prayer is sanctifying the imagination to allow God's spirit to be more than an shallow emotional experience.

King David mastered the art of contemplative prayer. Many of his writings are the result of times of meditation and contemplative prayer. David was a man after God's heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Clearly it is going to be strictly whatever n david thinks it should be! I betcha he can also let us know which folks have the baptism of the REAL Holy Ghost and which have the COUNTERFEIT. LOL!!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
N David presented a very misleading and inaccurate description of contemplative prayer.
Many of my quotes are taken from actual websites promoting contemplative prayer. The quotes of divine inner self is straight from a contemplative/centering prayer website. It's not inaccurate, it's not misleading.

Quote:
Greg Boyd uses 2 Corinthians 3:14-16 as the foundation to support contemplative prayer. Paul encourages contemplative prayer in Romans 12:2 and other scriptures.
2 Corinthians isn't about prayer, contemplative or otherwise.

Romans 12:2 is not about contemplative prayer.

Quote:
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Talk about misleading and inaccurate - they're twisting scripture to suggest "the renewing of your mind" has anything to do with contemplative/centering prayer.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Don't ask.

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
N David showed ignorance on the subject. Contemplative prayer is not mindless chants. Contemplative prayer is sanctifying the imagination to allow God's spirit to be more than an shallow emotional experience.
Contemplative prayer focuses on the inner divine self. That's from a contemplative website. It removes God from the equation by saying a "sacred word" and repeating that "sacred word" over and over while viewing your inner divine self.

Quote:
King David mastered the art of contemplative prayer. Many of his writings are the result of times of meditation and contemplative prayer. David was a man after God's heart.
From a contemplative prayer website:

Quote:
TASK – If you have not previously practiced Centering Prayer, take a quiet moment to allow a sacred word to emerge in your heart, then sit in silence using your word to express your intention let go of all thoughts as they arise.
This is NOT what David did.

Quote:
Throughout your day find moments when you can pause and observe the flow of lectio divina “moving from mind to feeling to stillness and back again.” Observe how this opens you to a “deepening interiority.”
Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening by Cynthia Bourgeault:

"In Centering Prayer, then, we leave the cataphatic world and step completely into the apophatic ground, on its own terms. Both the challenge and the opportunity, from the point of view of ordinary consciousness, is to yield ourselves fully into the embrace of the silence rather than 'using' the silence to shore up the projects and goals of our ordinary awareness."

Do you really believe David was a believer of Apophatic Theology?

Apophatic theology: "is a theology that attempts to describe God, the Divine Good, by negation, to speak only in terms of what may not be said about the perfect goodness that is God."

"The apophatic tradition is often, though not always, allied with the approach of mysticism, which focuses on a spontaneous or cultivated individual experience of the divine reality beyond the realm of ordinary perception, an experience often unmediated by the structures of traditional organized religion or the conditioned role-playing and learned defensive behavior of the outer man."

John Scotus Erigena: "We do not know what God is. God Himself does not know what He is because He is not anything. Literally God is not, because He transcends being."

I also find it hard to see David sitting with the sheep, chanting the welcoming prayer.

This welcoming prayer centers on "energy centers" inside of us: affection/esteem, control/power, and safety/security.

Here's part of Thomas Keating's writing on this:

Quote:
First, we must find ways to increase our awareness of what is happening within us in response to the stimuli that come to us from the world around us and from our fellow creatures. Second, when we are aware of reactions and mixed motivations, we need a way to remind ourselves of our purest intention and to return to it in our actions.
This is opposed to what David actually wrote. Here you have Keating telling you to look within yourself and think of your purest intentions.

I believe the Bible had something to say about that, and it's not in support of this false doctrine.

Last edited by n david; 01-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:

Charles Finney, A.W. Tozer, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley speak of the benefits contemplative prayer.

im not gonna dragged into the deep end of the pool but if Greg used 2 Cor to support Contemplative prayer then I would like to see what other contortionist tricks he can put scripture thru... thats just wierd.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Hmmmm.........contemplative prayer?.........2 Corinthians 3:14-16?.......nope not there.

2 Corinthians 3:14-16

King James Version (KJV)

14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.