Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Any Horticulturists on Board?

My question concerns the annoying droppings of the trees in my yard.

Sweet Gum Tree is the culprit. My daughter calls them spikely balls.

Soft Maple is culprit #2. It gives off what I call little helicopters.

During the flowering stage (sweet gum) approx. 2 week period you can pay $100 - $200 to have it sprayed to decrease the amt. of balls that come off. It really only eliminates a portion of what is sprayed.

Does anybody know of a cheaper fix to the problem? The tree is beautiful and full grown but I can't hardly take the balls anymore. They are affecting not only my yard but the neighbors also.

Patiently waiting with axe in hand.

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Well my view is that it isn't a problem to be fixed... it is a natural function of the tree.

I am not a big fan of "curing" a process the Good Lord put into action.

But... all that aside... I have no idea what you can do.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Formerly known as CareyM

I don't think there's much you can do...some trees are just messy and the only thing you can do is clean up after them or replace them with an evergreen.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:56 AM
The Antagonist

I am not a Horticulturist any more than I am a botanist, but I have interest in both studies. I will give it a shot.

This is not the time of year for a Sweet-gum tree to be producing their fruit, the balls. If there are any balls on the tree, they are left over from last year's production. The ones on the ground simply have not been raked up yet. They are indeed quite annoying, especially if you are walking on them barefooted.

Spraying growth inhibitors on them only slightly retard production, but not much. It is generally a waste of money.

There is no remedy except to cut the tree down. I would not advise that since a Sweet-gum is a great shade tree.

The little helicopters are the pollen from the Maple. There is no remedy for that either.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Well my view is that it isn't a problem to be fixed... it is a natural function of the tree.

I am not a big fan of "curing" a process the Good Lord put into action.

But... all that aside... I have no idea what you can do.
Not meant to offend anyone from the "Green Party"

There must be something to it as the local nurseries are offering an EXPENSIVE solution. I will have to remove at least 20 lawn and garden bags this season. When you mow they fire off every which way. And to little feet they are a sprained ankle waiting to happen.

Maybe the good Lord would have rather those trees be planted in non residential areas?

Bob Barker
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Antagonist View Post
I am not a Horticulturist any more than I am a botanist, but I have interest in both studies. I will give it a shot.

This is not the time of year for a Sweet-gum tree to be producing their fruit, the balls. If there are any balls on the tree, they are left over from last year's production. The ones on the ground simply have not been raked up yet. They are indeed quite annoying, especially if you are walking on them barefooted.

Spraying growth inhibitors on them only slightly retard production, but not much. It is generally a waste of money.

There is no remedy except to cut the tree down. I would not advise that since a Sweet-gum is a great shade tree.

The little helicopters are the pollen from the Maple. There is no remedy for that either.
I have also been told of an injection. Have any knowledge there?

Bob Barker
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless View Post
Not meant to offend anyone from the "Green Party"

There must be something to it as the local nurseries are offering an EXPENSIVE solution. I will have to remove at least 20 lawn and garden bags this season. When you mow they fire off every which way. And to little feet they are a sprained ankle waiting to happen.

Maybe the good Lord would have rather those trees be planted in non residential areas?
LOL.... Funny.

Yeah I have experienced the sweet gum bazooka effect before.... with a push mower even.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
LOL.... Funny.

Yeah I have experienced the sweet gum bazooka effect before.... with a push mower even.
the bakooka effect is a perfect description. Man them thngs can fire off. I've tagged the car a few times. I move it now before I mow.

Bob Barker
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM
The Antagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless View Post
I have also been told of an injection. Have any knowledge there?
Systemic tree injection is used broadly for many applications including those who maintain of right-of-ways for power companies and other easement utilities. Growth inhibitors are injected into the xylem of the tree to slow the growth of the tree to cut down on the frequency of maintenance by rapidly growing trees. Like spraying systemic growth inhibiting hormones onto leaves, it is only minimumly effect against fruit production. There are many other applications for tree injection also. For the control of SG balls, it is also a waste of money. There are those that love to sell the stuff at a very high price. I do not recommend that you waste your money.

Rake up the balls, you need the exercise.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Antagonist View Post
Systemic tree injection is used broadly for many applications including those who maintain of right-of-ways for power companies and other easement utilities. Growth inhibitors are injected into the xylem of the tree to slow the growth of the tree to cut down on the frequency of maintenance by rapidly growing trees. Like spraying systemic growth inhibiting hormones onto leaves, it is only minimumly effect against fruit production. There are many other applications for tree injection also. For the control of SG balls, it is also a waste of money. There are those that love to sell the stuff at a very high price. I do not recommend that you waste your money.

Rake up the balls, you need the exercise.