Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Favorite Christian Songs

What's some of your favorite Christian songs? New ones, old ones, contemporary, Southern Gospel, etc.

Let's get this thread a-going.

Right now, I'm really hung on "You Can't Be a Beacon (If Your Light Don't Shine)".
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Banned

Re: Favorite Christian Songs

"Like A Prayer" by the mother of god will always be, you know... one of those songs...
Old 07-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBukaroo View Post
"Like A Prayer" by the mother of god will always be, you know... one of those songs...
I don't believe I've heard of that one, or not a gospel song by that name at least.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
I don't believe I've heard of that one, or not a gospel song by that name at least.
You should look it up. Has a video and everything that goes along with the song. It came out in the 80's and it was very popular at the time!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Seriously. Madonna? The thread is asking about favorite Christian songs. Not sacrilegious trash sung by a harlot.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Seriously. Madonna? The thread is asking about favorite Christian songs. Not sacrilegious trash sung by a harlot.
Ok. So I want to be careful to ensure that I am not construed as endorsing Madonna as a role model for Apostolic young ladies.

I remember that song. I remember the hoopla and scandal surrounding that song. I remember the video that included a gospel choir and the young black lady laying her hands on Madonna as she "prayed" for her. I remember all that. What I never understood as to why it was considered sacrilegious.

Also, she is a married woman, probably not a harlot-- even if she is an unsaved married woman...
Old 07-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok. So I want to be careful to ensure that I am not construed as endorsing Madonna as a role model for Apostolic young ladies.

I remember that song. I remember the hoopla and scandal surrounding that song. I remember the video that included a gospel choir and the young black lady laying her hands on Madonna as she "prayed" for her. I remember all that. What I never understood as to why it was considered sacrilegious.

Also, she is a married woman, probably not a harlot-- even if she is an unsaved married woman...
She may be married now, but at the time that song was popular in the 80s, she was an outspoken, loud and proud harlot.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
What's some of your favorite Christian songs? New ones, old ones, contemporary, Southern Gospel, etc.

Let's get this thread a-going.

Right now, I'm really hung on "You Can't Be a Beacon (If Your Light Don't Shine)".
I like old hymns. I especially like old hymns set to new, fresh, melodies.

I like metrical psalms as long as the psalm tune used is a decent one that fits the psalm.

I like all those "pentecostal praise songs" that never seem to be in any song books (When I Think Of The Goodness Of Jesus, There's a Feeling In The Air, I will Praise Thee, Jesus On The Mainline, Glory Glory Glory (Somebody Touched Me), Wrapped Up Tied Up Tangled Up In Jesus, Gimme Faith, etc).

I like Oneness theological songs: One One One Way to God, Did You Get It Like The Bible Says, All In Him, Thank God For The Blood, Baptised Into The Body, The Water Way, etc.

I don't care for most "contemporary" music, and I don't care for the whole Southern Gospel barbershop quartet sound. Although I DO like the Kingsmen. I like several Dottie Rambo songs as long as they aren't being performed by her.

Believe it or not, I like Byzantine chant and some Gregorian chant, as long as they are of psalms, or hymns that aren't blatant Mariolatry or trinity worship. One of my favorites is the Evlogitaria for the Dead (I try to ignore when they toss in their trinitarian doxology at the end).

I like Gaelic psalmsinging even though I can't understand anything they're saying.

I like old "lined hymns" or "Dr Watt's" hymns, aka "the Deacon Hymn" as well.

I generally prefer Southern or Appalachian hymn singing, Sacred Heart singing, old time church music, etc.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I like old hymns. I especially like old hymns set to new, fresh, melodies.

I like metrical psalms as long as the psalm tune used is a decent one that fits the psalm.

I like all those "pentecostal praise songs" that never seem to be in any song books (When I Think Of The Goodness Of Jesus, There's a Feeling In The Air, I will Praise Thee, Jesus On The Mainline, Glory Glory Glory (Somebody Touched Me), Wrapped Up Tied Up Tangled Up In Jesus, Gimme Faith, etc).

I like Oneness theological songs: One One One Way to God, Did You Get It Like The Bible Says, All In Him, Thank God For The Blood, Baptised Into The Body, The Water Way, etc.

I don't care for most "contemporary" music, and I don't care for the whole Southern Gospel barbershop quartet sound. Although I DO like the Kingsmen. I like several Dottie Rambo songs as long as they aren't being performed by her.

Believe it or not, I like Byzantine chant and some Gregorian chant, as long as they are of psalms, or hymns that aren't blatant Mariolatry or trinity worship. One of my favorites is the Evlogitaria for the Dead (I try to ignore when they toss in their trinitarian doxology at the end).

I like Gaelic psalmsinging even though I can't understand anything they're saying.

I like old "lined hymns" or "Dr Watt's" hymns, aka "the Deacon Hymn" as well.

I generally prefer Southern or Appalachian hymn singing, Sacred Heart singing, old time church music, etc.
I like many of the ones you have mentioned. And you don't care for Dottie Rambo's singing?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
I like many of the ones you have mentioned. And you don't care for Dottie Rambo's singing?
Dottie Rambo's music, as recorded by her, is more of a pop southern country gospel type. But when churches sing her songs, they usually sound much better. I didn't mean to imply her singing itself was bad.

Compare these two versions of her song Weary Pilgrim: