Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 10-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

The Air Force forces Gay Marriage affirmation

link
https://www.toddstarnes.com/column/a...m-gay-marriage
snippets
The Air Force has punished a highly-decorated and respected colonel after he refused to publicly affirm the same-sex spouse of a retiring subordinate.
Col. Leland Bohannon, who was on the verge of being promoted to a one-star general, was suspended from command and orders were handed down recommending he not be promoted.
“His career is likely over and he will likely have to retire as a colonel instead of as a general,” First Liberty Institute attorney Michael Berry told the Todd Starnes Show.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Re: The Air Force forces Gay Marriage affirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
link
snippets
The Air Force has punished a highly-decorated and respected colonel after he refused to publicly affirm the same-sex spouse of a retiring subordinate.
Col. Leland Bohannon, who was on the verge of being promoted to a one-star general, was suspended from command and orders were handed down recommending he not be promoted.
“His career is likely over and he will likely have to retire as a colonel instead of as a general,” First Liberty Institute attorney Michael Berry told the Todd Starnes Show.

I am not to quick to blame the Air Force on this.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

JD - any reason why?
I mean why would someone about to go to one-star take this stand.
He knew what it could cost him, but did take a stand.
The big picture here is more important to me.
According to the liberal mantra, Christians can no longer have their own business (because they cannot decide not to provide a service to LGBTQXYZ), now they cannot serve in the military and next is they will not be able to work in the corporate world (because these businesses will be making you affirm that community, as well).
Do you doubt the big picture of what is coming down the road?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
link
snippets
What if the Colonel only showed up to the wedding and took a knee? lol

I mean, didn't you argue on the other thread that Kaepernick shouldn't have a right to protest while on the job? But this Colonel protests his disagreement with this gay couple while on duty and you support him.

I'm not getting it. What's the difference between the two men and their protest?

Personally, I support Kaepernick and Col. Bohannon's right to protest through peaceful refusal. Why should either face disciplinary action when they are both American citizens and have the right to refuse to participate in a ceremony to illustrate their convictions?

Last edited by Aquila; 10-23-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
What if the Colonel only showed up to the wedding and took a knee? lol

I mean, didn't you argue on the other thread that Kaepernick shouldn't have a right to protest while on the job? But this Colonel protests his disagreement with this gay couple while on duty and you support him.

I'm not getting it. What's the difference between the two men and their protest?

Personally, I support Kaepernick and Col. Bohannon's right to protest through peaceful refusal. Why should either face disciplinary action when they are both American citizens and have the right to refuse to participate in a ceremony to illustrate their convictions?
Aquila, I'd like to think you're smarter than this, but I've been wrong before.

EEOC:
"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, protects applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), or national origin. Religious discrimination includes failing to reasonably accommodate an employee’s religious practices where the accommodation does not impose undue hardship."

The Colonel's actions are protected by law. Kap's are not.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Aquila, I'd like to think you're smarter than this, but I've been wrong before.

EEOC:
"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, protects applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), or national origin. Religious discrimination includes failing to reasonably accommodate an employee’s religious practices where the accommodation does not impose undue hardship."

The Colonel's actions are protected by law. Kap's are not.
The Colonel's actions are based on his faith. Aren't Kap's based on his race?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The Colonel's actions are based on his faith. Aren't Kap's based on his race?
No. They're based on his political agenda. The law protects against Kap being discriminated against because of his race, it doesn't allow him to use his race for political protests.

Last edited by n david; 10-23-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
No. They're based on his political agenda. The law protects against Kap being discriminated against because of his race, it doesn't allow him to use his race for political protests.
I think we can agree there.

How can we be sure the Colonel isn't using his religion as a front for his own political agenda?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think we can agree there.

How can we be sure the Colonel isn't using his religion as a front for his own political agenda?
The thought process of the liberal. smh Religious convictions are just agendas. They can't imagine a person actually has spiritual convictions.

The Colonel has a spiritual and religious conviction which kept him from personally signing a document to honor a same sex spouse. It's not an agenda. It's a conviction. As a believer you should know the difference.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
The thought process of the liberal. smh Religious convictions are just agendas. They can't imagine a person actually has spiritual convictions.

The Colonel has a spiritual and religious conviction which kept him from personally signing a document to honor a same sex spouse. It's not an agenda. It's a conviction. As a believer you should know the difference.
I've watched as Christianity by and large has become nothing more but a right wing political action committee for the GOP dressed up in Christian garb. That's why we rarely see any outrage against the evils of the GOP within our ranks. They could carpet bomb a nation that has done virtually nothing to us, and you won't hear a peep out of most churches. I find that disturbing.

No church will accept me into their fellowship because I'm not a Republican. Nor do I allow them to force feed me the agenda of the GOP from the pulpit in sermons. I'll stand, interrupt, and call attention to the idolatry. And the liberal churches around me won't accept me into their ranks either. Why? Because I don't like to hear sermons that bless the agenda of the DNC from their pulpits either. I've yet to find anything but house churches that focus entirely on Jesus. Maybe it's because they are more open for discussion and they know they can't cram that stuff down our throats.

How many times have you thrown the word "liberal" around at me, like it's a bad word? You're a well trained follower, I'll give you that.

But as for being called a "liberal"... I'll have to quote President Kennedy:
“If by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a 'Liberal', then I'm proud to say I'm a 'Liberal'.” ~ John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage

Last edited by Aquila; 10-23-2017 at 02:09 PM.