Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-28-2019, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: Thoughts on what brings God's blessings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
We have a tabernacle... reserved in heaven...

Yet, we have to run the race and win the crown. If by any means I may attain the resurrection... not as though I had already attained... etc.

So God blessing us with all spiritual blessings in Christ means simply all our blessings come through Christ. We have them because we are in Christ, that is they cannot be had outside of Christ. We have been given eternal life, but we have to overcome to inherit it.

So we have everything, in potential. The actual enjoyment of these things is predicated on certain things, including our actions. Ye have not because ye ask not. Thus, asking is an action we do that results in receiving. Having is not automatic due to being in Christ.
Treasures are hidden in Christ. We have to dig for them. But he earned them, and earning them is what I am asking about.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Put away isn't about location but status. Sin isn't an object, it's an action and a legal classification or status or condition.

Israel's corporate sin has been put away. All who have been grafted in via the new covenant likewise have their sins washed away. But if one sins, or apostasizes, or falls from grace, etc, they reject the atonement and bear their own sin.

Does one have to get to a place of sinless perfection to make it in?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How does James 1:25 fit in?
Good verse!

It's something about loving God with our whole hearts and doing deeds from that standpoint that He blesses. But are we earning blessings?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 11-28-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
That is not the same thing as putting the money in the bank, though. It's like Acts 2:38. It's not a work for salvation, but simply applying Christ's work that saves to us. We access all the blessings afforded by the cross through obedience, but the obedience does not afford them. Jesus earned them all. It's a question of earning blessings.
Quote:
Treasures are hidden in Christ. We have to dig for them. But he earned them, and earning them is what I am asking about.
Quote:
Good verse!

It's something about loving God with our whole hearts and doing deeds from that standpoint that He blesses. But are we earning blessings?
Although I think the term "earn" is still slightly problematic, I don't want to split hairs. We can certainly agree Christ earned, merited, or secured all good things for us, while acknowledging we do have to put forward some efforts of some kind to see those blessings manifested in our lives. I like the analogy you have about digging for the treasures. I think that is pretty spot on.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-28-2019, 11:06 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Does one have to get to a place of sinless perfection to make it in?
Can you enter into life with your hand, foot, or eye causing you to offend?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-29-2019, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you think the verse your relating to was intended for personal or was Jesus talking about the body of Christ, i.e the Church. Paul said we’re many members yet one body, sometimes it’s necessary to cut off members for the body to be saved. Not trying to get off on another topic, just came to my mind when I read your reply.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:56 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
Do you think the verse your relating to was intended for personal or was Jesus talking about the body of Christ, i.e the Church. Paul said we’re many members yet one body, sometimes it’s necessary to cut off members for the body to be saved. Not trying to get off on another topic, just came to my mind when I read your reply.
The church itself isn't facing the possibility of being cast into gehenna. The singular pronoun is used. Therefore, I conclude Jesus was speaking of the individual, and His meaning is we must get rid of anything - however dear to us - that would cause us to sin.

The pattern does, however, apply somewhat to the church. The church is to remove those causing offence (causing people to sin) - see the seven letters to the churches in Rev 2-3, the issue with the fornicator in 1 Corinthians, etc.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is that a no to my question?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:16 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Is that a no to my question?
I'm asking what do you think? What do you think about that teaching of Jesus? How does it apply to the discussion, to the question you asked?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If Jesus put away sin by the sacrifice of himself, as it says in the book of Hebrew, is there anything that bring it back?
Hebrews 9:25-28.. Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; ..(26).. For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. ..(27).. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: ..(28).. So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The context is law versus grace, and how law had to annually deal with sin on the day of atonement, with the high priest entering the holiest every year, but Christ did it once and for all and entered into heaven ONCE.

I believe this applies to each individual in the sense that when we come to God, God applies the single offering for sin in Christ to our sins, and puts them away. We can sin after that, but when we repent and ask forgiveness, the blood of Jesus that was shed at the one single sacrifice is again applied. It's a matter of how many times must Christ die for our sins, and the answer is once. And each time we sin, we do not need to see Christ die again, but we go to the single time when He did. His single offering for covers every problem forevermore. I do not think it is saying that he put away sin once and for all so that there is no sin ever afterward.

Does that address your issue?