Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Question primarily for pastors

Let's say there was a family in your church that was really struggling with basics like keeping the lights on and buying gasoline. They have one car and miss about every other Wednesday night simply because they cannot afford the gas as they live about 13 miles from the church. The are dedicated Christians but simply are having a difficult time. With their hardships they do good just to get to church Sundays and most Wednesdays but simply cannot afford to participate in off night ministries or functions. As a result of the hardships the father has to get a second part time job just to stay afloat and to be able to provide a meager Christmas for his kids. This eats up most of his time and eliminates his participation on off night ministry even more.

Would you say this person is out of the will of God somehow?

Should he just dive into all the extra off night functions at church and trust trust God to supply the gas and meet his needs instead of getting another job? Is he "not putting the Kingdom first" if he has to work two jobs? Or is God trying to tell him its time to move to an areas where better work is available?

I knew a man who was an unpaid associate pastor at a church. He and his family lost everything during a hurricane. They both worked but could not catch up. He did not get a second job because he would not have been able to continue to carry the load at church he normally did. He finally had to declare bankruptcy. Now if he had, for a season, curtailed some of his ministry involvement to work a second job, his pastor would have not been happy (I know him). Yet this man ends up having to declare bankruptcy. He refused to curtail any "ministry" activity even for a season in order to remain "faithful". Wouldn't it have been more noble and godly to get a second job for just a season?

Last edited by Originalist; 09-20-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Re: Question primarily for pastors

God has not called pastors to be dictators over other people's lives. Some of the things you mentioned are hard things to deal with and I think the individual that is going through things like these should make decisions prayer fully and wisely. Pastors aren't called to be financial advisors, but spiritual advisors.

A lot of times are financial hardships are from living above are means. We often feel like we need so many things because most in our culture have them. How about learning to live cheap and try staying out of debt.
The only debt people have to have is their house and maybe a car. Why not buy a cheap car or live in a smaller house with less extravagance until you have saved enough to pay or make payments with more ease.

I am very sorry for people who have unexpected tragedy that is no fault of their own pull them down into hardships.I believe that would be a place where people in the church should fulfill their role and help one another. Job experienced financial ruin in his day and God had a plan for it all. We must continue to trust in God and understand that there are a lot of more important things than our financial status.

If we aren't careful we can fall into the money trap and begin to serve the god of this world(mammon).
Old 09-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

It's going to be hard for non-pastors not to post on this.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
God has not called pastors to be dictators over other people's lives. Some of the things you mentioned are hard things to deal with and I think the individual that is going through things like these should make decisions prayer fully and wisely. Pastors aren't called to be financial advisors, but spiritual advisors.

A lot of times are financial hardships are from living above are means. We often feel like we need so many things because most in our culture have them. How about learning to live cheap and try staying out of debt.
The only debt people have to have is their house and maybe a car. Why not buy a cheap car or live in a smaller house with less extravagance until you have saved enough to pay or make payments with more ease.

I am very sorry for people who have unexpected tragedy that is no fault of their own pull them down into hardships.I believe that would be a place where people in the church should fulfill their role and help one another. Job experienced financial ruin in his day and God had a plan for it all. We must continue to trust in God and understand that there are a lot of more important things than our financial status.

If we aren't careful we can fall into the money trap and begin to serve the god of this world(mammon).
The first example in my post was someone who lost a lucrative income , had to sell his 3/2 1400sf home, and moved into a 30 yrs old double wide mobile home he inherited from his mother as she had died about the time he lost his income. He lives on 5 acres zoned agriculture, but has no money to maintain the property which is annoying his neighbors. This family of 4 is making about 1200 dollars a month. Even with no house or car payment they barely make it.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I wasn't meaning to sound judgmental of the specific situation you were mentioning. Most situations are not the case though. I am a bi-vocational pastor who has a family of four who lives on 20acres of agricultural property on aprox. 1400.00 a month. I know exactly how hard it is. I could probably be hustling and making more money, but I choose to have less money for more time for the church and my family.

It is not easy but God always provides. As a pastor I have watched people make poor financial decisions, but I try to be careful how and if I even speak to them about it. My job is to lead the church I have been appointed in a spiritual direction, but when you go prying into peoples personal finances you could be making a mistake. I believe you may have the title pastor of a church in a local city, but to actually be a person's pastor is up to them.

My prayers go out to your friend.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I wasn't meaning to sound judgmental of the specific situation you were mentioning. Most situations are not the case though. I am a bi-vocational pastor who has a family of four who lives on 20acres of agricultural property on aprox. 1400.00 a month. I know exactly how hard it is. I could probably be hustling and making more money, but I choose to have less money for more time for the church and my family.

It is not easy but God always provides. As a pastor I have watched people make poor financial decisions, but I try to be careful how and if I even speak to them about it. My job is to lead the church I have been appointed in a spiritual direction, but when you go prying into peoples personal finances you could be making a mistake. I believe you may have the title pastor of a church in a local city, but to actually be a person's pastor is up to them.

My prayers go out to your friend.

You being the pastor I'd say the sacrifices you are making are appropriate. However, the pastor of the brother who declared bankruptcy lives in an exclusive neighborhood, drives a fancy car, does not have to work, etc. How dare he get stand there and let an associate declare bankruptcy instead of releasing him to relinquish some responsibilities for a season?

Last edited by Originalist; 09-20-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Thus the use of the word "primarily". Feel free to jump in.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Lets face the facts. To many Pastors, saints serving God amounts to 2 things.

1. Church attendance.
2. Tithe paying.

There is usually no Church vision than that.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Lets face the facts. To many Pastors, saints serving God amounts to 2 things.

1. Church attendance.
2. Tithe paying.

There is usually no Church vision than that.
I agree.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
They might think he said Posters

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.