Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

Can lyrics be a sin?

I heard a preacher say that if you were singing lyrics that were not true you were singing a lie. For instance if you join in with the congregation singing Im Saved Im Saved and Im So Glad About It and you know your not its a lie. Some of the old hymns have lyrics that refer to people waiting on us up there. The list could get long. If you sing one of these songs are you singing a lie??
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Re: Can lyrics be a sin?

If you thank God for something that has not yet come to pass is it a lie?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Matthew 7:6

Sometimes I think that some preachers sit around trying to think of stuff they can declare to be a "sin".

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Standing fast in liberty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
Sometimes I think that some preachers sit around trying to think of stuff they can declare to be a "sin".
For TRUE!

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2.15 KJV
Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak1972 View Post
I heard a preacher say that if you were singing lyrics that were not true you were singing a lie. For instance if you join in with the congregation singing Im Saved Im Saved and Im So Glad About It and you know your not its a lie. Some of the old hymns have lyrics that refer to people waiting on us up there. The list could get long. If you sing one of these songs are you singing a lie??
I read that in a book by PPH in the classics called "The Sin of Lying" some of the stuff that book said was way too much.

The power of positive thinking is not to be taken lightly IMO. Smiling when your unhappy, whistling when your blue and just acting cheery when you not are all technically lies but are they sins?

In some cases I think it is the intent that is the sin, deceitfulness is the sin involved with lying, a husband playing a joke on his wife for Christmas etc. what kind of world would be in if those things were not allowed.

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
That is exactly the situation, I think.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
That is exactly the situation, I think.
Don't think, it's a sin.

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

I firmly believe that ANY lyrics that do not include the phrase "sweet by and by" or "over yonder" ARE sinful.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I firmly believe that ANY lyrics that do not include the phrase "sweet by and by" or "over yonder" ARE sinful.
I think this an attempt at humor but I can't tell because your hair looks so serious.