Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Re: Can/Should Christians Be Democrats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
Obviously, a lot of this is a matter of opinion, yet there is something you brought up that I feel is worth mentioning. You mentioned “Capital Punishment” through the Old Testament it was supported, yet Jesus made mention of that in Matthew 5:38-44, the world has there laws and if they want to kill people for their deeds, that’s up to the state or the feds. Yet, within the church, were told not to commit murder, its no longer an eye for an eye, yet its love your enemies. We shouldn’t support death, we (i.e The Church) should support and preach mercy and forgiveness! The Bible says “The Meek shall inherit the earth.” That’s another reason why it baffles me to see “Christians” finding the need to Carry their weapons to church? They have more faith in that weapon then they do in the name of Jesus. Sorry about the rant, I get off on one subject and it turns into another.
Yes a lot of this is based on opinion. However some opinions are based on scripture. Some? ...

Not so much.

Read Jesus’ words below.

Luke 22

35] And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
[36] Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Later Jesus said this ...

John.18

[10] Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
[11] Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

He didn’t rebuke Peter for HAVING a sword. He explained to him that His Father had ordained that these events were to take place.

And another thing ... Killing and murder are not always the same thing.

AND ...

Don’t apologize for ranting. We are NOT ranting. We are engaging in civilized discourse.

Ranting is what everyone else is doing.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Support for the poor is NOT.a "liberal" thing. Conservatives routinely give more for charitable causes than liberals. Liberal "support for the poor" is code for more taxes, welfare, and bloated bureaucracy. The liberal wants charity and alms to be a mandated goverment program rather than a personal act of charity and almsgiving.

Meanwhile, modern liberals are full blown bolshevik communists and so called conservatives are Trotskyite communists. Two wings on the same filthy bird. Bird poop is bird poop, whether it's from a pidgeon or a woodpecker.
I really don’t disagree with most of this. I have often said that both parties are trying to take us to the same destination. The difference is that one is going about a hundred mph, and the other is doing seventy.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

the occasional exception

Normally you could not vote for the democrats because of their pro-killing position on abortion and their mangling a generation of children (grown-ups coming soon) with poisonous vaccinations, in the pocket of Pharma-$$$.

Their could be occasional exceptions. The Louisiana governor, John Bel Edwards, who just won against a Trumpite signed one of the best womb protection bills in the country.

"John Bel Edwards has cast himself as a conservative Democrat, who is anti-abortion and pro-guns" - Vox

Plus he is fiscally conservative, and took the state into some sort of budget surplus. Far more fiscally responsible than Trump and his minions.

Edwards even attended a White House state dinner.

And I know that Mississippi is one of the states owned by Pharma-$$$. Not sure how Louisiana is doing. Go, Parishes, Go!

Last edited by Steven Avery; 11-17-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Re: the occasional exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
Normally you could not vote for the democrats because of their pro-killing position on abortion and their mangling a generation of children (grown-ups coming soon) with poisonous vaccinations, in the pocket of Pharma-$$$.

Their could be occasional exceptions. The Louisiana governor, John Bel Edwards, who just won against a Trumpite signed one of the best womb protection bills in the country.

"John Bel Edwards has cast himself as a conservative Democrat, who is anti-abortion and pro-guns" - Vox

Plus he is fiscally conservative, and took the state into some sort of budget surplus. Far more fiscally responsible than Trump and his minions.

Edwards even attended a White House state dinner.

And I know that Mississippi is one of the states owned by Pharma-$$$. Not sure how Louisiana is doing. Go, Parishes, Go!
My opinion is when you get that high in the pyramid of the U.S government, your in a state of corruption. It doesn’t matter to me, if its Trump, Ted Cruz, Jim Abbott, Clinton, Biden etc. there all of the same spirit. There is a price to pay to get to that ladder. Now, with that said, I do believe Trump means well, I believe he is a business man that wanted to make millions before and there has nothing changed from that. What I thought was good on his part is, we as voters knew what we were getting in a President if we voted for him. He hasn’t changed, his very crude, frank, New York Mobster style tactics! Ive heard several Apostolic's tell me “Ted Cruz is a Christian”, that always puzzled me or anyone they say is a Christian. I would venture to say 85% of these men are Masons, plain and simple, I don’t care if you have a “R” or “D” after your name that means nothing to me. Also, just because they say they stand for Life, Biblical Marriage, Guns, God & Country, doesn’t mean a thing. All of them go into congress middle class and then end up super wealthy, look it up as far as their salary before and after there term.

I think a lot of our issues stem from that we believe this nation was founded on Jesus Christ! Be careful not to confuse morals with biblical salvation. If that was the case 80% of America was saved from the start through 1950’s. Remember this nation was started on Rebellion, the Bible says rebellion is Witchcraft. We have the issues in this country not because of Republican or Democrat but because of the prince spirit that rests over this country.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Remember this nation was started on Rebellion
Nicodemus, I don’t think you know what you are talking about.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Nicodemus, I don’t think you know what you are talking about.
Read your history! Boston Tea Party comes to mind.... American Independence sprung forth from the hearts of men that said, “No taxation without representation.” America was built by those that rebelled their authority. Now, you can write all about how it was good for them to do that, yet it was started from rebellion!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Read your history! Boston Tea Party comes to mind.... American Independence sprung forth from the hearts of men that said, “No taxation without representation.” America was built by those that rebelled their authority. Now, you can write all about how it was good for them to do that, yet it was started from rebellion!
Nicodemus,

I think what Coksiw may be referring to is that you have used a scripture out of context. Let’s look at the scripture, in the proper context.

1 Samuel 15

[22] And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
[23] For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

The context is that Saul rebelled against GOD. It should not be interpreted to mean that ALL rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. Moses, for instance rebelled against Pharoah, but his rebellion was ordained by God. All rebellion is not equal. I think your example of the revolution of the United States against the UK is taken in the wrong context.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Re: the occasional exception

Quote:
Remember this nation was started on Rebellion, the Bible says rebellion is Witchcraft. We have the issues in this country not because of Republican or Democrat but because of the prince spirit that rests over this country.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Nicodemus,

The GB Kingdom was not a Theocracy. During Samuel's time, Israel was.
The English Bill of Rights 1689 forbid the imposition of taxes without the consent of Parliament. Since the colonists had no representation in Parliament, the taxes violated the guaranteed Rights of Englishmen. Hence, the "No taxation without representation". The GB was violating its own law. They were not being short tempered and rebellious, they were looking for the right treatment and justice.
Looking for justice is difference than looking for vengeance and also different than rebellion. As individuals you submit to authorities, but when you are the authority you are expected to do justice to the people under you. So if the people above you want you to do injustice, you have two options: you quit your authority, or you oppose.
The colonies were started by people that wanted religious freedom instead of persecution from the Church of England. If you consider that a Rebellion, then you need to first see their arguments in details; read about the Separatist Puritans and their actual documents and appeal to the king in a very pacific way, for example. If after reading that you still think it was Rebellion, then Peter and the apostles were in sin when they disobeyed the council in Act 5:29.
That being said, not everyone in the colonies came for the same reason.

The reality was more complex than your simplistic application of the Bible verse to what happened in America. I wouldn't raise my finger and judge them as "guilty of Rebellion". You gotta be wiser than that and fear God.

But as it always happens in human history, earthly kingdoms eventually become beasts, regardless of how beautiful and love for Biblical righteousness and justice their start was. What's going on nowadays doesn't negate what happened during the birth of this country.

Last edited by coksiw; 11-18-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
The Dems removed God from their party platform in 2016. They support, promote and encourage not just abortions, but also have began to support infanticide. They actively assault traditional families and religious beliefs. They're against school choice and promote government as the answer. They support illegal immigrants over legal citizens.

The GOP loves war, though the Dems are becoming more hawkish since Obama and Hillary.

Both parties support LGBT and love to spend your money.

I voted once for a Democrat Senator. But that was long ago when the Blue Dogs were still around. He was also very conservative and pro-life.

As for me and my house, I would never vote for a Dem today. They oppose literally everything we stand for.
GOP loves War....really. Quite the catchall statement. You want to qualify it.