Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-23-2017, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading Currently, 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I forgot to mention I'm reading through the New Testament in the New King James Version of the Bible, currently in Luke, and also reading through the Old Testament in the English Standard Version of the Bible, currently in Job, and skip, hop, and jumping my way through the Old Testament in the New Living Translation of the Bible, currently in Ezekiel.

If I didn't spend so much time here, I might have finished more of these books I keep buying.
Finished the Gospel of John today in the New King James Version. Am also reading a verse by verse commentary on Revelation called:

The Message of the Book of Revelation by Charles T. Chapman, Jr.

Available here: https://litpress.org/Products/2111/T...-of-Revelation

I picked it up at a second hand store my MIL works at in Menominee, U.P. of Michigan.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 04-23-2017, 01:30 AM
Covenant Apostolic

• Walking with God, John Eldredge
  • Why Revival Tarries, Leonard Ravenhill
  • None Dare Call it Conspiracy, Gary Allen
  • End Time Delusions, Steve Wohlberg
  • Thy Kingdom Came, Michael F. Blume
  • Christian History Made Easy, Timothy Paul Jones, PhD
  • One Year Bible, NLT
Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 PM
Yeshua is God

I highly recommend the great book "The Original Matthew 28:19 Restored"
Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Administrator

"Shattered" the book about Hillary Clinton's 2016 Presidential campaign.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
"Shattered" the book about Hillary Clinton's 2016 Presidential campaign.
is it good? my husband was talking about getting it
Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
is it good? my husband was talking about getting it
So far pretty good if you are a hard core political follower like I am. Interesting to get a glimpse of the inside of the campaign. It is written pretty fair handedly but you get the feeling the authors are Democrats just aggravated at how poor their candidate was and how poor of a campaign she ran.

One take from the book that confirmed my view was they said that Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump had a set of beliefs that everything they did and said was wrapped around (no matter how crazy in both cases! LOL) where Hillary didn't really have a vision for America. She was just counting on her advisers and speech writers to come up with one for her. She is smart but in many ways clueless. She has been in a bubble too long. Adored as a Governor's wife, then as First Lady, then a Senator and finally Secretary of State.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Been doing more watching than reading. Watching tons of preaching and debates. Mainly focused on debates dealing with refuting cessationism. Been reading through both the old and new testaments as I'm being led.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I forgot to mention I'm reading through the New Testament in the New King James Version of the Bible, currently in Luke, and also reading through the Old Testament in the English Standard Version of the Bible, currently in Job, and skip, hop, and jumping my way through the Old Testament in the New Living Translation of the Bible, currently in Ezekiel.

If I didn't spend so much time here, I might have finished more of these books I keep buying.
I finished reading Job in the ESV a while ago, and am in Psalms. Still in Ezekiel in the NLT, but am in Acts in the NKJV.

Recently bought and assembled a new bookshelf, so I could give my many books a proper home instead of the floor and nightstand.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I finished reading Job in the ESV a while ago, and am in Psalms. Still in Ezekiel in the NLT, but am in Acts in the NKJV.

Recently bought and assembled a new bookshelf, so I could give my many books a proper home instead of the floor and nightstand.
My wife and I have begin reading through the Gospel of Matthew with our children, from a Family Devotion Bible (ESV)*. We intend to read through the rest of the Gospels and Acts, and then, decide from there what to read next.

Sometimes I do the reading, sometimes my wife. We then do some explaining of concepts or other relevant info at a level our children can understand.

*This is the Bible:

https://www.christianbook.com/esv-fa...1499/pd/551499

Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Just read over my last few responses and realized I am in the same places as before.

Still reading Acts in the NKJV. Still reading the Psalms in the ESV. Still reading Matthew with the family, from the ESV. Still reading Jerusalem: The Biography by Simon Sebig Montefiore.

I just haven't been reading much lately. I seem to go in waves, with crests and valleys, where I am reading constantly, then very little, then back to a lot.

The last few books I've purchased are The True Jesus: Uncovering the Divinity of Christ in the Gospels by David Limbaugh, 1984 by George Orwell, and Commentary on the Torah, with a New English Translation and the Hebrew Text by Richard Elliot Friedman.

I am really looking forward to the last one, as Genesis is my favorite book of the Bible, and Abraham is my favorite personage/character of the Bible.