Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Garden Path
Facebook

Notices

The Garden Path For the Green Thumbs among us, share your gardening secrets here!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Gardening Basics

http://www.hgtv.com/topics/garden/index.html

basil ('Purple Ruffles' or 'Dani')
sage
oregano
common thyme
sweet marjoram
lavender
rosemary
parsley
chives
cilantro
Pick a Location

Pick the location for your herb garden. An ideal location would be a few steps from your kitchen, but any spot that gets about six hours of sun a day is good. If you have space in front of a kitchen window, plant the herbs in small containers for an indoor garden.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Gardening Basics

I don't know if we are going to have a garden this year. Mike is still so sick, not able to get out and do much outside at all.

Our son and DIL will probably do what they can, they always help anyway.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
of 9!! :)

And for us, it's just less expensive to buy from the local
Farmer's Market's.

but, it's still fun to watch a few tomato and cucumber plants
grow and produce.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

I will be posting some pictures soon of our pepper garden and potato barrels.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I don't know if we are going to have a garden this year. Mike is still so sick, not able to get out and do much outside at all.

Our son and DIL will probably do what they can, they always help anyway.
I'm sorry to hear that your husband is still not feeling well Cindy! Gardens are a lot of work! Hopefully your son will help you out!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
And for us, it's just less expensive to buy from the local
Farmer's Market's.

but, it's still fun to watch a few tomato and cucumber plants
grow and produce.
We tried to grow tomatoes here last summer, and I got ONE ripe tomato out of about six plants! I had to take the rest of the green tomatoes inside and ripen them in a cardboard box. We planted around the middle of June, and had our first frost the last weekend in August. The weather here is not conducive to tomatoes unless you have a greenhouse

So, we did what you did, went down to the local market and bought our tomatoes...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I will be posting some pictures soon of our pepper garden and potato barrels.
Interesting! Can't wait
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
We tried to grow tomatoes here last summer, and I got ONE ripe tomato out of about six plants! I had to take the rest of the green tomatoes inside and ripen them in a cardboard box. We planted around the middle of June, and had our first frost the last weekend in August. The weather here is not conducive to tomatoes unless you have a greenhouse

So, we did what you did, went down to the local market and bought our tomatoes...
Yeah, I know it is hard in some places. Did y'all try fried green tomatoes? They are yummy.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Forever Loved Admin

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

Ingredients

Oil
4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch rings
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch paprika
Buttermilk Dipping Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

In a deep-fryer, preheat oil to 350 degrees F.

Season tomatoes, on both sides, with salt and pepper. Place flour and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, beat eggs with the milk. In another dish, mix bread crumbs with cayenne and paprika. Dredge tomatoes through the flour, then the eggs, and then through the bread crumbs. Add only a few pieces to the fryer at a time, so they can cook evenly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:

Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:

1 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Neelys BBQ sauce
1 lime, juiced
4 scallions, sliced thin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the apple cider and brown sugar. Allow to reduce until thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

In a medium bowl, add buttermilk, mayonnaise, BBQ sauce and lime juice and whisk well. Add in the scallions and the apple cider mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve with Fried Green Tomatoes.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Ingredients

3 or 4 large firm green tomatoes
Salt
2 cups vegetable or peanut oil, for deep-frying
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups self-rising flour
Freshly ground black pepper

Vidalia Onion Relish:

2 white onions, diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Directions

Slice the tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Lay them out in a shallow baking pan and sprinkle with salt. Place the tomato slices in a colander and allow time for salt to pull the water out of the tomatoes, approximately 30 minutes.

In a skillet, heat the oil for deep-frying over medium-high heat.

Dip the tomatoes into buttermilk, then dredge them into flour with a dash of pepper. Deep-fry until golden brown. Keep warm.