Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

What About the Lost.......

The Bible mentions at least three types of "lost". There is the coin, which was lost, but didn't know it was lost, and therefore could do nothing about it. Then there is the sheep which was lost, knew it was lost, but couldn't do anything about it. Then the Prodigal Son was lost, knew he was lost, and knew what to do about it.
In another thread someone mentioned the responsibility of those still in the church to go out and seek those who have left, (of their own volition), for the purpose of restoration. (More specifically, those in the ministry) In the example given, the Shepherd went out to find the lost sheep because that sheep was wounded and unable to return on his own. I think that would be an example of someone who has fallen and discouragement has left them wounded. Go find them. But, in the case of the Prodigal, he left of his own choosing. No fall, no discouragement, he just decided to leave. "Father" did not go out and actively seek him. Instead he waited, with open arms for his son to come home. Now, I believe wholeheartedly in restoration and thank God daily for it. And I believe we should "leave the light on" and make sure they know they are welcome home. But isn't "coming to himself" part of Gods restoration process? Do we need to waste (that is a terrible word in this context but it serves a purpose) time seeking those who know the way home, when so many are really lost (coin) or really wounded (sheep)? The "Father' had deep concern and deep compassion, but he stayed home. Is there a lesson here? I know this post opens me up to severe criticism and misunderstanding, but I would sincerely like to hear the thinking of you who would care to give this some thought. Remember, I am talking about those who made a conscience, calculated decision to leave.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
The Bible mentions at least three types of "lost". There is the coin, which was lost, but didn't know it was lost, and therefore could do nothing about it. Then there is the sheep which was lost, knew it was lost, but couldn't do anything about it. Then the Prodigal Son was lost, knew he was lost, and knew what to do about it.
In another thread someone mentioned the responsibility of those still in the church to go out and seek those who have left, (of their own volition), for the purpose of restoration. (More specifically, those in the ministry) In the example given, the Shepherd went out to find the lost sheep because that sheep was wounded and unable to return on his own. I think that would be an example of someone who has fallen and discouragement has left them wounded. Go find them. But, in the case of the Prodigal, he left of his own choosing. No fall, no discouragement, he just decided to leave. "Father" did not go out and actively seek him. Instead he waited, with open arms for his son to come home. Now, I believe wholeheartedly in restoration and thank God daily for it. And I believe we should "leave the light on" and make sure they know they are welcome home. But isn't "coming to himself" part of Gods restoration process? Do we need to waste (that is a terrible word in this context but it serves a purpose) time seeking those who know the way home, when so many are really lost (coin) or really wounded (sheep)? The "Father' had deep concern and deep compassion, but he stayed home. Is there a lesson here? I know this post opens me up to severe criticism and misunderstanding, but I would sincerely like to hear the thinking of you who would care to give this some thought. Remember, I am talking about those who made a conscience, calculated decision to leave.
A couple of observances...

The Shepherd leaves the ninety and nine and goes out and finds the sheep and places it on his shoulders and brings it back...

I think that many could use this as an excuse to NOT contact those that have left and feel justified that they didn't have to...

Sometimes a Phone call or letter of concern can make a big difference in letting folks know you still care...

I have heard it preached from the platform that if you leave the church the Pastor has no responsibility to come after you...

I think that any TRUE shepherd would try... sometimes it's worth the effort..
imo...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

RevRandy.... I don't think that you followed Defender's train of thought. I understand him to be saying...... what about the person who made a conscious decision to walk away. How much time and energy should a minister (or even a layperson) be expected to put into going out into highways and byways to compel that one to come back. The Bible says the prodigal "came to himself" and made the same conscious decision to come back to the Father's House.

The coin.... those are the people who have never heard and we try to reach by many methods.... the sheep - was wounded or "strayed" for any number of reasons and we make every effort to restore ..... the prodigal - he told his father, "give me what's mine - I'm leaving" It was a conscious choice that caused him to wind up in the pig pen - and he made a conscious choice to return.

So to me, the question that was raised is where does the responsibility end to bring the prodigal home? - or does it ever end? The father waited until the prodigal came home - he didn't go to the pigpen to get him...

This is just my intrepretation.....
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11