Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post

Furthermore, if said standards are placed on women because of the fear that men lust uncontollably, then we are beginning to look at fear and oppression in the name of religion rather than freedom to move in Christ. The same kind of warped reasons are given for cloaking muslim women with or without their consent.

DING ... DING ... DING ... WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 02:04 PM

Psst ... Dora stop praying and take a safety pin ....
Old 09-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Jellybean!

This has been an interesting thread CH...I didn't realize the early church had such a hand in the degradation of women. And that it's lasted this long for so many centuries.

Do you think our modern society, with the liberties women have embraced in the last couple decades, is getting closer to the ideal treatment of women Christ had in mind?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhomie View Post
You are probably right, truth is that most oppression is never recognized and self-perceived. A women who is in an abusive relationship whether...emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, etc. is usually told this is either her fault, a blessing from God and an honor to Him. I'm not a psychologist, but I can tell you that living in abuse eventually leads to a pattern of gratitude towards the abuser if the abuser is meeting the needs of the abused and is consistently degraded to the point there is no self worth... clear classic signs of an abuser is taking advantage of that degraded mentality and after a while the abused will serve the abuser.
This is why it becomes so difficult to leave abusive relationships. The abused feels either hopeless, everybody is this way, or this is normal and I'll just make the best of this, until it eventually becomes a part of her/his DNA and then they actually will defend the abuser.
Hogwash.

I don't know a single pastor who does that.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Jellybean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhomie View Post
Amen to that ! I will say this, at the Virginia Campmeeting this year a certain preacher said something to the woman they should be greatful that the men don't make their women wear what the moslems wear. That Islam is the fasting growing religion and the women should be greatful for their standards. Im only repeating what I heard from an individual that was there. Howbeit, if you hold a gun to a womans head, I guess she'll wear anything.
Isn't this just manipulation?

"Be thankful...it could be worse!"
Old 09-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Jellybean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
Hogwash.

You've never heard of a pastor that says that if a woman wears dresses only, she is doing it to honor God?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mrs View Post
You've never heard of a pastor that says that if a woman wears dresses only, she is doing it to honor God?
oloroid
Old 09-15-2007, 02:13 PM
crazyhomie

Quote:
This has been an interesting thread CH...I didn't realize the early church had such a hand in the degradation of women. And that it's lasted this long for so many centuries.

Do you think our modern society, with the liberties women have embraced in the last couple decades, is getting closer to the ideal treatment of women Christ had in mind?
No doubt Jesus came to set everyone free including women. The spirit that is in the church today as a whole against women can usually be found with an underlying layer of contempt for a women. Mother/Grandmother, Sisters, etc. I was recently at a conference where the preacher was preaching on standards for women, he was so abusive it made me sick to my stomach.
This is not the spirit of Chirst. This is offense and anger.
To answer your question, the bible is 2K years old and culturally God does not expect this generation or any other generation to adhere to the abusive treatment of women that was and still is a part of many cultures including the middle east. The muslim world today still dengrates women to the extent that the fathers are justified in honor killing their daughters if they disgrace the family. My answer is YES, Jesus liberates all. Where the spirit of the Lord is there is liberty.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:15 PM
crazyhomie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
Hogwash.

I didn't say this was a Pastor, why are you so defensive...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
You missed the part he was replying to

Quote:
A women who is in an abusive relationship whether...emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, etc. is usually told this is either her fault, a blessing from God and an honor to Him

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.