Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station
Facebook

Notices

The Information Station A help forum with answers to frequently asked questions - includes our Forum Rules and updates or announcements from the Admin Team.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Ad Ware- Spy Ware Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
I can't get my Windows Updates installed. Don't understand why. I do have good virus protection and all the bells and whistles with AVG. Mostly my Windows IE and security updates that won't install.
Make sure your firewall is not blocking it.

For both of you one tool to get is Hijackthis.

DL it and install it. Run it with a full scan and log. Take the log to MajorGeeks or castlecops or some place and tell them what problem you have. Run HJT in safe mode.

Do not use it to "fix" anything other than what a tech guy says at one of those websites (also let me see it as I know some problems to fix too)

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Don't install tea timer.

BTW a tracking cookie is a text document websites place on the pc to track what other pages you have visited
To late I wasn't sure and it was downloaded with Spybot. How do I remove it or disable it?
BTW all the scans so far are not showing anything.
I have heard of the program Highjackthis.I've been very hesitant about dl it as i'm not real sure I would understand all the instructions.
I'm happy for now as i'm not having any problems. I will run the Spybot in safe mode soon. I've neglected some things the past few days with this so have to spend time on other things not computer related tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help Praxeas.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnhisle View Post
To late I wasn't sure and it was downloaded with Spybot. How do I remove it or disable it?
BTW all the scans so far are not showing anything.
I have heard of the program Highjackthis.I've been very hesitant about dl it as i'm not real sure I would understand all the instructions.
I'm happy for now as i'm not having any problems. I will run the Spybot in safe mode soon. I've neglected some things the past few days with this so have to spend time on other things not computer related tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help Praxeas.
Did you say you are not having anymore problems?

HJT, all you need to do is a scan with log and post the log in a tech forum. You still have that simbar thing? Did you check add/remove programs to see if it is there?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Would it be safe to disable my firewalls to download and install my updates? I have two firewalls.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you say you are not having anymore problems?

HJT, all you need to do is a scan with log and post the log in a tech forum. You still have that simbar thing? Did you check add/remove programs to see if it is there?
I'm not showing the Simbar in any of the scans or any other problems.

BTW I'm not at EA and haven't been over to the ning.com page where the original notice popped up telling me that I had Simbar on my coputer. I requested my account to be removed and that has been done. I haven't decided if I will register at EA again.
Also ning wanted me to use Firefox and I prefer not to use another browser. I'm happy with IE.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
Would it be safe to disable my firewalls to download and install my updates? I have two firewalls.
you should only have one software firewall running. Having two can cause problems. I would never disable them while on the internet...if you have broadband any time the PC is on you are usually also connected to the internet. Why would you need to shut them down?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnhisle View Post
I'm not showing the Simbar in any of the scans or any other problems.

BTW I'm not at EA and haven't been over to the ning.com page where the original notice popped up telling me that I had Simbar on my coputer. I requested my account to be removed and that has been done. I haven't decided if I will register at EA again.
Also ning wanted me to use Firefox and I prefer not to use another browser. I'm happy with IE.
Firefox is safer.

I don't know why a notice would popup AT ning saying you have simbar unless it was asking if they can install it

Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Go Dodgers!

Did you ever see something built into your browser that said simbar? it may be that what happened is no infection at all, just a warning that an email contained it or a website was trying to install it

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you ever see something built into your browser that said simbar? it may be that what happened is no infection at all, just a warning that an email contained it or a website was trying to install it
To be perfectly honest Praxeas since all this has taken place and trying to getSpybot and Ad-ware to run properly they wouldn't before I upgraded to Vista.
So far everything is running that I have always used.
I'm sure Firefox is a good browser. I've read it is. I may eventually try it out. I've heard some have to still use IE for some programs.
I just don't think I'm ready to do the switching. I can hardly walk and chew gum at the same time. Oldtimers /Age must be getting to me.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Praxeas I did download Sweet Im's for windows Live messenger awhile back. I didn't like it and deleted it through the add-remove. The toolbar was installed with the program and I have ben unable to remove it.I however have been able to disable it.
I have learned that toolbars are very hard to remove.