Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-30-2021, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

Heh heh heh...
Old 12-01-2021, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

The quote is from 1919. This is early in her ministry and reflects her views about women in ministry and is a bit biographic about her public speaking progression of experience.

Finding early information about her life is not easy. It is an interesting quote.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:23 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
The quote is from 1919. This is early in her ministry and reflects her views about women in ministry and is a bit biographic about her public speaking progression of experience.

Finding early information about her life is not easy. It is an interesting quote.
Scott, who cares about finding information about her life. The Bible is such a huge library of right things. If people spent as much time in finding out that information, they wouldn't waste their time looking up these ecclesiastical losers.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Some have believed McPherson was Oneness when she was younger. Sorting that out has taken time. Trying to understand her relationships with other California Pentecostals in 1920 has also taken time.

Studying early California Pentecostals is of interest to me.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:02 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Some have believed McPherson was Oneness when she was younger. Sorting that out has taken time. Trying to understand her relationships with other California Pentecostals in 1920 has also taken time.

Studying early California Pentecostals is of interest to me.
Well, you can scratch her off your list. Because she was never a Christian, let alone One God believer. From what I know she was an actress and loved self above anything Biblical. But what does she have to do with Harry Morse? I asked you this question but it looks like you are taking time to figure out an answer?
Old 12-01-2021, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Harry Morse pastored in Oakland. Oakland and San Francisco were ports used by Pentecostal missionaries who travelled to Asia. Many would stop at his mission before or after their travels overseas. McPherson was a early Pentecostal missionary to Asia.

Aimee McPherson had a background in the Salvation Army prior to Azusa Street. Harry Morse was part of a similar group called the Volunteers of America.

McPherson was a woman Pentecostal minister. Harry Morse was a lifelong supporter and promoter of women into ministry.

In 1920, McPherson had a very important crusade in Oakland. Morse used the songbook, or hymnal, made for the event at his church. I do not know if they met at that crusade or what role, if any, he had in it.

McPherson pastored in Los Angeles, not terribly far from the Apostolic Faith Mission pastored by William Seymour. In later years, reunions of the Azusa Street revival would take place at Angeles Temple. Harry Morse was at Azusa Street and knew the leaders and some of they were lifelong friends.

But despite these common threads, I have found no evidence of interaction between Harry Morse and Aimee McPherson.

I did find a few of the students at the Bible School ran by McPherson who transferred to the Bible School operated by Harry Morse.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 12-02-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:03 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Harry Morse pastored in Oakland. Oakland and San Francisco were ports used by Pentecostal missionaries who travelled to Asia. Many would stop at his mission before or after their travels overseas. McPherson was a early Pentecostal missionary to Asia.

Aimee McPherson had a background in the Salvation Army prior to Azusa Street. Harry Morse was part of a similar group called the Volunteers of America.

McPherson was a woman Pentecostal minister. Harry Morse was a lifelong supporter and promoter of women into ministry.

In 1920, McPherson had a very important crusade in Oakland. Morse used the songbook, or hymnal, made for the event at his church. I do not know if they met at that crusade or what role, if any, he had in it.

McPherson pastored in Los Angeles, not terribly far from the Apostolic Faith Mission pastored by William Seymour. In later years, reunions of the Azusa Street revival would take place at Angeles Temple. Harry Morse was at Azusa Street and knew the leaders and some of they were lifelong friends.

But despite these common threads, I have found no evidence of interaction between Harry Morse and Aimee McPherson.

I did find a few of the students at the Bible School ran by McPherson who transferred to the Bible School operated by Harry Morse.
Just as I thought. McPherson has zero to do with this thread.

Just that you are a female preacher enabler, as was Harry Morse. The other "Pentecostals" who were influenced by the Presbyterians, and Methodists. Also Church of the Nazarene, where they kept a lot of the doctrines. Proving that they weren't actually as One God, or Apostolic. Just tongue talking Methodists.

Consider yourself Scott, you are even far removed from what these people believed. They would be utterly horrified at some of your social positions.
If these people were believing that the resurgence of tongues were the precursor to the 2nd advent of Christ. Then honey child, if they could see us today, they would think we were all what was left behind. The effeminacy of early Pentecostalism just made anti effeminate denominations stronger. While people who study the scriptures saw absolutely no place, for women ecclesiastical leadership over adult males. Wives submit to your own husbands, not to anyone else's husband. Let alone husbands submitting to a woman in an ecclesiastical role of leadership. Hence the early Pentecostals had to split early on not just because of the Trinity, or the baptisms of titles vs Jesus name. They had to split ( which is hardly ever dealt with) over allowing Sisters to be Misters The Baptists, Nazarene, Church of Christ all went through struggles, just because they couldn't understand the scriptures but were blinded by some who held to liberalism. Keep silent, and don't teach, is as easy as ABC, 1-2-3, do re mi. Sadly religions are modified by emotional liberals who want to gain converts through adopting norms of their current culture. As for McPherson her culture saw the rise of decadent age which may have had the first generation of independent American women. Women who were pushing barriers in economic, political and sexual social norms. Therefore it would be no wonder that you would have a push for more popular female preachers. Whoa Man preachers, and effeminate males.

Good grief.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

So I was given a book recently called "Miracles Signs and Wonders Wrought in the ministry of Mary Woodworth Etter"

Pentecostal Pioneer Series.

Tongues of fire for Jesus.

Copyright 1984, Apostolic Book Publishers
Old 12-02-2021, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

The foreword states: MB Woodward-Etter.

I quote: I received a wonderful anointing and enduement of power. (Speaking in tongues)

She claims that she had been saved for 9 months before this.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Anybody read this book? It seems that she was a contemporary of Hall, Goss, Opperman and Haywood.