Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Re: Should a music director read music?

It seems to me the musicians that can’t play by ear are afraid they will not be very useful to a leader that plays by ear.

I think they may be correct.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
It seems to me the musicians that can’t play by ear are afraid they will not be very useful to a leader that plays by ear.

As someone who has been involved with music (in church and out) for many years, this is probably the real reason.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

The only real difference is the fill-ins and turn arounds!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
As someone who has been involved with music (in church and out) for many years, this is probably the real reason.
I think you've nailed it. I'm sure you've seen how territorial some keyboardists can get. Often, the music readers who can't play by ear are the most insecure.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

So true.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

That really shouldn't be an issue. I don't read music, learned by ear, and was a music director/worship leader for just over a decade. The place I was a music director at the longest, the musicians read music and knew the Nashville system. We never had an issue. Even with spontaneous worship.

With new songs, the musicians would meet and practice on their own, while I worked with the vocalists, then we would practice together at the end.

IMO, this could be more about personal preferences and styles. People in general don't like change. Musicians and singers like change even less. Get someone who has a different style and does things different from what everyone has been used to and are comfortable with, and there will be some who won't like it and push back against it.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
That really shouldn't be an issue. I don't read music, learned by ear, and was a music director/worship leader for just over a decade. The place I was a music director at the longest, the musicians read music and knew the Nashville system. We never had an issue. Even with spontaneous worship.

With new songs, the musicians would meet and practice on their own, while I worked with the vocalists, then we would practice together at the end.

IMO, this could be more about personal preferences and styles. People in general don't like change. Musicians and singers like change even less. Get someone who has a different style and does things different from what everyone has been used to and are comfortable with, and there will be some who won't like it and push back against it.
If the idea is for music in the church to be more spontaneous then needing to pause find the correct song in your song book etc definetely is a concern.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post

I think you misunderstand too. No one believes it’s a problem for the person that can only play by ear. He will be fine in either situation. It’s a potential problem for those that cannot play by ear
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Seriously if someone having to find a song disrupts the flow of the Holy Ghost it sounds like there is a depth of the spirit issue and too many people going off physical emotion that might have nothing to do with actually being in the spirit.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Seriously if someone having to find a song disrupts the flow of the Holy Ghost it sounds like there is a depth of the spirit issue and too many people going off physical emotion that might have nothing to do with actually being in the spirit.
Here lately we have had no music at alter call for the past several weeks. God has just been taking his liberty. Its been great.