Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Go Dodgers!

The Great Falling Away?

On another thread someone refers to Apostolics not holding to the same standards as they as "the great falling away"? Is that true? Is falling away really about whose outward standards we hold to? Never mind those that don't have their standards believe Jesus is Lord. Believe Sin is wrong. Believe and practice prayer. They would condemn adultery, lying, stealing and other things, but because they differ on standards they are part of the great falling away, are heathens and certainly NOT Apostolic (according to Tim Rutledge if you wear long shorts below your knees, you are not Apostolic)

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Re: The Great Falling Away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
On another thread someone refers to Apostolics not holding to the same standards as they as "the great falling away"? Is that true? Is falling away really about whose outward standards we hold to? Never mind those that don't have their standards believe Jesus is Lord. Believe Sin is wrong. Believe and practice prayer. They would condemn adultery, lying, stealing and other things, but because they differ on standards they are part of the great falling away, are heathens and certainly NOT Apostolic (according to Tim Rutledge if you wear long shorts below your knees, you are not Apostolic)
I also asked TR about short sleeves, i.e., what was his scriptural backing.

I'd like to hear the answers from anyone.......

In regards to the "great falling away", this statement is like so many others in scripture, unfortunately, it can be interpreted to mean what the author wants it to mean.

To some, I'm quite sure it means that when Apostolic men wear shorts, they're falling away from the truth. How can you argue with someone's perception or interpretation?
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
I also asked TR about short sleeves, i.e., what was his scriptural backing.

I'd like to hear the answers from anyone.......

In regards to the "great falling away", this statement is like so many others in scripture, unfortunately, it can be interpreted to mean what the author wants it to mean.

To some, I'm quite sure it means that when Apostolic men wear shorts, they're falling away from the truth. How can you argue with someone's perception or interpretation?
Imagine that...Apostasy is shorts below the knees

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

When the "great falling away" is brought up in reference to people leaving "holiness standards" I have to laugh. As a % of the Earths population, conservative apostolics make up a VERY small percentage, then take people who WERE conservative apostolics and no longer are, and it gets vanishingly smaller still.

The Great Falling Away? LOL
Old 07-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
When the "great falling away" is brought up in reference to people leaving "holiness standards" I have to laugh. As a % of the Earths population, conservative apostolics make up a VERY small percentage, then take people who WERE conservative apostolics and no longer are, and it gets vanishingly smaller still.

Yeah that is kinda funny lol

Old 07-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Go Dodgers!

Maybe they should call it the Tiny Falling Away

Old 07-13-2008, 03:04 PM

1Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Communion at AFF

Falling short...never mind
Old 07-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post

Sort of like looking at the Hubble Deep Field for the first time. It makes all of the little things that I demand to be so appear to be rather puny.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Falling short...never mind
You're one of the best Jekyll!

I remember Marvin Treece preaching - really he was suggesting or offering for our consideration - that the "great falling away" was a falling away from sin. In other words a revival.