Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Childrens Ministry

Hello I am Sarrah, I attend Abundant Life Ministries, 1 God Apostolic Church in Anchorage, Alaska. We are a home mission church and have been here for 22 years this year, I have been a part of the Church for working on 20 years now. I am over our Childrens Church Ministry...Looking to take it to the next level, God has moved us to a place of growth and it is time to expand and make others a part of the ministry, any ideas, suggestions, words of wisdom? I know that 1 can chase a thousand, but 2 ten...I have had volunteers, but I always seem to be the ol' faithful, really the only one so far with the commitment

Last edited by Sarrah; 04-09-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Childrens Ministry

Welcome, Sarrah! I think you will find some things that work for you on Amazon typing in Children's Church Curriculum. The feature here is that most of the choices have the option to "Look inside". So, you can review to see if what you are viewing fits what you have in mind. I especially like anything put out by Gospel Light.

If you have been working with children for any length of time, you probably have a host of supplies and props that can be easily incorporated into any lesson you pick up. For instance, I use costumes and have the children act out all of the Bible stories. I never just read a lesson to them. They must be involved to remember anyway.

I find game ideas online and incorporate that into the scripture memorization portion of a lesson, i.e. writing a scripture on a pre-cut design of a round pizza and having them put the pizza together. Any local pizza restaurant is always happy to give you a few boxes to put the forms in - boys racing against the girls. Putting portions of the verse in separate balloons, two colors for boys and girls, race to pop them, find the slips of paper and get the verse worked out. Active games like that go over very well.

Good music which can include incorporating hand motions or other actions.

Awesome artwork in acrylic paint. And there is a huge difference in applying a layer or two of clearcoat after you paint. It's looks more complete. I use queen sheets or drop cloths for my backgrounds - putting foil underneath to catch the wet paint. It peels right off when you are finished and you save your work table. White butcher paper works great to rolls up a scene and store away. Posterboard for smaller objects. Most of the people you draw will not normally be larger than two posterboards. That's easy to take down and store.

Incorporating a way to win a prize throughout the curriculum is always good because then the children will invite their friends and neighbors, making it easier on you to get more coming. They are learning something to win the prize, so it is no freebie.

Always having a snack at the end of the program is a big deal to me. Somehow food is always a winner.

Whatever is uplifting and positive, that's the way to go. That doesn't mean there won't be times to address issues like sin and it's ramifications, but overall, putting Jesus in the role of Savior more than the Judge is a good thing.

I think that Standard Publishing comes across as more Trinitarian in it's wording. JMO.

I am sure you are already doing all of these things, but just wanted to add some things that have been successful for me.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 04-09-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for all your ideas....Love it! Yes I have been doing Childrens Ministries for all of 19 years I think....I think my hurdle right now is, that we are committing to growing as a Church Body...and that means a LOT more kids...I have been the go to for Children's Church for 19 years...I want it to grow as far as laborers, with more teachers and helpers...I am fasting and praying now for the answers, when you pray, mention us please

I never thought of the acrylic idea...nice. All the things you mentioned...we do! It is good to hear that at least I am on the right track...God bless you and thank you for your burden for Children and all your ideas
Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Also I really like the sheet idea with the tin foil...I have painted thru my share of sheets...lol..thanks again
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
Thank you for all your ideas....Love it! Yes I have been doing Childrens Ministries for all of 19 years I think....I think my hurdle right now is, that we are committing to growing as a Church Body...and that means a LOT more kids...I have been the go to for Children's Church for 19 years...I want it to grow as far as laborers, with more teachers and helpers...I am fasting and praying now for the answers, when you pray, mention us please

I never thought of the acrylic idea...nice. All the things you mentioned...we do! It is good to hear that at least I am on the right track...God bless you and thank you for your burden for Children and all your ideas
Acrylic paint rocks. Apple Barrel doesn't. Use good quality acrylic paints. They are thicker and will cut your work time in half.

I will pray with you. If you don't find someone who just wants to do it so that the children will have an excellent church experience growing up, I wouldn't use them at all.

I get into brawls in debates on this forum, () but I am not impatient in any way with the children. They will remember how you treated them for the rest of their lives. And I don't want that on my account. Besides, seeing them happy is an excellent and fulfilling experience.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Also I really like the sheet idea with the tin foil...I have painted thru my share of sheets...lol..thanks again
I like the drop cloths - nice finished edges as well, and they are cheaper. 6x9 is about $10.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Thank you! I see your point on the recruiting people...I think one of the greatest rewards I have been blessed with is my first batch of Children's Church kids who were "unchurched" bringing their kids to me for Sunday School...Praying that God will do MIRACLES and send people my way that really have a BURDEN!!!

What about praying kids through to the Holy Ghost? I find that it isnt happening so much in class time, I keep asking the Lord about it, I find that I have a group of kids that their parents arent really 'Churched' so really the parents need to learn how to disciple their kids...one of the things I am working on now is developing a facebook site, that each week, I let parents know what their kids are learning and posting ways that they can reinforce the lesson at home, crafts, games, and posting coloring contests for them to work with their children during the week and reinforce what is being taught on Sunday.. I think that will help this learning gap I am dealing with.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Thank you! I see your point on the recruiting people...I think one of the greatest rewards I have been blessed with is my first batch of Children's Church kids who were "unchurched" bringing their kids to me for Sunday School...Praying that God will do MIRACLES and send people my way that really have a BURDEN!!!

What about praying kids through to the Holy Ghost? I find that it isnt happening so much in class time, I keep asking the Lord about it, I find that I have a group of kids that their parents arent really 'Churched' so really the parents need to learn how to disciple their kids...one of the things I am working on now is developing a facebook site, that each week, I let parents know what their kids are learning and posting ways that they can reinforce the lesson at home, crafts, games, and posting coloring contests for them to work with their children during the week and reinforce what is being taught on Sunday.. I think that will help this learning gap I am dealing with.
I don't allow people to pressure me to get the kids filled with the Holy Ghost. They have to learn to love and trust God first. And they need to know more than Acts 2:38, repeatedly. My focus is to prepare their hearts to receive God and I've seen the larger percentage of them receive the Holy Ghost at children's camp, children's revival, or a regular church service in the sanctuary. As long as we get them there, I don't care where they are filled. Everyone should want to have that experience.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Not riding the train

Gotta run. I was up late with my grandson last night and I need to take a quick nap before my husband gets home from work. I am so tired. I changed my browser from Firefox to Pale Moon and he isn't going to like it, it's change! It will be easier to be patient with him if I am not tired. LOL! Have a great evening.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

That is a good point thanks for your your insight