Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 06-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

The normal abbreviation for "African American"

Ignorance on the part of some has led to an objection to my use in another thread of the term "Afro-American." The thinking was that this is somehow offensive speech. Naturally, not a shred of documentation was provided to substantiate this baseless claim.

Wikipedia says the following concerning this issue:

Quote:
African Americans (also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans)are an ethnic group of Americans with total or partial ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa. The phrase generally refers to descendants of enslaved black people who are from the United States.
Rather than be a controversial term, Encylopedia Britannica affirms that the term Afro-American was "adopted by civil rights activists to underline pride in their ancestral homeland."

In light of the documented evidence I've presented, I truly would love to hear any evidence that the term Afro-American is somehow offensive. Or is this site pandering for pandering's sake?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:26 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: The normal abbreviation for "African American"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Ignorance on the part of some has led to an objection to my use in another thread of the term "Afro-American." The thinking was that this is somehow offensive speech. Naturally, not a shred of documentation was provided to substantiate this baseless claim.

Wikipedia says the following concerning this issue:

Rather than be a controversial term, Encylopedia Britannica affirms that the term Afro-American was "adopted by civil rights activists to underline pride in their ancestral homeland."

In light of the documented evidence I've presented, I truly would love to hear any evidence that the term Afro-American is somehow offensive. Or is this site pandering for pandering's sake?

Wait what? Are you on the forbidden list? Guys I didnt know! Oh no! I only used one gender and the other 97.5 feel left out! Stupid Will Stupid! Ill just put myself in my box of shame to until become a better human.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Re: The normal abbreviation for "African American"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Wait what? Are you on the forbidden list? Guys I didnt know! Oh no! I only used one gender and the other 97.5 feel left out! Stupid Will Stupid! Ill just put myself in my box of shame to until become a better human.