Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Re: Hair, sleeves, pantsuits, jewelry, and makeup

What part of NOT with gold do you not understand?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Do you wear whatever, or do you wear nice clothing?
There is a misconception that if you don’t wear jewelry,you have conquered pride. The truth is that pride can be manifested in many ways. In Apostolic circles preachers used to like their Lincoln Continentals, now it is more fashionable to drive a Land Rover or a Lincoln Navigator. But for some reason you don’t hear sermons against a nice car or (with the obvious exception of Michael the Disciple) against nice suits. I wonder why.

I had a conversation with a fairly well known ultra-conservative pastor about jewelry once. I informed him that there was scripture that he was either unaware of or that he was possibly ignoring that have a positive bias towards jewelry. He finally conceded that maybe a wedding band would be acceptable.

I’m still smh.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Are you directing this question to me?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Just in case this question was directed to me, allow me to respond. The passage that you seem to be referring to is pasted below. . .

1Pet.3

[1] Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
[2] While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
[3] Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
[4] But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

The specific verse is in bold text. In the interest of following the instructions to rightly divide the Word. Let’s consider what Peter is saying to us.

You believe that he is saying do not wear gold. My question for you is “is he also saying do not wear apparel?” Because that is the only logical conclusion that can be drawn since they both appear in the same verse.

I believe he is saying that the adornment of a meek and quiet spirit is MORE desirable and more acceptable to God than the outward adornment of gold. He certainly doesn’t say that it is a sin to wear gold any more than he says it is a sin to wear apparel.

Do you also preach against wearing apparel?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS View Post
There will be no sin in Heaven so how do we explain streets of gold, walls of jasper, gates of pearl.... just thinking...
Its not literal, besides, the bible doesn't speak of streets of gold.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS View Post
There will be no sin in Heaven so how do we explain streets of gold, walls of jasper, gates of pearl.... just thinking...
Those verses are symbolic of the church, not heaven. See Rev. 21:9, I will show you the bride).
All the songs we hear about streets of gold, yet 3 verses preceding, the city (new Jerusalem) is pure gold. (Not just the streets), (not to
mention Gal. 4:26 reads Jerusalem is from above, and is the church).
But this is basically another topic....

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 02-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Brother Epley,

What part of NOT with gold do I not understand?

Enlighten me please. Use scripture. . . In the proper context, if it is not too much to ask.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Just in case this question was directed to me, allow me to respond. The passage that you seem to be referring to is pasted below. . .

1Pet.3

[1] Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
[2] While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
[3] Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
[4] But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

The specific verse is in bold text. In the interest of following the instructions to rightly divide the Word. Let’s consider what Peter is saying to us.

You believe that he is saying do not wear gold. My question for you is “is he also saying do not wear apparel?” Because that is the only logical conclusion that can be drawn since they both appear in the same verse.

I believe he is saying that the adornment of a meek and quiet spirit is MORE desirable and more acceptable to God than the outward adornment of gold. He certainly doesn’t say that it is a sin to wear gold any more than he says it is a sin to wear apparel.

Do you also preach against wearing apparel?
Bingo!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

1Tim. 2:9 is clearer. Not with gold.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
1Tim. 2:9 is clearer. Not with gold.

1 Peter 3:3 Still includes "apparel" in the prohibition list. Kinda strange that in such a plain speaking verse we want to broad brush as verboten anything gold but compromise on letting people wear apparel.

Its just a slippery slope and we need to get back to the old paths.