Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

New Bishops in UPCI

Is it just me or has there been a huge increase of Pastors becoming Bishops in the UPCI? My suspicion, and I say this respectively, is so they can stay on the payroll long after retirement.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on, what I perceive, as more Pastors becoming Bishops. Are there documented requirements in the UPCI minister's handbook on this topic?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: New Bishops in UPCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoast1 View Post
Is it just me or has there been a huge increase of Pastors becoming Bishops in the UPCI? My suspicion, and I say this respectively, is so they can stay on the payroll long after retirement.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on, what I perceive, as more Pastors becoming Bishops. Are there documented requirements in the UPCI minister's handbook on this topic?
Isnt a Pastor and a Bishop the same thing in the Bible?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

cant someone seek the office of a Bishop and not be a Pastor?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Pastor Emeritus
Old 03-06-2019, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

I don't see it as a negative thing in most circumstances. Sometimes I wonder what churches could have been saved from going charismatic had the voice of the elder been heard a little while longer. I see former pastors being moved into the office of "bishop" in several circles of Pentecost, not just the UPCi.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

And yet...what is the BIBLE difference between the two?
Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
And yet...what is the BIBLE difference between the two?
IMO, the word pastor is more used as a ministry role than a title. I believe there are people with pastoral ministries who do not posses the title pastor. Many churches are filled with unrecognized men who are operating in a pastoral ministry. They are undershepherding saints of God, although they are not being called by the title pastor. I don't think titles were used near as much in the 1st century church as they later were. Bishops and deacons are titles. I believe that a modern pastor would have been titled as a Bishop.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

It often seems these bishops are ministers who are getting older. They are delegating much of the day-to-day pastoral duties to younger men with more energy and stamina while retaining a place in which their seasoned wisdom is still available to the church. I don't see a problem with this. Looks like a win-win situation to me.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derAlte View Post
It often seems these bishops are ministers who are getting older. They are delegating much of the day-to-day pastoral duties to younger men with more energy and stamina while retaining a place in which their seasoned wisdom is still available to the church. I don't see a problem with this. Looks like a win-win situation to me.
This would be the best result.
I do know of cases where the older minister does not have the money for retirement, but does not have the energy to be pastor anymore, so is given the role of "bishop" and a younger man brought in for pastor.
Many pastors do not think of retirement and put all of their money into the church.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Can anyone make a BIBLE CASE that there is a difference between Bishops and Pastors? Is it simply an unscriptural distinction accepted by Apostolic Churches?